Birth Date: 14-Aug-1984 Age: 28
Height: 6' 1" Weight: 203
Drafted by: not drafted Draft Year: n/a
Acquired: Traded from San Jose 2007

0a78819053b9451d8e201de2950197ab_normal. @jgorges26

168424521_slide.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bounce back year for Gorges lets hope.

He still has the ability to be a top 4 I think. I am not sure he can be a top 2 (which is, in effect, what we are asking him to do pairing him with Subban & giving him those minutes/matchups every single night).

If I were MT I would absolutely break up the PK-gorges line and put Pk with Emelin (or someone else if MB can actually land us a true top pairing dman) and then play Gorges with Markov - and a reduced time and workload from the Pk-____ pairing.

• 3 weeks later...

Cograts to Josh on his wedding,only found out about it today,so I am sorry I am late,but looks like he kept it secret.

GO JOSH GO :wub::wub::wub: :wub: :wub:

Know that being married will help you this year,gonna have a good one

• 1 month later...

SCOUTING REPORT

Assets:

Makes the most of his ability and usually limits the mistakes in the defensive zone. Is a quality teammate with sound work ethic. Can line up on either side of the ice. Leads by example. Blocks shots with aplomb.

Flaws:

Is extremely limited in the offensive zone--defense is the name of his game. Lacks a strong point shot, so he's not much of point producer at the National Hockey League level. Is only average in terms of size.

Career Potential:

Big-minute shutdown defenseman and leader.

Montreal 4 Vancouver 1

The match-up of the evening was the defense pairing of Gorges and Diaz against the top line for the Canucks. Despite allowing the one goal, the tandem was otherwise perfect in limiting the twins scoring chances and keeping the lead. Both even managed to get on the scoresheet, Diaz would log 2 helpers and Gorges even managed to score a goal in front of his grandmother in attendance! A glimpse of that footage made everyone smile.

Ya, I mentioned in the game day thread how I liked him play yesterday.

Looked really good,liked that he scored goal,a couple of seasons ago he started shooting more often,because the rest of the team was encouraging him,then he seemed to stop again.Loved his grandma.

GO GORGES GO :wub::wub: :wub: :wub::wub:

That's messed up. :wacko: That was clearly, IMO, the type of hit they keep saying they are trying to get out of the game. Maybe if Josh had stayed on the ice and missed a few weeks because of an injury they would have reviewed it. <_<

Well Josh did stay on the ice for a good 5 seconds and the referee just watched him lying there. Watching the replay, I can see how the ref missed it from the opposite corner because Josh's body shielded that official from seeing Gabrile Bourque in the face. However, the back ref should have in theory picked up an angle to make that call and since the puck was there, you'd think someone would have seen it. At the end of the day, the call was missed on the ice for what in retrospect should have been 5 and a game, but I'll be a little more forgiving for human error on a fast-paced play. What is completely appalling, on the other hand, is that the NHL would refuse to act and not even make a public statement saying the hit was reviewed. To make it a play of the night is just adding insult to injury, literally. That hit could easily have caused a concussion on a player who was blindsided (with his head down, Gorges clearly did not see the player coming). As Andrew Berkshire tweeted, this hit is no different than the hit for which Ryan White was suspended 5 games. I don't believe Bourque meant to hurt Gorges and I believe he meant to make a full-body hit, but he still ended up making the head the primary point of contact and Gorges did not suddenly put his head down, it was looking down at the puck well before the hit was made. In the end, this is yet another example of incompetence on the part of Brendan Shanahan's office and we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that Gorges doesn't develop new symptoms nor hide symptoms to try and help the team just because he knows we're already thin due to injuries.

Josh has not been his steady self since the start of the season IMO and has been exposed as simply being a 5th defenseman at best, The fact that he and Diaz are playing top 4 minutes reveals just how weak the Habs are on defense. Markov Subban as the number one pairing is okay... Gorges and Diaz as the third pairing may be acceptable... but a number two pairing is in dire need IMO. Emelin may help when he is top form as one of the two but I'm not convinced that Murray, Bouillon and others would be legit second pairing d-men. Either a trade or one of Tinordi/Beaulieu (who are not there yet as we have witnessed) or Pateryn/Nygren needs to step up and impress.

• 3 weeks later...

He's been good IMO. Our third best defensemen so far this year(Not counting Emelin cause it's only been three games) behind Markov and Subban.

Gorges is good, he's struggled a bit since his partner Gill has left. With the exception of Subban, he's probably our most reliable dman. Unfortunately he isn't the biggest body, so he does get tossed around a lot.

For a player who sees a lot of PK minutes and is never used in offensive situations, -4 isn't that bad. Soup plays less minutes at ES than gorges, he does see quite a bit of PK time and also plays on our 2nd PP unit (should have some +'s from playing the PP) and he's -10.

Gorges is good, he's struggled a bit since his partner Gill has left. With the exception of Subban, he's probably our most reliable dman. Unfortunately he isn't the biggest body, so he does get tossed around a lot.

For a player who sees a lot of PK minutes and is never used in offensive situations, -4 isn't that bad. Soup plays less minutes at ES than gorges, he does see quite a bit of PK time and also plays on our 2nd PP unit (should have some +'s from playing the PP) and he's -10.

plus/minus is only even strength and shorthanded goals, but you're point still stands IMO. He's been solid this year, no complaints here.

Archived