Greg Pateryn #64

8474688.jpg

__ Stats __.__ Splits __.__ Game Log __.__ Notes __.__ Videos __

Archive 2012-2013
Position: Defenseman Shoots: Right
Birth Place: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Birth Date: 20-Jun-1990 Age: 23
Height: 6' 2" Weight: 214
Drafted by: Toronto Draft Year: 2008 Round 5(128 overall)
Acquired: Traded from Toronto 2008

0a78819053b9451d8e201de2950197ab_normal. @Greg_Pateryn

163482190_slide.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think Pateryn could surprise this year. If it werent for his early injury last year, i think there would be a lot more talk about him. With him, Negryn and Tinordi really close to NHL ready, we are in a good position on D when it comes to size and youth on our back end. Not to mention Beaulieu knocking on the door as well.

• 2 months later...

Remember when Leafs' fans lauded how they must have had Bob Gainey at knifepoint to grab Mikhail Grabovski for a measly 5th-round pick in Greg Pateryn? Five years on, who's laughing now? The Belarusian is without an NHL contract after being bought out, then ripping his former head coach, Randy Carlyle to the Toronto media, and Greg Pateryn is geared up to begin his second pro season at the age of 23.

As a 22-year-old rookie (he's 23 now), Pateryn was forced into veteran role on the Bulldogs roster, and started the year as the third-oldest defender on the Bulldogs blueline (behind Frederic St-Denis and Brendon Nash). This was a testament not only to the Bulldogs youth movement, but how much the Bulldogs had to rely on some of their young guns.

Pateryn has moved up our rankings this year from 23rd to 21st, and the fact that he has risen is quite impressive considering the difficulties that befell him in his first pro year. A fractured elbow that required surgical repair limited to Pateryn to only 39 AHL games, and his first three NHL games.

Despite having his season hindered by an injury, it was quite a successful one for Pateryn, who tied for first in goals among Bulldogs defenseman with seven (St-Denis and Nathan Beaulieu also had seven). Pateryn's 12 points in the AHL don't look that impressive on the surface, although his pace would have seen him net 21 points over a full AHL season, which would rank him second among Bulldogs defensemen after Beaulieu.

Pateryn's success last season was impressive enough to earn him a call up before Jarred Tinordi and Beaulieu after Alexei Emelin's season ending injury; though that stint only lasted three games before they returned him, and tried up the two aforementioned players.

Remember when Leafs' fans lauded how they must have had Bob Gainey at knifepoint to grab Mikhail Grabovski for a measly 5th-round pick in Greg Pateryn? Five years on, who's laughing now? The Belarusian is without an NHL contract after being bought out, then ripping his former head coach, Randy Carlyle to the Toronto media, and Greg Pateryn is geared up to begin his second pro season at the age of 23.

FWIW, we also got a 2nd rounder in that deal. We ended up trading that pick to chicago for Robert Lang (who fit a need) but the deal is even better when you consider that Pateryn was the 'throw in.' That said, I think we could have gotten more for Grabs at the time, but in hindsight, 3 years later, it looks better.

FWIW, we also got a 2nd rounder in that deal. We ended up trading that pick to chicago for Robert Lang (who fit a need) but the deal is even better when you consider that Pateryn was the 'throw in.' That said, I think we could have gotten more for Grabs at the time, but in hindsight, 3 years later, it looks better.

He had some mental errors, but for the most part he had a great pre-season. i thought a lot of our young dmen did well this camp. Dietz was another nice surprise.

Leafs bought our grabs and the habs are sitting pretty with several promising young dmen.

Robert lang filled quite a need for us that season, too bad his season was cut short. I thought lang played well for us, believe he was leading the team in scoring when he was injured-Lacerated ligament or tendon.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel bad for Pateryn who I think is being lost in the shuffle right now. We have so many bodies on defense that Tinordi & Beaulieu are fighting for the vacent spot (which would otherwise be filled by Murray/Emelin etc) and in reality Pateryn may be the most NHL-ready of our dmen. The nice thing is that he seems patient & understands he must pay his dues. in a few years time we could realistically have a top 4 of

Subban - Tinordi

Beaulieu - Pateryn

If everyone pans out the way they could potentially do. Thats very very exciting.

