Birth Place: Baar, CHE
Birth Date: 09-Jan-1986 Age: 27
Height: 5' 11" Weight: 197
Drafted by: not drafted Draft Year: n/a
Acquired: EV Zug Swiss A League 2011

0a78819053b9451d8e201de2950197ab_normal. @diaz_raphael_61

168424255_slide.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know alot of people think that Diaz is too soft and too small,but I have liked him from day one,I think that people don't really take that much notice of him unless he makes a mistake.But he is great on the blue line he can take the puck from most people and he rarely lets one just slide by him.

When he was playing in the worlds last year,he was on the blue line and the commentator said he was one of the best on the line in the competition especially on the power play.

I think he is the most underated by HABS fans than anyone else on the team,we certainly missed him when he was injured,it took a while for him to get back to shape,but I think he will be great this year.

He will be at the olympics and Switzerland is a good team,so he has a chance of a medal.

GO DIAZ GO :wub::wub::wub: :wub: :wub:

I know alot of people think that Diaz is too soft and too small,but I have liked him from day one,I think that people don't really take that much notice of him unless he makes a mistake.But he is great on the blue line he can take the puck from most people and he rarely lets one just slide by him.

When he was playing in the worlds last year,he was on the blue line and the commentator said he was one of the best on the line in the competition especially on the power play.

I think he is the most underated by HABS fans than anyone else on the team,we certainly missed him when he was injured,it took a while for him to get back to shape,but I think he will be great this year.

He will be at the olympics and Switzerland is a good team,so he has a chance of a medal.

GO DIAZ GO :wub::wub::wub: :wub: :wub:

Is Diaz in an enviable position being one of only two right-hand d-men on the Habs roster? With the injuries he has sustained the past two seasons, is the jury still out? Marc Bergevin keeps adding to the d-corps to make them bigger and tougher... so what could this mean for Raphael (help or competition)?

Is Diaz in an enviable position being one of only two right-hand d-men on the Habs roster? With the injuries he has sustained the past two seasons, is the jury still out? Marc Bergevin keeps adding to the d-corps to make them bigger and tougher... so what could this mean for Raphael (help or competition)?

Yes to all those points HHN

I like Diaz HHN, but in reality we haven't really gotten a good look at him. As aforementioned in one of my previous posts, these last 2 seasons haven't been kind to Diaz, he's played more hockey injured, than healthy.

I see what you see as well HHN, MB keeps adding size, not sure if that means Diaz may be on the block or if MB is simply adding depth due to all the injuries we had last season (especially on the blueline). I really feel that Diaz was rushed back due to the emelin injury and it was pretty clear to me that he wasn't 100%.

Diaz could be good trade bait, he's often injured, but when healthy has put up respectable numbers. Let's not forget he's a right handed shot as well, a lot of teams looking for right handed off-dmen for their PP and at ES. At 27 he's right in the prime of his playing career, if he could stay healthy, he could give us a boost on our back end or even attract the attention of a GM looking for a right handed off-dman.

Although, with MB trying to add size and with the def prospects we have coming up, Diaz may not be in MB's plans going forward. We have no choice to use him this season as no one in our system is able to give us what Diaz presently brings, but trade deadline, even next season we could see Diaz on his way out of Montreal.

We're in a pretty good situation, we have a right handed off-dman who when healthy has shown he can put up the numbers. Either he works into our future plans or trade him to a team in need of a right handed off-dman. But if he can't stay healthy, we'll have a hard time moving him or getting anything of quality back.

Every one was suprised hen PG signed Diaz,no one knew anything about him,but I have to say he can be really good WHEN he is healthy,hope he stays here for a while and shows what he is really capable of,I noticed in the worlds he gave a couple of really good hits.

I expect they gave him a regime to beef up a little in the off season,can't wait to see him back on the ice.One of my favorites.

GO DIAZ GO :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Got my smileys back today

Diaz is great as long as he is being used properly.. I can see him ending up paired with Murray as the third pairing and quarterbacking the second powerplay unit. I don't like him in the top 4 though. Ideally I see it ending up Subban-Gorges, Markov-Emelin, Diaz-Murray.

• 1 month later...
SCOUTING REPORT

Assets:

Is a smooth skater with puck poise and some offensive acumen. Moves the puck efficiently most of the time. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes when he has the puck.

Flaws:

Lacks size and strength, so he can get knocked off the puck with relative frequency. Needs to be more assertive when on the ice, both on offense and defense.

Career Potential:

Smooth, yet fragile puck-moving defenseman.

the goal against last night was another sucide type pass to eller again! I worry every time he has the puck in the d zone. he has a good offensive upside but he is to shakey in our zone.

Once Emelin and Murray come back healthy I think Diaz may end up where Weber was the last couple of years.

With Subban and a Healthy Markov, an undervalued Josh Georges, Tindordi getting better each game, I love the thought of adding Murray and Emelin to that group in the next few months, I imagine price likes the thought also of Murray Tinordi and Ememlin moving people from in front of the net, and opeing up the lanes fopr a clean few of the shot.

Once Emelin and Murray come back healthy I think Diaz may end up where Weber was the last couple of years.

With Subban and a Healthy Markov, an undervalued Josh Georges, Tindordi getting better each game, I love the thought of adding Murray and Emelin to that group in the next few months, I imagine price likes the thought also of Murray Tinordi and Ememlin moving people from in front of the net, and opeing up the lanes fopr a clean few of the shot.

Nevermind Murray, when Emelin comes back Diaz may look at losing a spot.

Subban-Emelin

Markov-Gorges

Tinordi-Diaz/Beaulieu/Boullion

is just a sample pairings list, not showing how I prefer the pairings to be or how they will be. Anyway you cut it, that last pairing will have 4 or 5 guys competing for a couple spots.

Am I the only one who was impressed with him last night? Sure he made a mistake on the goal against, but otherwise I liked how he intercepted passes and boxed people out. It's not easy going against the Sedin's.

He was otherwise very solid defensively last night and he's been pretty good on the PK as well. He isn't amazing but he's probably become underrated around here TBH. I still don't see a future with him simply because someone like Beaulieu will probably pass him on the depth chart soon.

He was otherwise very solid defensively last night and he's been pretty good on the PK as well. He isn't amazing but he's probably become underrated around here TBH. I still don't see a future with him simply because someone like Beaulieu will probably pass him on the depth chart soon.

Yeah. Its kind of similar to our situation at forward where its not a situation of liking or disliking certain players, its just a matter of fit.

Well at last some one else see's what I see,Diaz looked last night like he did at the beginning of last season,he is the sort of player,nobody see's unless he makes a mistake,I have always liked him.

I think because I watch most of the games on RDS,and don't understand a word of French,I watch the game more than listening to the commentators,it's suprisng how much more i learn about the game and the players.I am sure there are other peple who do the same.

I agree that we will not have room for Diaz soon, but I hope they don't just let him walk,as I am sure he is worth something to another team,if he just goes to UFA he will be picked up straight away,he will play D for the Swiss in the olynpics,if he show cases like he did in the worlds,we could get a food pick for him.

GO DIAZ GO :wub::wub: :wub: :wub::wub:

Archived