Birth Place: Hudson, WI, USA
Birth Date: 22-Nov-1984 Age: 28
Height: 6' 2" Weight: 220
Drafted by: not drafted Draft Year: n/a
Acquired: Traded from LA 2013

0a78819053b9451d8e201de2950197ab_normal. @D_Wisk

165865674_slide.jpg

• 1 month later...

He can still be sent to the minors even on a one-way contract, can't he?

Yes he can. In he event a team picks him off waivers, they would have to place him on their roster and that would most likely be a non issue. How many other teams out there would open up a roster spot for him when there are still a bunch of UFA's out there still looking for work? Usually teams fill that #7 spot with someone from their own system, unless they are decimated by injuries.

Yes he can. In he event a team picks him off waivers, they would have to place him on their roster and that would most likely be a non issue. How many other teams out there would open up a roster spot for him when there are still a bunch of UFA's out there still looking for work? Usually teams fill that #7 spot with someone from their own system, unless they are decimated by injuries.

i wouldn't worry about him having to clear waivers.

In fact some teams have purposely put 4th liners and bottom pairing dmen on waivers in hope that another team picks them up, which rarely happens.

Unless they're really hampered by injury and there's no one in their system ready to be called up, a team wouldn't claim a bottom pairing dman.

We did it with halpern, but we were decimated by injury, needed help in the FO circle and on the PK. Halpern fit our needs perfectly.

Reminds me of the Woywitka signing. Woywitka was outplayed by guys like Emelin and Diaz in training camp, so we sent him down but he was claimed by the Rangers who were dealing with injuries at the time. I don't know where the heck Woywitka is now(probably floating in the AHL or a European league) but we didn't really miss him at all(maybe because he didn't even play a single regular season game for us IIRC).

Reminds me of the Woywitka signing. Woywitka was outplayed by guys like Emelin and Diaz in training camp, so we sent him down but he was claimed by the Rangers who were dealing with injuries at the time. I don't know where the heck Woywitka is now(probably floating in the AHL or a European league) but we didn't really miss him at all(maybe because he didn't even play a single regular season game for us IIRC).

I think younger guys on higher salary 2 way contracts will be sent down over Drewiske...or maybe even a guy like Bouillon if Emelin comes back and they're 8 deep without young Jared in the line up.

I get the feeling tehy signed Drewiskie almost primarily to be the cheap 7th d-man on the roster.

I think younger guys on higher salary 2 way contracts will be sent down over Drewiske...or maybe even a guy like Bouillon if Emelin comes back and they're 8 deep without young Jared in the line up.

I get the feeling tehy signed Drewiskie almost primarily to be the cheap 7th d-man on the roster.

I'd very much rather risk losing Drewiske to waivers than Bouillon. I'd rather have Bouillon as the press box guy.I doubt Bouillon would clear waivers anyways, while I think Drewiske would.

I'd very much rather risk losing Drewiske to waivers than Bouillon. I'd rather have Bouillon as the press box guy.I doubt Bouillon would clear waivers anyways, while I think Drewiske would.

There's zero logic to signing Drewiske to a 2 year deal if you're going to risk losing him through waivers.

I'd rather have a 635K guy sitting in the press box than a 1.5 million dollar player. Nothing against Bouillon but he isn't really anything special at this point of his career either.

And with his 1.5 million salary it wouldn't shock me at all if he cleared waivers if put on.

There's zero logic to signing Drewiske to a 2 year deal if you're going to risk losing him through waivers.

I'd rather have a 635K guy sitting in the press box than a 1.5 million dollar player. Nothing against Bouillon but he isn't really anything special at this point of his career either.

And with his 1.5 million salary it wouldn't shock me at all if he cleared waivers if put on.

PUBLISHED 13 June 2013 ... Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced the signing of defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract extension (2013-14 and 2014-15). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

I agree with your assessment... the price/contract is right. Although he did extend Bouillon during last season, I never understood why. Now with Murray things just get more interesting every day.

