Brian Gionta #21

8467407.jpg

__ Stats __.__ Splits __.__ Game Log __.__ Notes __.__ Videos __

Archive 2012-2013
Position: Right Wing Shoots: Right
Birth Place: Rochester, NY, USA
Birth Date: 18-Jan-1979 Age: 34
Height: 5' 7" Weight: 174
Drafted by: New Jersey Draft Year: 1998 Round 3(82 overall)
Acquired: Free agency 2009

0a78819053b9451d8e201de2950197ab_normal. @Giostyle21

164759476_slide.jpg

• 1 month later...
Biceps Tendon Tear Surgery & Recovery

"The recovery after reattachment of a complete rupture is a very gradual process, and the speed at which the rehabilitation can be progressed is based on the healing process. Very basic exercises for ROM (Range of Movement) are performed initially for the first 6-8 weeks, followed by light strengthening exercises. These are started with 1 pound weights and gradually increased as strength and symptoms allow. Light weight training can be performed (bench press, shoulder press) at the 3 - 3 ½ month post-op mark. Generally speaking, strength becomes normalized anywhere between the 6-9 month post-op period, which includes a return to full unrestricted function.

"The recovery after a partial tear can be significantly less, but is heavily dependent upon the size of the tear and how much had to be reattached. The physician will typically dictate the post-op progression based on the surgical findings."

Gionta on a May 8, 2013 article was going to have the surgery on the friday. The question is , to what extent is the injury?

Biceps Tendon Tear Surgery & Recovery

Gionta on a May 8, 2013 article was going to have the surgery on the friday. The question is , to what extent is the injury?

I would speculate that it was a partial tear,, only because he did try to play right after the injury before shutting it down for the year. That would lead me to believe the recovery time would be on the shorter end of that time estimate.

I would speculate that it was a partial tear,, only because he did try to play right after the injury before shutting it down for the year. That would lead me to believe the recovery time would be on the shorter end of that time estimate.

with any luck, november/december, maybe, at the bottom end of the 6 to 9 post op period, hope so ;)

I guess the bigger issue is that the guy has torn both his biceps within a year. That's a rare injury to begin with, never mind it happening twice in such a short period of time. So the question is why that occurred. Is it an issue with his strength and conditioning regimen putting too much stress on one area? Is it that his body just isn't holding up to the stresses of NHL hockey any more? Regardless of when he comes back, you really have to wonder if the cause of the injuries has been corrected and whether he's at risk of having the same injury re-occur in the near future.

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 11,683 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:17 PM

I guess the bigger issue is that the guy has torn both his biceps within a year. That's a rare injury to begin with, never mind it happening twice in such a short period of time. So the question is why that occurred. Is it an issue with his strength and conditioning regimen putting too much stress on one area? Is it that his body just isn't holding up to the stresses of NHL hockey any more? Regardless of when he comes back, you really have to wonder if the cause of the injuries has been corrected and whether he's at risk of having the same injury re-occur in the near future.

with Gionta's contract expiring this coming season, these are things thst MB, will have to consider, since he is a ageing 34 year old captain. Being fit makes all the difference. He is on the injury list and since he had this injury more than once, will he come back 100% What is he worth, at this point?

• 4 weeks later...

Forward Brian Gionta participated in his first contact practice with the Montreal Canadiens since the start of training camp.

The Canadiens captain, who underwent surgery on his injured biceps in the off-season, had been skating with the team in a non-contact capacity since last week.

Gionta skated on a line with Michael Bournival and Martin St Pierre in Wednesday's practice.

How does the top 9 look weaker by adding a guy who consistently scores 20-25 goals while playing tough minutes against the other teams' best players?

Top 9 is definitely better with Gionta in instead of Thomas. That said, adding Gio gives us 4 really small players in the top 9. The other guys (Pacman, Bourque, Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk) are really not physical players either. In the absence of fielding top-tier talent like Crosby, Malkin, Toews, or Stamkos, we could definitely use a player like a Lucic, Hartnell, Brian Boyle, etc. who can use their size better. It's not so much that Gio or DD or Briere is a bad player so much as it is a problem that those players become hard to fit into the line-up together. I'd personally rather see us use Prust there than have a ton of small guys floating around up and down the line-up. Even though Prust isn't as talented as some of the others, he really complemented Galchenyuk and Gallagher well last year and could do it again (for example).

Top 9 is definitely better with Gionta in instead of Thomas. That said, adding Gio gives us 4 really small players in the top 9. The other guys (Pacman, Bourque, Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk) are really not physical players either. In the absence of fielding top-tier talent like Crosby, Malkin, Toews, or Stamkos, we could definitely use a player like a Lucic, Hartnell, Brian Boyle, etc. who can use their size better. It's not so much that Gio or DD or Briere is a bad player so much as it is a problem that those players become hard to fit into the line-up together. I'd personally rather see us use Prust there than have a ton of small guys floating around up and down the line-up. Even though Prust isn't as talented as some of the others, he really complemented Galchenyuk and Gallagher well last year and could do it again (for example).

Actually Ted you're wrong on Eller, each season as he's gotten bigger he's thrown more hits, last season when he weighed 15 pounds lighter he threw 89 hits according to yahoo, Patches seems to realize he now has to be the big guy on his line, Bourque plays the game pretty hard, and you're talking about a kid who's not 20 years old yet.. he has to establish his offense on a nightly basis first, and pleks plays the game the way Mike Richards does just cleaner. Gally A will if he ever does establish his hitting game once his defense is there first imo.. it's not what brought him to the game so i'm not concerned if he never becomes a huge hitter, but he does create space with his body. Brian Boyle is the softest big man in the league IMO and Hartnell is an oversized pest, he's not a great fighter, although he does throw his bosdy around, at his age and salary he's not worth it IMO.

We definitely have some undersized guys in our top 9. Of the 4 you're referring to though, Gallagher and Gionta are definitely tops on the depth chart and aren't particularly limitted by their size. (ie: don't get easily pushed off the puck or forced to the perimeter). It would be nice to have a player like Lucic and better balance in the top 9, but overall I think we need to get over our small man syndrome. Size needs to be considerred, but ultimately it is just another skill/tool to take into consideration with everything else.

Our focus on hight can be especially tricky. Randomly pick a bunch of 6', 6'-1, 6'-2 guys in the league and send them in the corner with Mike Richards and see how often they come out with the puck. Size is an asset if it helps you do things better than other players: (protect the puck, win board battles, score dirty goals in front of the net etc). Likewise, a small stature is a problem if it limits you in those facets. Obviously being bigger (though the true key is stronger) makes it more likely that a player excels in those areas, but being big in and of itself isn't the be all end all.

Ideally DD gets moved in the not too distant future and replaced with a bigger player. Briere is on a short term deal and Gionta is done after this year (though I'm one of the few who would welcome him back on a cheaper deal with the right term, especially if we plan to ship out DD).

Judging by tonight's lineup, is Bournival in until Gionta's ready?

I would say yes. Moen is apparently ready to play but i imagine we'll see one of the other kids scratched before him.

Archived