The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2013-2014

ColRouleBleu

• 2 weeks later...

So is this his break-out year? Had an amazing start, a bit of a slump and then finished the season with 12 points in his last 13 regular season games - all with very minimal ice-time.

Probably the player im most interested in seeing next season.

So is this his break-out year? Had an amazing start, a bit of a slump and then finished the season with 12 points in his last 13 regular season games - all with very minimal ice-time.

Probably the player im most interested in seeing next season.

Exciting young player. As you pointed out he started well, then slumped and look frustrated at times trying to adjust to the skill and speed at the NHL level. He heated up again at the end of the season and actually finished with respectable numbers, especially for an 18 year old rookie playing reduced minutes on the 3rd line.

it's a shame that his rookie season wasn't a full 82 game schedule. With the way he heated up towards the end, he may have been a finalist for the calder.

it's a shame that his rookie season wasn't a full 82 game schedule. With the way he heated up towards the end, he may have been a finalist for the calder.

True but it wouldnt have been last year because I dont think there's any chance he stays with the bigs last year if it wasnt for the opportunity to start the year in the OHL and light the place up for 30+ games.

Future captain.

In 2-3 years players will want to come to mtl just to pplay with him imo. He really does have that special ability players liike (not sayying he will be as good but) crosby and stloius have to turn theeir linemates. Into superstars. I fully believe if it wasn't for yakapov playing with galachenyuk he wouldn't have gone as high as he did

Galchenyuk and eller down the middle really is something to feel good about

In 2-3 years players will want to come to mtl just to pplay with him imo. He really does have that special ability players liike (not sayying he will be as good but) crosby and stloius have to turn theeir linemates. Into superstars. I fully believe if it wasn't for yakapov playing with galachenyuk he wouldn't have gone as high as he did

Galchenyuk and eller down the middle really is something to feel good about

Some of those who follow amature players felt that had it not been for his injury, Gally could've gone 1st overall.

We'll never know now, but it kinda makes hab fans feel good about their 3rd overall pick.

True but it wouldnt have been last year because I dont think there's any chance he stays with the bigs last year if it wasnt for the opportunity to start the year in the OHL and light the place up for 30+ games.

True, coming back from an injury like that you want to test him out in a league he's comfortable in, which is why i was against adding him to the roster right out of jr, had it been an 82 game schedule and had the season started in October. As far as the injury and recovery went, the lockout played in his favour.

Either way, would've been nice to see what he could've done over an 82 game schedule. He had some frustrating moments, but something clicked at the end of the season and he heated up. We'll never know now, but would've been nice if the season had continued to see if he could've finished as hot as he did with the shortened season.

Next seasson he'll have a full 82 game schedule to showcase his talent.

Maybe. I was thinking Gallagher though.

i think there will be another captain in between Gio and the 2 Gally's (whoever gets it).

If Pleks is around, maybe Pleks, Gorges, Subban, we actually have quite a few players who would make good captains.

Maybe. I was thinking Gallagher though.

I don't think so. Gallagher is a bit of a pissant, opponents are always going to hate him. Same with Eller. Subban too.

Galchenyuk just seems like he's Mr. Everything.

I agree someone will come in between it though, probably 3-5 years away, depending on how he does in the future.

I don't think so. Gallagher is a bit of a pissant, opponents are always going to hate him. Same with Eller. Subban too.

Galchenyuk just seems like he's Mr. Everything.

I agree someone will come in between it though, probably 3-5 years away, depending on how he does in the future.

Good point about the opponents. But Gallagher is a leader by example and is all about hard work, and he seems to be good in the locker room and with the media. I don't think it should really matter what opponents think.

Good point about the opponents. But Gallagher is a leader by example and is all about hard work, and he seems to be good in the locker room and with the media. I don't think it should really matter what opponents think.

exactly, it means nothing, Wendel clark was hating by opposing players and wore the C.

Gainey was definitely hated by opposing teams and wore the C, so did Carbo and Muller.

C is about who shows leadership out on the ice, is either a good voice in the locker-room or a the silent type whpo leads by example.

There isn't one criteria for wearing the "C". Many captains throughout history have worn it for very different reasons.

Hrm, not sure what you were trying to say there, but pissant means insignificant or worthless, which I dont believe any of those players are. If you were alluding to him being a pest, true, but there are plenty of captains around the league who are despised by the opposition (Chara, Phaneuf etc) but loved by their teammates.

IMHO the most important characteristics in being a captain are: being vocal, being able to lead on and off the ice and, ideally, being one of the more skilled players on the squad. I loved Mike Keane for example but never thought he was a great choice as captain because he was trying to lead players that were leads and bounds ahead of him in the talent dept. Im not saying your captain needs to be the most skilled player on your squad but ideally he's a top 6 forward or top 4 dman.

Any of those named (The 2 gallys, subban, eller) could one day be captain material but its still a little early to tell which of them would be the favourite - imho of course.

Hrm, not sure what you were trying to say there, but pissant means insignificant or worthless, which I dont believe any of those players are. If you were alluding to him being a pest, true, but there are plenty of captains around the league who are despised by the opposition (Chara, Phaneuf etc) but loved by their teammates.

Pissant is what I call someone who acts like a little arrogant mouthpiece. Never took the time to learn its' definition, for I have one in my head.

Look, I love Gallagher...but anyone who says they wouldn't hate him if he played for the Leafs or the Bruins is a blatant liar.

Chara has been one of hte best d-men in the league for like a decade, and he's a unique physical force.

