The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Jersey Devils 2013-2014

ColRouleBleu

Real nice of Kovalchuck to do this after Free Agency. What a goat! So much money, troubles and sacrifices made for this moron. Between losing mulitple 1st round picks, paying out a ton of cash on a front ended contract, and basically blowing up the team because of his contract this guy has the nerve just to walk out. He better jump a plane out of JFK because Jersey fans will lynch him in Newark.

Real nice of Kovalchuck to do this after Free Agency. What a goat! So much money, troubles and sacrifices made for this moron. Between losing mulitple 1st round picks, paying out a ton of cash on a front ended contract, and basically blowing up the team because of his contract this guy has the nerve just to walk out. He better jump a plane out of JFK because Jersey fans will lynch him in Newark.

Playing devils advocate, according to TSN Kovy didn't just drop it on Lou this week. He had been telling him (even before the season started) that he was feeling homesick and that he and his family wanted to go back to Russia.

Not all Russian players come over here and fit in immediately. We have NHL players asking to be traded to the east coast to be close to friends and family, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to have your friends and family living accross the Atlantic/Pacific.

At least he didn't pull a Radulov and simply jump ship. I guess playing in Russia during the lockout really put things in perspective and just confirmed that he wanted to go back home.

And Kovy didn't twist the devils arm, they took a chance signing him and it didn't work out-those are the risks you take when signing players to long term, high priced contracts. He could've very easily had a career ending injury and they'd be in the same boat after doing evrything in their power to sign him.

He could've just stayed in Russia once the lockout was over, at least he agreed to come back and play one more season. I've heard nothing but good things about the devils organization, which is probably one of the reasons why Kovy didn't just jump ship and at least gave Lou advanced warning that he may decide to move back to Russia.

I'm sure it's not what the devils fans wanted to hear, but it could've been very ugly.

Not easy going to a different country, with different values, language and customs. Some have easier transitions than others, guess Kovy was one of those who found the transition very hard.

Wish him the best and wouldn't be surprised if he eventually came back to play in NA once his kids are older.

God forbid someone wants to play at home to be close to friends and family rather than playing off in a strange country where you don't speak the language very well.

I dont think anyone is blaming him for wanting to play at home, but by waiting until after free agency, the devils were unable to resign players that could have easily fit under their cap without his salary on the books.

I respect his decision - and its clearly a personal one as he leaves like 70+ million dollars on the table to walk away from this contract - but i think the timing could have been better.

Playing devils advocate, according to TSN Kovy didn't just drop it on Lou this week. He had been telling him (even before the season started) that he was feeling homesick and that he and his family wanted to go back to Russia.

If that's true then all the best to him. Again, he's leaving a ton of money on the table so i highly doubt this decision came lightly.

I dont think anyone is blaming him for wanting to play at home, but by waiting until after free agency, the devils were unable to resign players that could have easily fit under their cap without his salary on the books.

I respect his decision - and its clearly a personal one as he leaves like 70+ million dollars on the table to walk away from this contract - but i think the timing could have been better.

If that's true then all the best to him. Again, he's leaving a ton of money on the table so i highly doubt this decision came lightly.

Agreed and as i said before, he and Lou had talked before about the possibility of Kovy going back to Russia. Since Lou had been given advance warning from Kovy, he could've easily asked Kovy his plans before letting go/signing or even re-signing before the FA market opened.

I'm only going by the info on TSN, but it seems that it wasn't news to Lou, so he should've taken this into consideration prior to the FA frenzy.

Also, we really don't know when he told the devils his plans, totally possible he told them the day the devils season ended and simply waited until now to make it public.

That's gonna hurt, the Devils,,,,BIG time.

Oh gawd yeah, lost Parise to Minny and now Kovy.

Relocation time?

Les Diables de Quebec?

That's devil in french. ;)

Have they now become a candidate for the 1st overall draft choice?

lol they don't have a 1st rounder next year, they have to forfeit it for circumventing the cap on the 1st Kovalchuk contract.

Guest Regis2

Lysenkov reports that Kovalchuk will be joining SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL, the team for which he played during the NHL lockout.

There’s where he will “become the most-paid player in the world,” according to SovSport.

