The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#26 Josh Gorges 2013-2014

Georges is four times better then Weaver. He takes the player instead of the puck, Which Weaver goes for every time. That will work on the lesser players . But the skilled guys will beat Weaver every time.

Edited.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You can make your point without suggesting other members' opinions are not valid or questioning their abilities to observe. Thanks.

Weaver has 111 hits through 64 games while Gorges is at 86 hits in 63 games...

I agree Gorges is better but I don't think there's a huge gap and I don't really think Gorges' physical game is any better than Weaver's. Weaver has also played against pretty skilled guys all year in Florida.

It doesn't have to be an either or, and I think most people would agree that Gorges is the better player. I just don't really know that there's a huge gap between the two.

Guest mrsmarkov

Not a huge gap between them at all. Weaver is actually growing on me more than Gorges ever has. But only time will tell, it's still early.

The only main difference is that Gorges is a leader.

Guest mrsmarkov

Not a huge gap between them at all. Weaver is actually growing on me more than Gorges ever has. But only time will tell, it's still early.

The only main difference is that Gorges is a leader.

Oh and I forgot to add...huge age difference.

Can we just have both? :lol:

We could fit Weaver and Gorges into the same line-up, but the question I'd ask going into next year is whether we need Gorges, Emelin, Weaver, AND TInordi. Weaver is a free agent and has little value to trade even if we sign him, but trading Gorges or Emelin could potentially give us a decent return. So if you have the option of trading Gorges for a 2nd line RW, perhaps you make that move and sub in Weaver on the back end. Gorges is the superior player, but if you can upgrade elsewhere, at least you have a guy who can step into the role.

Guest mrsmarkov

We could fit Weaver and Gorges into the same line-up, but the question I'd ask going into next year is whether we need Gorges, Emelin, Weaver, AND TInordi. Weaver is a free agent and has little value to trade even if we sign him, but trading Gorges or Emelin could potentially give us a decent return. So if you have the option of trading Gorges for a 2nd line RW, perhaps you make that move and sub in Weaver on the back end. Gorges is the superior player, but if you can upgrade elsewhere, at least you have a guy who can step into the role.

I can't argue there.

His possession stats on surface look bad but when you take a closer look you see that Therrien has given him very tough minutes and it isn't bad when you take that I not account. Him and Diaz did the hard work while Markov and Subban played bigger but easier and more offensively-oriented minutes. Some didn't like Gorges-Diaz, but it worked. It's a big reason why we were better before Emelin came back and that solid top four was ruined. Since then he played some pretty tough minutes doing okay with Subban.

He was also very good possession-wise last year(like the rest of the team) but he had the luxury of playing with Subban who was unbelievably awesome last season(he's been a lot worse this season IMO but so has the rest of our team). He also did well with Subban the year before on the terrible team.

The blocked shots and hits may make it seem like he isn't a good possession player but I think the percentage of shot attempts taken by the other team that he blocks is high and it doesn't necessarily mean a high amount of shot attempts get taken when he's on. He may still allow lots of shot attempts but it's reasonable given his deployment. He's faced the toughest QOC out of all our defencemen.

His possession stats on surface look bad but when you take a closer look you see that Therrien has given him very tough minutes and it isn't bad when you take that I not account. Him and Diaz did the hard work while Markov and Subban played bigger but easier and more offensively-oriented minutes. Some didn't like Gorges-Diaz, but it worked. It's a big reason why we were better before Emelin came back and that solid top four was ruined. Since then he played some pretty tough minutes doing okay with Subban.

Yeah, I would really like Therrien to get away from the Gorges-Subban pairing for good because it doesn't allow you to maximize either guy's value. Gorges is at his most valuable playing shutdown minutes with a Diaz/Weaver type in tough situations and keeping his head above water. Subban is at his best with a Markov type and loling at other team's 3rd lines. When you pair them together you have to bias deployment one way or the other and you lose part of what makes both guys valuable.

That's been the biggest problem this year. Going from Diaz to Emelin in the #4 spot is killing us.

I tend to agree with this. Diaz's abilities made him an easy fit in almost any pairing, kind of like Gorges. Emelin's style of play has been a bit of a tough match up. I thnk our best bet for the remainder of this year is to keep Gorges with Subban. But believe this is something that needs to be resolved soon. It would be nice to see Emelin and Tinordi together one day although I am not sure I could watch if we did that this year and I would like to see Weaver with Emelin. Weaver's experience makes him a very good asset and I hope Therrien experiments with him a little more before the playoffs as I think he can play anywhere and with anyone.

Guest mrsmarkov

Well..that is at least a good sign..

It is, but I just wonder where this will leave Weaver. He deserves to stay in the lineup.

Archived