The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pittsburgh Penguins 2013-2014

ColRouleBleu

Interesting, Letang is one of the leagues top dmen, but I don't feel the habs have a need for letang.

Unless we send the pens one of our prospects like Ennis or Beaulieu.

It would give us our top dman and can see him playing well with PK.

Personally I'd let another team take him and show a little paitence while we wait for our prospects to develop.

He is a Montreal kid, who knows, would he be willing to take 7 mil from us or lower?

The only reason I'm wondering is that PK subban will need to be re-signed very soon and if we offer Letang that kind of money, we'll almost have to offer PK the same amount. That would 14-15 mil locked up in 2 players, but we'd have one helluva top pairing.

Worth kicking the tires to see what falls loose, but he wouldn't be my top priority. A little bit more than I'd be willing to spend for that top4 dman, but he's young enough to be with us for quite a while and for him and Subban to gel as a duo.

As good as Letang is, I'd almost rather make a play for Martin and land him to be PK's d partner. Perfedct stay at home dman who handles the puck well, but knows his role as a def-dman.

Pittsburgh coach Dan Byslma has been named coach of coach of the U.S. Olympic hockey team. Bylsma didn't attempt to hide his inexperience at the international level saying he doesn't have any experience, so very little is wrong. He is however, concerned that Sydney Crosby knows his strengths and weaknesses and will bring it to the attention of the Canadian team.

TSN:

It appears Kris Letang is staying with the Pittsburgh Penguins. According to RDS, the Penguins have agreed to terms with Letang on an eight-year, $58 million contract with an average annual value of $7.25 million. According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, Letang's agent and Penguins GM Ray Shero will meet at Sunday's NHL Draft to iron out the details

TSN:

It appears Kris Letang is staying with the Pittsburgh Penguins. According to RDS, the Penguins have agreed to terms with Letang on an eight-year, $58 million contract with an average annual value of $7.25 million. According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, Letang's agent and Penguins GM Ray Shero will meet at Sunday's NHL Draft to iron out the details

Confirmed today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Usually, the Pittsburgh Penguins suffer a wave of key injuries during the regular season, but some of their players are getting nicked up in training camp instead. The latest seems to be Kris Letang, who suffered a lower-body injury that requires further evaluation, according to the team.

Head coach Dan Bylsma said that the 26-year-old star won’t skate all weekend and that it’s unclear if this will be a short-term or “extended” injury.

Letang joins Tomas Vokoun (blood clot) as significant Penguins who have experienced issues before the 2013-14 kicks off.

It’s been an up-and-down couple years for Letang, as he’s missed quite a bit of time with injuries (just 35 out of 48 regular season games in 2013 and 51 of 82 in 2011-12) and received criticism for the team’s defensive lapses. Even so, many believe he’s often a Norris Trophy-caliber defenseman whose loss would be a serious blow to Pittsburgh.

Of course, this could also just be a day-to-day issue, so we’ll have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived