The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

San Jose Sharks 2013-2014

ColRouleBleu

The San Jose Sharks have traded forward T.J. Galiardi to the Calgary Flames for an undisclosed draft pick.

Galiardi, 25, scored five goals and added nine assists in 36 games with the Sharks last season. He added a goal and an assist in 11 post-season games.

He is coming off a one-year, $950,000 deal he signed with San Jose prior to the 2012-13 season. He is set to become a restricted free agent.

Originally drafted in the second round (55th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Colorado Avalanche, Galiardi has scored 39 goals and 48 assists in 221 career NHL games with the Sharks and Avalanche.

Named Joe Will general manager of Worcester of the AHL and promoted Jon Gustafson to vice president of business operations. Re- signed goaltender Alex Stalock and forward Matt Pelech to a one year contract. Signed defensemen Rob Davison and Adam Comrie to one year contracts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From San Jose to Olympics, Sharks shooter Logan Couture ready to take a bigger bite

His team?

“I wouldn’t say it’s my team,” says San Jose Sharks center Logan Couture. “I still believe Jumbo’s our captain. He’s our best player.”

Couture-jpg_213125.jpgLogan Couture has already become a leader on San Jose's veteran-laden squad. (Getty)Couture is not dodging the question, and he is not wrong. The Sharks are not his team, not yet. “Jumbo” Joe Thornton is still their captain, and for all the grief he gets, he was their leading scorer last season and a beast in the playoffs. Patrick Marleau is still in San Jose. Dan Boyle is still in San Jose.

Believe it or not, at 24, Couture is the youngest of the Sharks’ returning regulars.

But there is a reason it has become fashionable to refer to the Sharks as his team – haute Couture among the hockey cognoscenti – and one day, almost certainly, maybe soon, they will be.

Coach Todd McLellan called Couture “the head guy” late last season because of the way he was playing, scoring goals, blocking shots, pushing for the playoffs. General manager Doug Wilson, who has talked about a “refresh” and “reset” instead of a rebuild, signed Couture to a five-year, $30 million extension early in the offseason. Thornton, Marleau and Boyle all are in the final years of their contracts.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get all the criticism hertl has gotten for his 4 point night.

I find what he did against the rags and what yakupov did were completely different.

When hertl scored his 4th goal he was on a natural high, playing in his 3rd NHL game and scores 4 times. Of course the kid is going to show some emotion, he was on a natural high. let the kid have his spotlight, he deserved it with the effort he put out. So he showed off a little on the 4th goal, the kid just scored a hat trick.

The rags may have taken offense to his celebrations or his move, but they were just bitter for being blown out. Hertl didn't avoid his teammates, he did his solo celebration then went over and celebrated with his teammates.

Yakupov though, that imo was a little much. Hertl scores on a breakaway after scoring a hat trick, yakupov was the recipient of a lucky bounce and acted as if he won game 7, triple OT of the cup finals. That was compounded by the fact he made those comments concerning the "dirty Canadian Players" prior to the start of the season.

I didn't hear Hertl make any negative comment towards the rags or his teammates. Yakupov literally pushed past his teammates (who were coming to him to congratulate him) to pull a Theo Fleury at centre ice. Had his teammate not taken the original shot on net, which resulted in a juicy rebound, Yakupov would've never scored, it was a good team effort and he acted as if he made it all happen by his lonesome.

18-20 year old kids sometimes need to be put in their place. We've all had friends who at one point or another needed to be told to tone it down a little bit or have been told by friends to tone it down ourselves. I don't believe telling someone to tone it down is crushing someone's personality. These kids have strong personalities, going to take a lot more than some bad press and someone older telling to tone it down to change that.

It's all part of the maturing process and a learning experience. These kids over night are given the world, nothing wrong with showing your emotions, but there's a time and place for everything. There's cocky and then there's cocky... Roy was cocky and a lot of elite tenders are, i believe it goes with the postion. There's a big difference in being young/cocky/confident and being young/cocky/jerk and acting as if you're the next coming of gretzky, with only a handful of games under your belt.

let's be honest, we've all been through it, most kids go through it, we've all had friends, loved ones who have gone through it. Subban went through it, price went through it and it hasn't seemed to change them negatively.

I see it every day in my business. Because tattoos are popular and just about everyone with some sort or artistic talent wants to be a tattoo artist, some get very inflated egos and turn into real jerks. We had this one kid who we were apprenticing, now the rule with apprenticeships is that they're there to learn, observe, listen to our teachings and to clean up the shop. That means scrubbing toilets, sweeping the shop, greeting customers etc... We call that paying your dues (we all went through it) and we're giving these young kids the benefit of (accumulated) 60 years of tattoo experience.

Now this one kid was a tad cocky to begin with, nothing wrong with a little confidence in oneself. After his 3rd tattoo ever, he thought he knew it all and that cleaning the shop was bellow him. He even started talking back to the senior staff who were training the kid.

Really, 3 free tattoos (free becuase he wasn't good enough for us to charge for his services) and cleaning the toilets are above you?

He acted as if he had won trophies and had articles written about him in tattoo magazines. Not to mentioned he was very rude to the senior tattoo artists, who without them, would be making burgers.

Like with anything, you need to have confidence in your skill/trade and have a small air of cockiness.But not to the point that those around you can't stand you anymore. Had he been on cloud nine after pulling off a hard tattoo (for someone with his limited experience), that's perfectly fine. But coming in the next day and thinking he doesn't have to clean toilets anymore and is telling off those who gave him the opportunity to learn from them, is not the right way.

Long story short, he lost all his friends(pushed them away by being a jerk), thought he was too good for them (would only hang out with fellow artists), was a huge jerk and was eventually fired from the shop for lack of respect and for being a detestable jerk. On a happy note, he's 22 now and has realized the error of his ways, he went around apologizing to the memebers at the shop, his long time friends and anyone else he was a jerk to. We hired him back and he was much more respectable and willing to listen to us the next time around.

Obviously hockey and tattooing are 2 very different things, but my underliying point still stands. It's ok to come in as a rookie with a bit of cockiness (that attitude is what brought you this far), but don't disrespect your teammates, act as if you already know it all at your age, some of these guys were in the league before you were even born. Future star or not, you can still learn from the 4th line journeyman (who's job is probably also to protect you) if you're willing to listen. Some of the best coaches never played a single game in the NHL. Or were career grinders or only played a handful of games at the NHL level. Becuase they never played an NHL game or only a hanful, does that make their experience and tips any less valuable?

I'm no different, at 18 i thought i knew it all as well.

But getting back to Hertl and yakupov, in hertl i saw a kid on cloud nine, playing in his 3rd NHL game and coming up with an exceptional game. In Yakupov, it almost felt rehearsed, as if he were waiting for his moment to to pull the theo fleury move.

Even Eller had little dance after his first 4 point game with the habs. I'd be more shocked if these didn't show emotion.

So in hertl's case, i saw nothing wrong with his celebration, his show of emotion or his interaction with teammates afterwards, good on him.

Way to go kid!

I just don't get the big difference between the first and fourth goal you score where all of a sudden aren't allowed to deke. If the game was 0-0, they would have called that a great goal with a momentum swinging move. Just a bunch of sore losers as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest mrsmarkov

It looks like Tomas Hertl will start skating this week, which is great news because that's ahead of schedule. I hope he comes back soon. Before his injury I was really rooting for him to possibly win rookie of the year this summer. He's the future Jagr in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing what he becomes in the future.

Guest mrsmarkov

This is good news. For me at least because I'm a big fan. Raffi Torres will be back in the lineup tonight. This is his season debut since injuring his knee during the preseason. Logan Couture will also be back in lineup since having surgery on his hand.

Tomas Hertl skated for the first time today, which is very much ahead of schedule :D.

Alex Stalock will be in goal for the Sharks tonight and Niemi will play tomorrow against the Sabres.

Archived