Phaneuf is a terrible captain.

Dustin Brown is the Kings' captain, but I'd have a lot more respect for them if it was Kopitar.

exactly, it means nothing, Wendel clark was hating by opposing players and wore the C.

Gainey was definitely hated by opposing teams and wore the C, so did Carbo and Muller.

C is about who shows leadership out on the ice, is either a good voice in the locker-room or a the silent type whpo leads by example.

There isn't one criteria for wearing the "C". Many captains throughout history have worn it for very different reasons.

Galchenyuk just seems far more like captain material down the road than Gallagher to me.

Wasn't around for Gainey's playing days, and really young for Carbo and Muller...but Gainey was a perennial candidate for the defensive forward award and never had more than 57 PIM in a season. That sounds like captain material to me.

Pissant is what I call someone who acts like a little arrogant mouthpiece. Never took the time to learn its' definition, for I have one in my head.

Well thats one way of using words I guess. The more common way is to actually understand their meaning & use them as such but whatever floats your boat! :D:D

Look, I love Gallagher...but anyone who says they wouldn't hate him if he played for the Leafs or the Bruins is a blatant liar.

I dont think anyone said that did they? I think we were agreeing with you that he is a pest - despised by the league but adored by his teammates.

Chara has been one of hte best d-men in the league for like a decade, and he's a unique physical force.

Phaneuf is a terrible captain.

Dustin Brown is the Kings' captain, but I'd have a lot more respect for them if it was Kopitar.

Re: Chara, That doesnt change the fact that he's a pest that is reviled the league over but is still a great captain.

Re: Phaneuf. He's an overrated player. I dont know that there's any indication from his teammates (who, after all are the guys who need to respond to a player's captaincy) that he's a poor captain.

Re: Brown/vs/Kopitar - why would it matter if we the fans (or even the opposition) have respect for a team based on who they chose as captain? If the players respond to Brown, then great. Kopitar seems to be a very quite player & for that reason could make a poor captain, who knows.

At the end of the day, the best captain for his team is the guy that the players respond the best to, plain & simple. Could that be Galchenyuk? Maybe. Or maybe it ends up being Gorges or Gallagher or Subban. Time will tell but the nice thing is, we seem to have some good young leadership to chose from.

Galchenyuk just seems far more like captain material down the road than Gallagher to me.

Wasn't around for Gainey's playing days, and really young for Carbo and Muller...but Gainey was a perennial candidate for the defensive forward award and never had more than 57 PIM in a season. That sounds like captain material to me.

Yes and he was hated by opposing players. He was in your face backchecking/forechecking, throwing the body, basically making other teams lives miserable.

Gally-A could possibly make a good captain, but wouldn't stop from considering another player simply due to the fact they stir the pot and gets into other players faces.

I agree with you jed, stars are always the best captains. i think brown makes a good captain by the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. He'll take a punch in the face, a hard body, even stop a puck with his face if that meant it would help his team.

You have silent leaders who let their actions (on ice) be their voice and you have others who are very vocal in the dressing rooms. For me a guy like Koivu had both, he took all the heat the media threw at him, often took the burden on himself, not only did he lead by being a great locker room guy, he lead on the ice. He played the game of hockey with his heart on his sleeve, he played huge, even returning from cancer to join his team for the playoffs.

I think the best way to find out who the players respond/listen to the most is to go back to the old style and let the players themselves vote the captain. Management might think they know who's better but the players know the best.

Well thats one way of using words I guess. The more common way is to actually understand their meaning & use them as such but whatever floats your boat! :D:D

I dont think anyone said that did they? I think we were agreeing with you that he is a pest - despised by the league but adored by his teammates.

Re: Chara, That doesnt change the fact that he's a pest that is reviled the league over but is still a great captain.

Re: Phaneuf. He's an overrated player. I dont know that there's any indication from his teammates (who, after all are the guys who need to respond to a player's captaincy) that he's a poor captain.

Re: Brown/vs/Kopitar - why would it matter if we the fans (or even the opposition) have respect for a team based on who they chose as captain? If the players respond to Brown, then great. Kopitar seems to be a very quite player & for that reason could make a poor captain, who knows.

At the end of the day, the best captain for his team is the guy that the players respond the best to, plain & simple. Could that be Galchenyuk? Maybe. Or maybe it ends up being Gorges or Gallagher or Subban. Time will tell but the nice thing is, we seem to have some good young leadership to chose from.

Great post.

Here's a crazy thought....if Galchenyuk comes out of the gate firing on all cylinders, could he be considered for a spot on the USA team?

They are pretty stacked...but if he establishes himself as an offensive threat, capable of playing both the wing and center...he could be the perfect 13th center for that squad.

Here's a crazy thought....if Galchenyuk comes out of the gate firing on all cylinders, could he be considered for a spot on the USA team?

They are pretty stacked...but if he establishes himself as an offensive threat, capable of playing both the wing and center...he could be the perfect 13th center for that squad.

I'm sure they have him in mind. He did well in the WJC, so if injuries pile up, he may be considered.

Long shot, but anythings possible.

If he does come "out, firing on all cylinders" , I doubt the Habs would let him go. JM2C

I think the previous posters were talking about the Olympics, not the WJC this year... in which case, most players will be allowed to play (unless they're injured). I'd expect we'll see Pacioretty, Plekanec, Budaj, Price, Subban, and Diaz all in the mix to play, and Galchenyuk definitely has an outside shot at making Team USA.

Archived