Drafted by: not drafted Draft Year: n/a
Acquired: Traded from Calgary 2012

0a78819053b9451d8e201de2950197ab_normal. @rbourque17

166926030_slide.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
SCOUTING REPORT

Assets:

Owns good breakaway speed, a pretty hard shot and legit offensive instincts. Has size for the wing position and is a strong two-way player when he puts his mind to it. Scores goals in bunches.

Flaws:

Lacks the game-in and game-out presence of a star scoring winger. Plays better with an edge, but that aspect of his game also lacks consistency. Can run into nagging injuries. Takes games off.

Career Potential:

Inconsistent winger.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have much time to check the hockey news today (none at all actually) and I learned about Bourque missing practice and being game time decision only after I got home from the Bell Centre. I could never have guessed he was sick from watching him pay tonight and had I known before the game, I wouldn't have picked him as the first goal scorer of the game. Thanks for that goal René :D

Checking the boxscore of last nights game I was a little shocked to see that RB had no hits on the night. He had a breakaway, 3 shots but no hits. With patches and Prust out, he's the one were counting on to throw the body.

I like that he got shots, almost had 2 breakaways, but jumped the gun. With us lacking size up front and in our top9, we need our big guys to throw the body.

Checking the boxscore of last nights game I was a little shocked to see that RB had no hits on the night. He had a breakaway, 3 shots but no hits. With patches and Prust out, he's the one were counting on to throw the body.

I like that he got shots, almost had 2 breakaways, but jumped the gun. With us lacking size up front and in our top9, we need our big guys to throw the body.

as a general statement i agree but last night wasn't a game where it was needed that much. it's not as if our small guys were mauled and our bigger guys didn't raise a finger. finesse and speed won us that game handsomely

as a general statement i agree but last night wasn't a game where it was needed that much. it's not as if our small guys were mauled and our bigger guys didn't raise a finger. finesse and speed won us that game handsomely

Agreed, we won the game with finesse and skill, still, he should be using his body regardless of who we play. He got a goal, had one (almost 2) breakaways, but his role is right now, especially with a small team like ours, is to use his body and his physical game. It's like forgiving a dman for not playing well defensively simply because we were playing a lesser skilled team and the dman in question had a 2 point night.

Especially with Patches and Prust out of the line up, it's even more important that he takes on the physical responsibilities. Granted it wasn't an issue against the ducks, but it is a big issue against the b's or leafs. He didn't even have one hit on the night, I don't expect him to have 20+ hits against a less physical, but skilled team, but at the very least, one hit per shift or every other shift, something, anything.

One hit per shift? NOBODY ever did that. Subban is a physical player, he wont dish 28 hits per game. The goal is to take the puck from the opponent and organize an attacks to ultimately score. If the battle is in the corners, a hit is usually the tool to use but if it's not necessary and you take the puck from the opponent by other means, that's fine. Hitting for the sake of hitting is useless imo. Bourque can be and usually is physical when the play warrants it. If he can get the puck unchallenged and exchange passes with his teammates without one hit, how is this not acceptable?

I don't feel he has been playing that poorly, mind you I never had really high expectations in the first place. I feel he is doing ok, I would prefer more but this is what I think we are going to get from him. he is not cammy but then again cammy gets hurt a lot so the production will probably be about the same between them.

• 3 weeks later...

So... does Rene Bourque have any trade value for the Habs? :lol: I know it is just one game out of the line-up with a mysterious lower-body injury... but? And he is a player with size (when he wants to use it). I bet Danny Briere was happy with the last minute turn of events before game-time ;)

The net effect... Bourque out; Briere moved up; and White in. Did the Habs lose or gain by this? Could it continue?

Let's talk about it... same time next week.

So... does Rene Bourque have any trade value for the Habs? :lol: I know it is just one game out of the line-up with a mysterious lower-body injury... but? And he is a player with size (when he wants to use it). I bet Danny Briere was happy with the last minute turn of events before game-time ;)

The net effect... Bourque out; Briere moved up; and White in. Did the Habs lose or gain by this? Could it continue?

Let's talk about it... same time next week.

I think the team played really well last night. I think the team would have been just as successful with Bourque in the lineup.

Coaching staffs tend to stick with the same lineup that win the big game. Especially so when coming off of a scoring slump. I can see Bourque being a healthy scratch if he's ready for Friday, simply because of something like, "We don't want to mess with a winning lineup," type nonsense. Either way, he's not instrumental to our success... So. He can probably take a breather in the pressbox.

Archived