The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#32 Travis Moen 2013-2014

ColRouleBleu

I've been a critic of Moen for awhile now, but he does play the odd game where he shines,,, other then on the penalty kill. I'll give him kudos for his effort last night, but he'll have to do this on a more frequent basis for me to change my opinion on his worth to the team. Keep it rolling Travis.

I've been a critic of Moen for awhile now, but he does play the odd game where he shines,,, other then on the penalty kill. I'll give him kudos for his effort last night, but he'll have to do this on a more frequent basis for me to change my opinion on his worth to the team. Keep it rolling Travis.

It was a strong first game but not totally in a vacuum. he looked good in the preseason too & this supports my idea he was playing a lot of last year hurt.

If you get consistent effort like last night out of moen AND you have Prust doing his thing, thats a very very solid 1 - 2 punch on the 3rd/4th line (or whatever we're calling it)

• 2 weeks later...

Time to give his thread a big bump. I was pretty hard on him last year (rightfully so) but this year he's been a revelation. Our 4th line has been dominating posession and he's a huge part of that. For those into some of the advanced posession stats, Moen's Corsi numbers were dreadful last season (worst on the team). This year, albeit in a small sample, he leads the team and is third in the league. :blink:

Time to give his thread a big bump. I was pretty hard on him last year (rightfully so) but this year he's been a revelation. Our 4th line has been dominating posession and he's a huge part of that. For those into some of the advanced posession stats, Moen's Corsi numbers were dreadful last season (worst on the team). This year, albeit in a small sample, he leads the team and is third in the league. :blink:

You and me both. Hope it continues for the whole season and not just the first few weeks.

The whole 4th line had awful corsi numbers because they were given very tough zone starts. They started less than 40% of their shifts in the offensive zone, lowest on the team by a mile.

The whole 4th line had awful corsi numbers because they were given very tough zone starts. They started less than 40% of their shifts in the offensive zone, lowest on the team by a mile.

Is it still that way? Because if it is, then that would mean we have the best 4th line in the league, largely because of Travis Moen, would it not?

Is it still that way? Because if it is, then that would mean we have the best 4th line in the league, largely because of Travis Moen, would it not?

I honestly don't know why anyone complains about Moen. He's very solid in his own end, plays a regular shift and doesn't take too many dumb penalties. He doesn't have much of an offensive game, and he's not that much of a hitter out there at this point either, but he can pay a hard physical game and shutdown guys.

I honestly don't know why anyone complains about Moen. He's very solid in his own end, plays a regular shift and doesn't take too many dumb penalties. He doesn't have much of an offensive game, and he's not that much of a hitter out there at this point either, but he can pay a hard physical game and shutdown guys.

No complaints about how he's been playing this year from me. Pretty solid game thus far. What I hate seeing is coaches thinking Moen can play on a scoring line (even the 3rd line on our team when everyone's healthy would be a push) because outside of one good half-season offensively, he's shown time and again in his career that he has awful hands. Moen needs to play a physical game and he needs to play sound defence. He's done those things this year, but when he gets bumped up the line-up, he seems to let the physical aspect of his game slide and he becomes less valuable.

No complaints about how he's been playing this year from me. Pretty solid game thus far. What I hate seeing is coaches thinking Moen can play on a scoring line (even the 3rd line on our team when everyone's healthy would be a push) because outside of one good half-season offensively, he's shown time and again in his career that he has awful hands. Moen needs to play a physical game and he needs to play sound defence. He's done those things this year, but when he gets bumped up the line-up, he seems to let the physical aspect of his game slide and he becomes less valuable.

I honestly wouldn't mind Moen ANWHERE in the top 9, in some late game/big draw situations when up by a goal though. I like the idea of this team always having 2 very solid 2 way guys on the ice, and if they're up a goal I wouldn't be averse to seeing something like:

Moen-Eller-Gionta

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher

Prust-Desharnais-Bourque

Which does leave Galchenyuk off the ice, but you could also depending on your opponent, ice some sort of not often seen 4th line involving all fairly young guys they see the ice sparingly late when up, but also can be sent out and relied upon

Galchenyuk-Bournival-White

I actually really like that top 12, which obviously doesn't include Briere because this team is worse with him. Despite my thinking his signing wasn't nearly as bad as others.

I love that 3rd line, Prust isn't gonna score a bunch but he will open up space and create havoc just like Cole did on that line, and Bourque brings a lot of the same traits Pacioretty does as well IMO.

I feel he's been playing very well most of the season so far. He's excellent on the pk. I hope he's ok. I don't know how severe the cut is yet.

Yeah,,,,hopefully it wasn't something serious like an eye. Cuts heal,,, they just add a little character.

Archived