The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Colorado Avalanche 2013-2014

ColRouleBleu

Colorado, with the first pick, has considered taking defenseman Seth Jones, who is considered a good puck moving defenseman. He enters the draft as the top-ranked player on the NHL Central Scouting final list of North American skaters. Scouts would like to see improvement in his shot and be more physical.

The Associated Press believes they are leaning toward Nathan MacKinnon, a 6 foot, 182 pound forward who has a strong two way presence along with stong hands and stick handling and skating skills. MacKinnon has spent the past year with Halifax of the QMJHL with 32 goals and 43 assists in 44 games and added 11 goals and 22 assists in 17 playoff games. According to Rick Pracey, Colorado's director of amateur scouting, MacKinnon has stood up to the pressures of a draft year, high expectations and the comparable that's he's been held accountable to for past couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NHL.com. Colorado will retire Adam Foote's number 52 on November 2, 2013 prior to its game against Montreal. Foote played 17 of his 19 seasons with Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche and is the second highest scoring defenseman in franchise history with 259 points, 56 goals and 203 assists with the team. He also helped the team win nine straight division titles from 1995-2003.

• 1 month later...

Patrick Roy Video: Watch Avalanche Coach Go After Bruce Boudreau in Debut

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1796544-patrick-roy-video-watch-avalanche-coach-go-after-bruce-boudreau-in-debut

The Colorado Avalanche gave their new coach Patrick Roy a great win to start his career—a 6-1 victory over the Anaheim Ducks in Denver on Wednesday—but fans got a bit of extra entertainment after the final whistle.

After the game was over, Roy and Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau began exchanging some words to each other over the partition. Those words then got louder and more angry, and what ensued was Roy attempting to knock over the partition and start a fight.

Mario Tremblay isn’t expecting a call from Patrick Roy about a possible assistant-coaching job with the Colorado Avalanche.

“I don’t think so,” Tremblay said with a big laugh on Friday, a day after Roy was named head coach and vice-president of hockey operations for the Avalanche. “I don’t think so.”

Tremblay, as Montreal hockey fans will recall, was head coach of the Canadiens on Dec. 2, 1995, when he left Roy in net for nine goals against before finally pulling him in an 11-1 blowout loss to the Detroit Red Wings. Roy was jeered by the Forum fans at one point following a routine save and when the goaltender eventually left the ice, he blew past Tremblay and told team president Ronald Corey, sitting in his familiar seat behind the bench, that he had played his last game in Montreal.

The rest, as they say, is history and the Canadiens haven’t won a Stanley Cup since, while Roy went on to win two with Colorado after leading Montreal to Cups in 1986 and 1993.

Tremblay and Roy — who spent the last eight years as head coach and part-owner of the junior Quebec Remparts — have not spoken since the future Hall of Famer was traded by former general manager Réjean Houle to Colorado along with Mike Keane in exchange for Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinsky and Jocelyn Thibault.

“We haven’t had a chance to meet, but everything is okay on my side,” Tremblay said. “It’s been a long time and I wish him good luck.

“I’m happy for him,” Tremblay added. “After seven, eight years with the Quebec Remparts, this is the job that he wants to do and he went to Colorado because he was also named VP of hockey operations. So that’s a big challenge for him, but there’s no doubt that Patrick, with his character and his passion … I think he’s going to do a good job in Colorado.

“The other thing I want to say is that he’s going to have to be well surrounded because he cannot do that job by himself. Come on … it’s the NHL, it’s not a junior team now.”

One person who could possibly get a call from Roy is Guy Carbonneau, the last Canadiens captain to hoist the Stanley Cup and a former head coach in Montreal.

“I have no idea,” Carbonneau said Friday afternoon about a possible call from Roy. “I haven’t talked to him … it’s up to him. He’s got control of who he wants to have around him. He’s going to have his reasons like I had when I was a coach here. I knew what I wanted around me and that’s what I got. I don’t know what he wants.”

NHL.com. Gabriel Landeskog will miss tonight's game with Nashville with a leg injury. Coach Patrick Roy has stated he expects Landeskog to resume skating Sunday and to accompany the team on a three game road trip that starts Tuesday against Toronto.

Starting to feel a little bit like Forsberg Round 2 with this guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out that if Roy wins tonight, he will set the record for consecutive wins to start an NHL career, currently held, ironically, by Mario Tremblay, who set the record with the 95-96 Canadiens.

They both report that they haven't spoken since the trade. Maybe Roy breaking his record will give them a reason to :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

NHL.com. Varlamov has been allowed to travel with the team after posting $5000 bond. There's nothing like possibly throwing your career out the window.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear that.

Not like he had many options, they weren't really banging down his door.

Enjoy retirement Milan!

The article on NHL.com made it sound like he had lost a lot of his passion for playing the pro game anyway. He was a heck of a player, have to imagine his name hangs from the rafter of the Pepsi Center sometime in the next few years, given that they retired Foote's jersey.

Archived