I feel bad for Pateryn who I think is being lost in the shuffle right now. We have so many bodies on defense that Tinordi & Beaulieu are fighting for the vacent spot (which would otherwise be filled by Murray/Emelin etc) and in reality Pateryn may be the most NHL-ready of our dmen. The nice thing is that he seems patient & understands he must pay his dues. in a few years time we could realistically have a top 4 of

Subban - Tinordi

Beaulieu - Pateryn

If everyone pans out the way they could potentially do. Thats very very exciting.

Very exciting indeed. From what I've seen of him, which is unfortunately not very much, he is in a position where he's underrated because he doesn't necessarily specialize in any area. He's worse defensively than Tinordi, and worse offensively than Beaulieu, but seems pretty well rounded. Doesn't help one get noticed, but it will pay off in spades once he makes the NHL for good.

Very exciting indeed. From what I've seen of him, which is unfortunately not very much, he is in a position where he's underrated because he doesn't necessarily specialize in any area. He's worse defensively than Tinordi, and worse offensively than Beaulieu, but seems pretty well rounded. Doesn't help one get noticed, but it will pay off in spades once he makes the NHL for good.

Exactly my take too (although on the "worse than Tinordi defensively" front, I think he's actually better than him right now - but projects as worse defensively)

if everything works out, we have a true #1 (Pk) two true #2-3 guys in Tinordi/Beaulieu and a true #4 in Pateryn. Its been a long time since we've actually had defense playing to their abilities, not above it.

Exactly my take too (although on the "worse than Tinordi defensively" front, I think he's actually better than him right now - but projects as worse defensively)

if everything works out, we have a true #1 (Pk) two true #2-3 guys in Tinordi/Beaulieu and a true #4 in Pateryn. Its been a long time since we've actually had defense playing to their abilities, not above it.

One thing to remember on Pateryn is he's a couple of years older than both Tinordi and Beaulieu, That gap in age is big at the age these kids are at.

This teams' potential on defence is really ridiuclous if you think about it.

One thing to remember on Pateryn is he's a couple of years older than both Tinordi and Beaulieu, That gap in age is big at the age these kids are at.

This teams' potential on defence is really ridiuclous if you think about it.

Yup. Nygren is also a couple of years older. And often times people compare Beaulieu and Tinordi and think that just because in their opinion Tinordi is more NHL ready now, that he is a better prospect. Got to remember that they are not form the same draft class, Tinordi was drafted a year earlier. ATM Tinordi is 21 and Beaulieu is only 20. Technically, Tinordi is only a few months older because Beaulieu will turn 21 in December but still. Plus Beaulieu has a higher ceiling because he can be a two way D man but Tinordi can only be a defensive D man.

I was hoping for Nygren, but I'm excited to see how Pateryn does. Hopefully he's in the lineup tonight!

Tinordi and Beaulieu had their respective shots at winning a spot and have, IMO, frankly been a dissapointment so far. I say the Habs go immediately to Pateryn being in the line-up without further ado.

Tinordi and Beaulieu had their respective shots at winning a spot and have, IMO, frankly been a dissapointment so far. I say the Habs go immediately to Pateryn being in the line-up without further ado.

To be fair, it was the media and fan base that was anointing Beaulieu and Tinordi "ready" because of a handful of games and some decent preseason performances. Pateryn could fall short exactly the same way they have so far. It's hard to know when defenders are ready for the big leagues. I felt that Beaulieu and Tinordi would have been better served in Hamilton from the beginning, although I do love that Montreal is giving them sporadic call-ups to get experience. Pateryn is next up to bat, I guess. Let's see how he can do, but I am not expecting him to stick with the club for too long.

He did play in the Q, but it's possible when he was with his draft team (Avs), he played in the states. After the trade with the Avs in which we acquired Bourny for O'B, he was playing with the Montreal jr's with Leblanc.

I thought Bournival played in the Q then straight to the AHL? :huh:

You're right BCH, he did play in the Q, but don't know if he was playing in the Q or states-side when he was in the Avs organization.

I know he played with the MTL jr's because they played down the street from my shop and caught a few game.

Bournival never played at Michigan, I'm sure. The Habs have Pateryn and Pacioretty as Michigan alums and Mac Bennett is still there. Mark Mitera was another Wolverine in our organization a year or two ago, and I believe both Cammalleri and Komisarek went through there too. But no Bournival. Good program there, though. I find a lot of the prospects coming out of US university programs are a bit disappointing, but Michigan has been fairly decent at developing their prospects.

Archived