It wouldn't bother me too much if we lost either Drewiske or Bouillon, to be honest. Neither one is going to play a big factor in the success or failure of this team. Drewiske wasn't very impressive last year and he's not a spring chicken either. And in Bouillon's case, while I do think he's the better of the two players by a fair bit (in terms of toughness, hitting ability, experience, positional play, etc.), he really wore down as the (shortened) season went on last year. I don't know how well he'll hold up over 82 games. It's nice to have a veteran like that as your #7 guy, but I don't know that he'll just accept that role and as KIR said, 1.5M is a lot to be paying a guy in the pressbox. I'd much rather see us keep Tinordi around than go with either Drewiske or Bouillon.

It wouldn't bother me too much if we lost either Drewiske or Bouillon, to be honest. Neither one is going to play a big factor in the success or failure of this team. Drewiske wasn't very impressive last year and he's not a spring chicken either. And in Bouillon's case, while I do think he's the better of the two players by a fair bit (in terms of toughness, hitting ability, experience, positional play, etc.), he really wore down as the (shortened) season went on last year. I don't know how well he'll hold up over 82 games. It's nice to have a veteran like that as your #7 guy, but I don't know that he'll just accept that role and as KIR said, 1.5M is a lot to be paying a guy in the pressbox. I'd much rather see us keep Tinordi around than go with either Drewiske or Bouillon.

I agree about Tinordi... but I wouldn't like to see him sitting in the pressbox. I'd rather live with the learning curve and give him as much ice-time as possible.

I don't know. Ask MB. We have cap space, so it shouldn't really matter if the one getting more money stays up. If you have cap problems than I'd understand, but we don't. If we add somebody else and than don't have enough cap space than I that would change it, but as of right now there's no problem. I'd rather have Drewiske help Hamilton than eat dust in the press box. Besides, if there's another injury I'd rather have a youngin play than Drewiske. And I'd only send him down if Tinordi or somebody stays up or when Emelin's back and we are completely healthy. We only need one guy in the press box IMO. If Bouillon's already there than we don't need Drewiske there.

Just to clear things up, I don't think we'd actually save very much by sending down Bouillon instead of Drewiske. From what I understand under the new CBA only the first 900K comes off the cap when a player plays in the AHL, so we'd really only be saving a little more than 250K. I'm not saying that I would favour sending Bouillon down, I just don't think that salary will have much bearing.

If anything, I can't see the GM getting rid of one of our few French Canadian players, and a fan favourite that they signed half way through last season to boot. No, I think Drewiske will be the odd man out once everyone is healthy.

I can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to send Bouillon down. Even if someone wins his spot I much rather have in ready to go in the case of an injury. I know it's funny to make a few Bouillon jokes, but he's a more skilled defensemen than Drewiske or even Murray for that matter. Anyway, if the entire team is healthy, the team is going to have 3 guys in the pressbox. One of those guys may as well be Drewiske.

I can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to send Bouillon down. Even if someone wins his spot I much rather have in ready to go in the case of an injury. I know it's funny to make a few Bouillon jokes, but he's a more skilled defensemen than Drewiske or even Murray for that matter. Anyway, if the entire team is healthy, the team is going to have 3 guys in the pressbox. One of those guys may as well be Drewiske.

With the trend Marc Bergevin seems to be setting to get bigger I'm not convinced that Bouillon fits the profile (even if he "may" be more skilled). Signing Drewiske for two years this summer at a lower cap hit than Bouillon may indicate that, French canadian or not, size/age/cost could be the more determing factor. Bouillon may still be a tradeble asset, albeit for perhaps a low draft pick, if Bergevin wants to trim the defense.

He can still be sent to the minors even on a one-way contract, can't he?

Yes, but a one-way contract generally signals that you're probably not going to go to the minors, because it's a big waste of money. It happens certainly, but pretty safe to say MB's plans are for him to stay with the Habs (possibly in the press-box)

• 3 weeks later...

bad luck. with our injuries the start of the season was probably his best chance to show the team that he is a useful player. now he may never get that chance.

I'll miss seeing his pretty face during the warmups at the Bell Centre but that's about it B) Seriously, it's sad for him but no great hurt for the team.

Archived