How much? He speculates that if it was “a $15-20 million per year (at the taxation in 13%)” it would not be a surprise. (No word if that's on the KHL cap or some of it off the books.)

Doesn't sound like it

I'm not sure I agree with those supporting his decision. The "retirement" is a technicality, assuming he signs in the KHL then for all intents and purposes he's breaking a contract he signed with one team to sign with another team. Granted, NHL contracts have certain outs (eg. buyouts break a contract), but I think what bugs me here is he's not using retirement for what it was intended for, so it feels much more like he's breaking the contract (although legally speaking, he's probably not). I also think when you sign a contract you should make some sort of good-faith effort to honor it; of course, there's situations that would justify triggering an "out", such as a player's performance justifying a buy-out or a player becoming too old justifying retirement; but here it feels like Kovalchuk really shouldn't have signed such a long-term deal if he didn't want to stay in New Jersey.

What a fiasco for NJ, after everything they lost getting Kovalchuk locked up, they get 3 seasons (plus the rental) out of him, now have a huge hole to fill (as much as some will complain about his timing, honestly could NJ have done much more this offseason anyways? the bigger loss may be that they essentially may have lost Parise for Kovalchuk and only got one season out of him in return), and to add insult to injury, will have an (albeit small) cap hit on their books for over a decade.

I'm not sure I agree with those supporting his decision. The "retirement" is a technicality, assuming he signs in the KHL then for all intents and purposes he's breaking a contract he signed with one team to sign with another team. Granted, NHL contracts have certain outs (eg. buyouts break a contract), but I think what bugs me here is he's not using retirement for what it was intended for, so it feels much more like he's breaking the contract (although legally speaking, he's probably not). I also think when you sign a contract you should make some sort of good-faith effort to honor it; of course, there's situations that would justify triggering an "out", such as a player's performance justifying a buy-out or a player becoming too old justifying retirement; but here it feels like Kovalchuk really shouldn't have signed such a long-term deal if he didn't want to stay in New Jersey.

What a fiasco for NJ, after everything they lost getting Kovalchuk locked up, they get 3 seasons (plus the rental) out of him, now have a huge hole to fill (as much as some will complain about his timing, honestly could NJ have done much more this offseason anyways? the bigger loss may be that they essentially may have lost Parise for Kovalchuk and only got one season out of him in return), and to add insult to injury, will have an (albeit small) cap hit on their books for over a decade.

I wouldn't say I support the decision, and I would be upset if I were a fan of NJ, but I kind of get it. Think about it this way: if the guy has already decided that he doesn't want to be here, would you rather have him retire or would you rather pay him close to $10 million a year to do a half-hearted job? I mean obviously the ideal situation is that he would either want to play there or that he wouldn't have signed such a long contract, but it's quite likely that he planned to honour his deal when he signed it but then changed his mind after playing at home for a while.

As others have said, I don't like the timing of the move, but it really depends on whether or not Devils' managent was made aware in advance of free agency and we don't really know that. He obviously should have let them know as early as possible.

Finally, if the story was about a guy "retiring" from the KHL or the Swedish Elite League to come play in the NHL I don't think we'd see anybody calling him out on it, especially if the guy was Canadian or American.

lol they don't have a 1st rounder next year, they have to forfeit it for circumventing the cap on the 1st Kovalchuk contract.

Oh wow. That is positively hilarious.

Lysenkov reports that Kovalchuk will be joining SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL, the team for which he played during the NHL lockout.

There’s where he will “become the most-paid player in the world,” according to SovSport.

How much? He speculates that if it was “a $15-20 million per year (at the taxation in 13%)” it would not be a surprise. (No word if that's on the KHL cap or some of it off the books.)

Doesn't sound like it

It's been confirmned by NHL.com it's a four year contract. ESPN has also reported it. It looks like I'll get another discussion started.

• 4 weeks later...

NHL.com. New Jersey has been sold to a group led by investment banker Joshua Harris who also owns the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers and is CEO of that team. Scott O'Neill has been hired as the Devils' CEO, Jeff Vanderbook is staying as senior advisor, and Lou Lamiorello will also remain as president and general manager.

Archived