The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2013-2014

I

I'd be happy to have in back in a reduced role (and contract) on the 3rd line, especially if we could find a taker for Bourque.

I agree. I like him a lot on that 3rd line although I think the reduced role will probably mean he becomes expendable as you have to figure at least one guy from hamilton will need a top 9 spot next year. Briere is here for one more year and even though I espect Bourque will be traded/waived, we're still going to have a lot of bodies. Who knows though, a lot can happen between now and next october.

Id still taking Gio back at a reduced salary on a 1 or 2 year deal max.

I wouldn't mind having him back, conditional upon other things happening.

As BeanCountingHab mentioned, dealing Bourque. I'd also consider moving Briere as a requirement.

First and foremost I am offering Gionta's money to Vanek, I think. That precludes attempting to get rid of Bourque and/or Briere, as moving them is certainly not a guarantee. Buying Briere out MIGHT be an option.

Briere's been quite good I think. I might trade him but I certainly wouldn't buy him out.

Honestly, I thin with the way DD has played, if we are able to move him on draft day or something, Briere can take his spot seamlessly for a year (honestly I think he could potentially be a little better in DD's current role), and then we let him walk. No buyouts necessary, and our center log-jam is cleared up in 2 years, where we can go with Galchenyuk-Eller-Pleks down the middle. It would require planning ahead and giving Galchenyuk time at center next year, but it's worth it IMO.

We could also use DD's money (assuming we trade him for a pick or two on draft day) to sin Gio to a shorter contract. If we part with Bourque too, we're in real good shape to sign all 3 of Vanek, Subban, and Markov. Dropping DD and Bourque may be a lot to ask, but I don't think it's totally out of the question.

Guest mrsmarkov

I'd be happy to have in back in a reduced role (and contract) on the 3rd line, especially if we could find a taker for Bourque.

Heck, I'd give Bourque away for free. I would do anything just for him not to ever be in the lineup again. He's a cancer I say....

Guest mrsmarkov

Well... It seems like Therrien is going to get us to the post-season so I wouldn't expect his firing.

Same. I can't imagine MB pulling the plug on Therrien. I just don't see it.

Well... It seems like Therrien is going to get us to the post-season so I wouldn't expect his firing.

Same. I can't imagine MB pulling the plug on Therrien. I just don't see it.

I still believe that MT's future rests firmly on the next couple of months. In playoffs should be a 'given' with this roster. IMHO MT will have to do 2nd round or better if he wants to keep his job. If we have another 1st round fiasco like last year (and yes, I know we had lots of injuries last year) then I fully expect MT to be replaced.

And then the quesiton is raised: how would the new coach want to use Gio and other players like him.

Dont get me wrong, Im hoping MT IS Back because that means we did really well in the playoffs, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if we do poorly, he will be gone.

Guest mrsmarkov

I still believe that MT's future rests firmly on the next couple of months. In playoffs should be a 'given' with this roster. IMHO MT will have to do 2nd round or better if he wants to keep his job. If we have another 1st round fiasco like last year (and yes, I know we had lots of injuries last year) then I fully expect MT to be replaced.

And then the quesiton is raised: how would the new coach want to use Gio and other players like him.

Dont get me wrong, Im hoping MT IS Back because that means we did really well in the playoffs, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if we do poorly, he will be gone.

I still wont believe it until I see it. Either way it's a win, win. I mean I want to make it as far as possible, so of coarse I want to see Therrien back next season..but if he gets the boot, can anyone really be much worse?

His current lines have made quite happy, if he keep it up then I have no problem with him being our coach. I'm just sick of non consistency, the line juggling and decisions that make no logical sense. Lets hope he sticks to what he has going..well the defense pairs could be better. But we will see.....

Is it just me, or does he seem to fail to capitalize on a large number of chances? I feel like he gets a good number of prime opportunities, but more often than not doesn't do much with them. Completely subjective but it seems the majority of the time he hits the goalie square in the chest, or misses the net by a bit.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of our 35 year old captain.

Is it just me, or does he seem to fail to capitalize on a large number of chances? I feel like he gets a good number of prime opportunities, but more often than not doesn't do much with them. Completely subjective but it seems the majority of the time he hits the goalie square in the chest, or misses the net by a bit.

Its not just you. It makes sense. His hockey sense is still as good as it ever was (he instinctively knows where to go) and its why his defensive game is still so strong, but physically he's lost maybe a split second & in goal-scorer terms thats huge.

All in all, we got solid value out of his contract (would have been better if not for the bicep injuries) so no complaints but if we were to bring him back next year it would have to be at a much lower sum on a 1 or 2 year deal with the expectation he is a 3rd liner going forward.

Having said all of that, I believe you may find he is more effective in the post season when his adrenaline may just get that 1/4 step back.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow....not much love for our Captain after his two-goal effort vs. Detroit tonight. And I think Brian has performed extremely well on the penalty kill lately. Would be great to see him keep this up in the playoffs.

Wow....not much love for our Captain after his two-goal effort vs. Detroit tonight. And I think Brian has performed extremely well on the penalty kill lately. Would be great to see him keep this up in the playoffs.

I think he's a lightning rod for a lot of criticism of the team with regards to having small, fast, high-skilled forwards. I don't think he deserves most of it, but that's life. He plays his role well, as I see it. His defensive skills are somewhat underrated, too.

I think he is ready to accept a new role on the third line and killing penalties. He is a very effective player with a lot of experience and I think we sign him for two more years. He can easily play third line minutes and be successful at a reduced rate. He proved it last night on the 5 on 3 and scoring some big goals. The one thing I like about this team is we have a lot of players who can be moved into new roles depending on game situations and still produce at a high level.

I think he is ready to accept a new role on the third line and killing penalties. He is a very effective player with a lot of experience and I think we sign him for two more years. He can easily play third line minutes and be successful at a reduced rate. He proved it last night on the 5 on 3 and scoring some big goals.

I agree, and this is what I've been hoping for, for quite some time. Looking good so far. :)

Gio will be awarded with the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy prior to puck drop tomorrow.

The Canadiens announced that captain Brian Gionta is the 2013-14 winner of the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy, which is awarded annually to the member of the team who played a dominant role during the regular season without earning any particular honour. Brandon Prust was the winner last season.

Voting for the award was done my members of the media who cover the team and Gionta earned 66 points in the voting to finish ahead of Brendan Gallagher (64) and Tomas Plekanec (51). Gionta has 17 goals and 22 assists in 80 games this season and is even in plus/minus. He will be presented with the award before Saturday’s game.

Archived