The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

#26 Josh Gorges 2013-2014

For JVR I wouldn;t care about doing the right thing! Do we really need Kadri or Lupul either though?

JVR and Gardiner are really the only two players of interest on the Leafs NHL roster, if you ask me. Doubt Leafs move JVR for Gorges, since the rumor was that they offered him for the 1st overall pick. We'd have to give more to get JVR than just Josh.

JVR and Gardiner are really the only two players of interest on the Leafs NHL roster, if you ask me. Doubt Leafs move JVR for Gorges, since the rumor was that they offered him for the 1st overall pick. We'd have to give more to get JVR than just Josh.

I would add rielly and kessel to that list but agreed. So that's why I'm glad he said no.

This situation is reminding me of Mike Keane being shipped to Colorado in Roy deal. He did not wanna go either, still remember it like it was yesterday :/

Guest mrsmarkov

I just worry about what sort of impact this has on team psyche. I think the guy is the living embodiment of the "character player" that was supposed to be the crux of Bergevin's management philosophy. As stated above, the guy performed reasonably well, has a palatable contract, and provides so many of the non-compensated characteristics that you hope for from a player. I am just left scratching my head by the mere suggestion of letting this guy go, especially because of the leadership vacuum that will be created if Bergevin lets Gionta walk as well. What message does this send to the other players, exactly? Trading Gorges just doesn't seem "right." Yeah... that's kind of cheesy, but there are other defensemen I'd consider moving before Gorges. Sooooo.... on the record... DON'T TRADE HIM, PLEASE! Forgive my bleeding heart.

There's no need for me to type what I intended to. This sums my thoughts up exactly, minus the Gio part, I can take him or leave him. This whole Gorges trade talk is just classless. I couldn't believe the news when I first heard it. It makes me sick actually. He deserves so much better. He has done everything and more of what has been asked of him. Players like him don't just come around every day. Whoever gets him will score big time and every team knows it. He embodies everything a true Habs player should have. What hurts the most is that he doesn't want to leave and nor does he deserve to. I can't believe the guy actually still wants to stay regardless of this disrespect. That just proves how classy he is and how much he believes in this organization.

There's no need for me to type what I intended to. This sums my thoughts up exactly, minus the Gio part, I can take him or leave him. This whole Gorges trade talk is just classless. I couldn't believe the news when I first heard it. It makes me sick actually. He deserves so much better. He has done everything and more of what has been asked of him. Players like him don't just come around every day. Whoever gets him will score big time and every team knows it. He embodies everything a true Habs player should have. What hurts the most is that he doesn't want to leave and nor does he deserve to. I can't believe the guy actually still wants to stay regardless of this disrespect. That just proves how classy he is and how much he believes in this organization.

I really do not like how this is being handled either. This whole scenario seems odd though. It makes me think the Leafs have made a very good offer and if it does happen to be JVR, I'm on board. You can't pass on that deal but I really don't see the Leafs offering that. It would be insane. I don't particularly like Kadri, but the kid has some serious talent. I wouldn't be terribly upset if he ended up here, as long as we can sign someone to replace Gorges. If not, we are in some trouble.

I just thought about something: does anyone know if Gallagher is still living with Georges??? AWKWARD!

Not during summer. If Gorges is traded, he'll just have to find new digs for next season, or buy Gorges' house if he really doesn't want to move.

Not during summer. If Gorges is traded, he'll just have to find new digs for next season, or buy Gorges' house if he really doesn't want to move.

Maybe Gallagher can move in with Galchenyuk and his family. That way they can spend more time fake-bickering! That's really the major outfall of a Gorges trade.

K if u don't know Habs r traden josh. So they have cap room for Pk. They sign Markova over the hill man. Now need to sign p k. So josh out. What a joke. Habs won't make playoffs next 3 years because of these moves For josh. He will be choked but its time to leave if they think he's not worth it. Brutal move

K was the first to post wat was happening. Had some here say I don't no josh. No wats going on wish I could say more

Well when MB said he wanted to build chareter he had Josh to build around. Moving him only means his doesn't care about this at all because as GM he is not showing any himself. So in the future any no trade clause isn't worth anything to MB when it comes down to it. What do you think this shows to Subban or any free agent looking to come here. This is how you will treated by being a 100% team player this is how we're going to treat you ....welcome to Montreal!!!

Well when MB said he wanted to build chareter he had Josh to build around. Moving him only means his doesn't care about this at all because as GM he is not showing any himself. So in the future any no trade clause isn't worth anything to MB when it comes down to it. What do you think this shows to Subban or any free agent looking to come here. This is how you will treated by being a 100% team player this is how we're going to treat you ....welcome to Montreal!!!

Yeah, it's bizarre that MB is basically purging the guys most people in Montreal would say provide a lot of the leadership and/or character: Gionta, Gorges, Bouillon, White... I wouldn't be surprised if Moen is on his way out too. Maybe he's making room for the next generation to take over the team.

Apparently the deal to TO isn't dead yet - Brendan Shannan "Continues to try to encourage Josh to waive his NTC" - not sure how that will go (and heck we still don't know what toronto is offering) but its interesting to see Shanny push so hard for Josh.

K was the first to post wat was happening. Had some here say I don't no josh. No wats going on wish I could say more

Not that it really matters, but actually CRB posted it first in the draft thread.

