The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#32 Travis Moen 2013-2014

ColRouleBleu

Moen is progressing and following protocol, but wont be ready for tomorrow night. I miss Moen.

When he's ready, who sits though? It will probably be Bournival, but I think his speed is a valuable asset on that line and, as a result, they were able to take advantage of Tampa's 4th line. A good problem to have, but what to do...

When he's ready, who sits though? It will probably be Bournival, but I think his speed is a valuable asset on that line and, as a result, they were able to take advantage of Tampa's 4th line. A good problem to have, but what to do...

Personally, I'm not sure Moen slots into the line-up right now. I think Bournival made a few mistakes and I don't think Prust played very well last night. Otherwise, the 10 forwards we had in the line-up were pretty good and/or are locks to stay in. So maybe White or Moen rotates in with Bournival or Prust, but I'd frankly rather have Bournival in there against Tampa. As you said, his speed is an asset...

Personally, I'm not sure Moen slots into the line-up right now. I think Bournival made a few mistakes and I don't think Prust played very well last night. Otherwise, the 10 forwards we had in the line-up were pretty good and/or are locks to stay in. So maybe White or Moen rotates in with Bournival or Prust, but I'd frankly rather have Bournival in there against Tampa. As you said, his speed is an asset...

Agreed. I'd like to give Prust another game to see if he can pick-up his game a notch... if not then Moen could slot in there beside Plekanec.

Guest mrsmarkov

This is exactly what I was thinking. As much as I want Moen back, I also don't want the lines to be fooled around with. At least I don't at this moment..lets see how game 2 goes first.

Guest habs1952

Moen sits until someone falters. You can't disrupt a winning lineup.

Guest mrsmarkov

Moen sits until someone falters. You can't disrupt a winning lineup.

Ya sure..tell Therrien that. We will see how disciplined MT is..

I'd bring Moen into the lineup if he's ready to go. I'm not sure who sits though. It seems like we're playing really well and that all four lines are working hard. It's hard to think about who you could sit out in favor of him.

It's a tough situation. I think saying nobody is playing bad is a terrible reason to not try to improve, but I also don't know who sits, and I don't think we can afford rust if we play him against Boston. If he's good against Tampa for a game or maybe two, I think we should play, just because I think he's a guy we need against Boston.

It's a tough situation. I think saying nobody is playing bad is a terrible reason to not try to improve, but I also don't know who sits, and I don't think we can afford rust if we play him against Boston. If he's good against Tampa for a game or maybe two, I think we should play, just because I think he's a guy we need against Boston.

Problem is.....there's only one more game against Tampa. (Heh, heh......) But seriously, we just don't need to rush anyone in fresh off of an injury right now. Moen is an experienced veteran, and if the situation calls for him to be thrown in against the big, ugly Boo-ins as his first playoff action of the season, then we'll do exactly that. He'll be fine. At least we know the BOS-DET series isn't going to be over in four games.

I'm not sure I'd throw Moen back in even if he were healthy. I don't think he's enough of a an upgrade to warrant disrupting how well we're playing right now and I just don't see where he fits into the line-up. The logical place is as a 4th line winger, but Weise and Bournival have done their jobs thus far, and while Bournival is a rookie, his speed and better offensive capabilities than Moen make him a much better fit to be playing with Briere. To me, Moen remains in the press box for this series, although he may be needed if we end up facing Boston in round 2.

Guest mrsmarkov

I'm not sure I'd throw Moen back in even if he were healthy. I don't think he's enough of a an upgrade to warrant disrupting how well we're playing right now and I just don't see where he fits into the line-up. The logical place is as a 4th line winger, but Weise and Bournival have done their jobs thus far, and while Bournival is a rookie, his speed and better offensive capabilities than Moen make him a much better fit to be playing with Briere. To me, Moen remains in the press box for this series, although he may be needed if we end up facing Boston in round 2.

Agreed. Though he will probably just injure himself again against those bears.

Guest mrsmarkov

Ya, I don't think Moen goes in until someone else falters at this point.

Looks like he will be playing with Briere and Weise game 1 against the Bruins.

I was initially dismayed when Bournival was dropped to slot this chap in. But after tonight's game, I can see why he was dressed :) .

We needed someone like him against the Bruins. You just have to match certain types of players against particular opponents.

I disagree. You play your best players, let the other team match up to you. If we play Bournival-Briere-Weise against Paille-Campbell-Thornton, I think that's to our advantage. Those Boston players are slower and despite the fact they might pound us a bit, that 4th line of ours could skate circles around them. By playing Moen-Briere-Weise, you render Briere completely ineffective and make that match-up about size rather than skill, which is to Boston's advantage.

I disagree. You play your best players, let the other team match up to you. If we play Bournival-Briere-Weise against Paille-Campbell-Thornton, I think that's to our advantage. Those Boston players are slower and despite the fact they might pound us a bit, that 4th line of ours could skate circles around them. By playing Moen-Briere-Weise, you render Briere completely ineffective and make that match-up about size rather than skill, which is to Boston's advantage.

I agree with this. I think it was evident that the Habs missed Bournival's speed and tenacity last night. Moen looked slow to me and had little impact on the game overall (though playing with Prust and Weise caused the Bruins penalty in OT). Can Travis play better? Possibly, but it is understandable that he would not be in the greatest game-shape after such a long layoff.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mrsmarkov

Wow I just remembered he exists. Wow the Habs have been stressing me out this much, that I have obviously lost my mind.

So... what's the scoop on Travis?

I think he's healthy he's just having a tough time getting into the lineup. I mean he's not making the top 9, & we have Prust, Weiss, Briere, White, Bournival and Moen all vying for those 3 spots.

Maybe - if we are able to come back & win this series - Moen draws in against a team like Chicago, but tough to say.

My guess is we ice the same lineup as last night (not my choice, but my guess) with Bournival taking Prusts' spot being the only change.

• 2 weeks later...

Is he signed through for the next season? If so, can he find a ready spot on this roster?

Yeah, signed for 1 more year. Will be interesting to see what the plan is for Travis. He couldn't draw in but I wonder if he was still hurting. MT relied on him heavily all year, then he came back for only a few games in the playoffs & then no more. Maybe he was still showing concussion symptoms or something.

If we decide to move on from him, I'm sure there are some teams that would be interested in acquiring him.

Guest mrsmarkov

Yeah, signed for 1 more year. Will be interesting to see what the plan is for Travis. He couldn't draw in but I wonder if he was still hurting. MT relied on him heavily all year, then he came back for only a few games in the playoffs & then no more. Maybe he was still showing concussion symptoms or something.

If we decide to move on from him, I'm sure there are some teams that would be interested in acquiring him.

Ya from what I've heard he was never 100% again, took him a while to get back to normal.

There's no doubt in my mind that he would be scooped up by another team if we decide to move on.

Archived