Yeah, it's bizarre that MB is basically purging the guys most people in Montreal would say provide a lot of the leadership and/or character: Gionta, Gorges, Bouillon, White... I wouldn't be surprised if Moen is on his way out too. Maybe he's making room for the next generation to take over the team.

Early in the summer Bergevin had an interview where he was saying things like how there are many leaders here and the younger players have stepped up so it's not an issue and things like that. I was scared it meant no more Marky but at least he was signed.

Apparently the deal to TO isn't dead yet - Brendan Shannan "Continues to try to encourage Josh to waive his NTC" - not sure how that will go (and heck we still don't know what toronto is offering) but its interesting to see Shanny push so hard for Josh.

Shanny's probably watched a lot of different teams play in the past few years, so I imagine he has a good idea about what Gorges is worth. I'm sure he also knows how erratic his own D corps has been.

Shanny's probably watched a lot of different teams play in the past few years, so I imagine he has a good idea about what Gorges is worth. I'm sure he also knows how erratic his own D corps has been.

Shanny probably knew about the Polak trade too but that was still a bad trade for the Leafs.

IMHO Gorges won't be able to do much to straighten out that defense.

New management often take their time shaping their team. If Therrien and Bergevin are going to mess up they need to do it on their own terms. Moving out some of the old guard is a natural occurence (part of a process) Gorges' move may mean he has the confidence in the kids (that a lot of people complained didn't get ice time, we may not be able to complain and decide who's spot they take) or be trying to add some forward depth to our wings. Nice to hear Shanny wants Gorges, but what was Shanny thinking going to Toronto. Hopefully Gorges continues to have more sense.

As much as I like Gorges, he's mot an ideal partner for Subban and he won't be able to continue logging big minutes as the wear and tear take hold. He's excellent at blocking shots, but isn't a strong skater, hitter, passer, or shooter. I think he's slightly overpaid and depending on the return this could be a good deal for Montreal.

Mixed feelings about letting him go, as I consider him our best D-man after Subban. Also feels sorry for him about the way the matter has been leaked publicly. Didn't feel the management dealt with him fairly.

Wish him the best if he's really gone. After all, Raphael Diaz received an ECF winners' medal after leaving us.

It's obviously not great how things have gone, since Josh deserves some respect from the organization after having given so many years. But that doesn't mean that we need to be upset at Bergevin about it.

From a pure hockey standpoint, if the rumours are true and it was to be a forward coming out of Toronto, I would have been happy with a deal for any of Lupul, JVR or Kadri. I have nothing against Josh, but he's not getting any younger and we're not likely to ever get more for him than that. Sell high! We have options on defence, but with Vanek leaving we're looking a lot thinner at forward when it comes to scoring punch.

Even from a personal standpoint we still don't know that Bergevin did anything wrong. Think about it: how does it benefit the team to have this all go public like it has? Gorges isn't the kind of player that we'd be trying to ditch at all costs, so Bergevin would have to have at least considered the possibility that Josh would be back in Montreal next year if he can't find a good trade fit. With all the hoopla of the last few days that's now looking less likely, which is bad for the team (i.e. Bergevin). My bet is that somebody on the Toronto side of the deal was the source of the leak. It's been confirmed that Shanny has been pushing hard to get Gorges, and if you're trying to pry a heart-and-soul player from a rival I can't think of a better way to do it than to try to get him angry at his current team.

It's obviously not great how things have gone, since Josh deserves some respect from the organization after having given so many years. But that doesn't mean that we need to be upset at Bergevin about it.

From a pure hockey standpoint, if the rumours are true and it was to be a forward coming out of Toronto, I would have been happy with a deal for any of Lupul, JVR or Kadri. I have nothing against Josh, but he's not getting any younger and we're not likely to ever get more for him than that. Sell high! We have options on defence, but with Vanek leaving we're looking a lot thinner at forward when it comes to scoring punch.

Even from a personal standpoint we still don't know that Bergevin did anything wrong. Think about it: how does it benefit the team to have this all go public like it has? Gorges isn't the kind of player that we'd be trying to ditch at all costs, so Bergevin would have to have at least considered the possibility that Josh would be back in Montreal next year if he can't find a good trade fit. With all the hoopla of the last few days that's now looking less likely, which is bad for the team (i.e. Bergevin). My bet is that somebody on the Toronto side of the deal was the source of the leak. It's been confirmed that Shanny has been pushing hard to get Gorges, and if you're trying to pry a heart-and-soul player from a rival I can't think of a better way to do it than to try to get him angry at his current team.

Bingo, especially the bolded part. The only thing that i think was handled poorly was the team not talking to Josh ahead of time. Give him a few weeks to come to terms with the fact that he's no longer in our plans. It would probably also have been easier to convince him to waive the NTC vs. trying to do it all in a rush.

Bingo, especially the bolded part. The only thing that i think was handled poorly was the team not talking to Josh ahead of time. Give him a few weeks to come to terms with the fact that he's no longer in our plans. It would probably also have been easier to convince him to waive the NTC vs. trying to do it all in a rush.

But on the other hand, if you talk to him about being traded and then Toronto reneges on the offer, you've now just told a player you're keeping that he's no longer wanted anyways. Not a good way around that.

Archived