The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Danny Kristo traded to NYR for Christian Thomas

KeepsItReal

Danny kristo wasn't a good prospect and had attitude problems so the habs shipped him out, for a guy who is 2 years younger and 2 inches shorter. Honestly, I don't think either player will make it to the NHL but we got the better of the two.

I wouldn't say Kristo wasn't a good prospect.

So a 5'11" forward prospect that was about to begin his pro career for a 5'9" forward on an already tiny team? I'll go ahead and say Bergevin is continuing his subpar grade.

Kristo is 6'0.

I think the new guy is more talented but if we were gonna trade Kristo, it should have been for somebody bigger.

interesting move.

I think both players have some hurdles to jump. Christian Thomas is two years younger, but also has a full year of AHL hockey (with some pretty decent numbers for a 20 year old in his first year).

Tough to say who won this trade, or how it will pan out, but i dont have a real problem with it at this point.

On pure talent Kristo is a better prospect than Christian Thomas. That’s not to say Thomas is a poor prospect as he has character, offensive ability and he could be an average to above-average pro. However Kristo is arguably a top 100 drafted prospect in hockey with significant upside even if he does carry more risk than Thomas. In a one for one deal, it’s hard to make a perfectly equal trade and one team usually comes out ahead. In my opinion it was the Rangers.

Any thoughts?

Guest Regis2

Danny kristo wasn't a good prospect and had attitude problems so the habs shipped him out, for a guy who is 2 years younger and 2 inches shorter. Honestly, I don't think either player will make it to the NHL but we got the better of the two.

We always do :P

Was looking forward to seeing Kristo take a shot at making the team this year. Many scouts thought he'd be ready to go directly to the big squad this year.

The upside to Thomas is that he's a bit younger, but he's also smaller. As has been noted, it will be very difficult to jam him into a line-up that contains Gio, DD, and Gallagher already. Again, I'm disappointed that Bergevin seemed to emphasize character as one of the reasons he went after Thomas. I don't know Thomas at all, so we'll see how skilled he is, but I really hope MB didn't ditch the more talented guy in exchange for the slightly-less-talented guy with more character. Kristo came up pretty big in the Team USA games I had seen, so I think he showed fairly good on-ice determination. Yes, he had some off-ice issues two years ago, but he was a college kid being a college kid. I hope Thomas pans out, but I have a feeling we may regret trading Kristo.

Was looking forward to seeing Kristo take a shot at making the team this year. Many scouts thought he'd be ready to go directly to the big squad this year.

The upside to Thomas is that he's a bit younger, but he's also smaller. As has been noted, it will be very difficult to jam him into a line-up that contains Gio, DD, and Gallagher already. Again, I'm disappointed that Bergevin seemed to emphasize character as one of the reasons he went after Thomas. I don't know Thomas at all, so we'll see how skilled he is, but I really hope MB didn't ditch the more talented guy in exchange for the slightly-less-talented guy with more character. Kristo came up pretty big in the Team USA games I had seen, so I think he showed fairly good on-ice determination. Yes, he had some off-ice issues two years ago, but he was a college kid being a college kid. I hope Thomas pans out, but I have a feeling we may regret trading Kristo.

I doubt Gionta and Thomas ever put on a Habs jersey on the same night other than pre season this year maybe.

I hear Thomas could be a real sniper in this league, his old man was a decent NHL'er.

Got a bit younger, can't complain too much.

I doubt Gionta and Thomas ever put on a Habs jersey on the same night other than pre season this year maybe.

I hear Thomas could be a real sniper in this league, his old man was a decent NHL'er.

Got a bit younger, can't complain too much.

Probably true that Gio and Thomas don't ever play here together, but even then, the scouting report on Thomas is that he's fast and has a good shot, but isn't very good defensively and isn't very physical. It's hard to envision being able to play him with Desharnais, and it's also hard to envision having 3 top lines that feature a smallish right winger on each line. It makes it difficult to find a line to match up with the bigger opponents. I'm not averse to having small skilled players, but everything is a balance. Maybe Thomas has a place on our team, but several analyses of the trade seem to suggest we got the less skilled player but the safer character guy; once again, if that's the case, I think there's an over-emphasis on character from Bergevin. We saw this love he has for "grit and character" when he signed guys like Bouillon, Prust, and Moen. We saw it at the draft when he opted for McCarron. And we're seeing hints of that again with this trade. Sure, character is important to some degree, but the character guys you put on the team need to be able to play hockey. I'll take Prust because he gives us grit but he also gives us intensity and some degree of skill on the ice. Moen has character too, but he delivered less on the ice and is probably replaceable. I just hope MB hasn't downgraded the importance of skill in order to satisfy his desire for character. If he's gotten both in the same guy here, all the power to him. If he hasn't, he won't last long as a GM making moves like this.

I don't know enough about either prospect to form a solid opinion on this deal, so i guess i just trust management knows what they're doing. Time will tell.

Guest Regis2

Maybe Thomas has a place on our team, but several analyses of the trade seem to suggest we got the less skilled player but the safer character guy; once again, if that's the case, I think there's an over-emphasis on character from Bergevin.

Christian Thomas is a gifted goal scorer with lots of speed,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “He has been very productive offensively at the junior level with 137 goals before adding 19 more as a rookie with Connecticut in the AHL last season. This young 21-year old forward has shown tremendous character.” :rolleyes:

We always do :P

Gomez. *hides*

No idea why this trade happened TBH. Will have to see how it pans out, but on paper it doesn't look great to me.

Me neither. I got home saw Kristo thanking the Habs for support on twitter, momentarily <edit> then...kinda curious and excited what we would have gotten in return for him...then saw the trade...and um...

I think we're going to regret this. Why do we make trades with the Rangers? This never ends well for us.

I don't know enough about either prospect to form a solid opinion on this deal, so i guess i just trust management knows what they're doing. Time will tell.

On paper, we traded a guy with more skill who is almost NHL-ready for a 21-year-old who'll need years of seasoning before he's ready for the big league. Not a huge deal, but I'm still not sure what prompted this move.

On paper, we traded a guy with more skill who is almost NHL-ready for a 21-year-old who'll need years of seasoning before he's ready for the big league. Not a huge deal, but I'm still not sure what prompted this move.

Well, Kristo might be older but Thomas has an entire year of professional hockey under his belt, while Kristo has 9 games at the end of last year.

So I am a little skeptical that one is "almost NHL-ready" while the other "needs years of seasoning before he's ready for the big league".

With unestablished players, actual professional experience means just as much as a 2 year age difference.

What the Habs did get, is an extra year of ELC on Christian Thomas.

As for what prompted the move, I would imagine it has to do with character issues with Kristo over the past, and I imagine they must have seen something in his stint in Hamilton they didn't like.

Most like if it was Thomas the team drafted 3 years ago, and Kristo they traded for the general narrative in here would be one wondering why they traded a young guy with good goal scoring instincts for a guy 2 years older who had accomplished nothing more as a hockey player.

Yeah it's kind of one of those deals that might not look good on paper but i suppose we have to assume there are underlying factors involved in the decision. They (management) have more insight then we do, so i guess all we can do is question it, but really can't put forth much of an argument as to why the deal went down. As i said earlier,,,time will tell i suppose.

Yeah it's kind of one of those deals that might not look good on paper but i suppose we have to assume there are underlying factors involved in the decision. They (management) have more insight then we do, so i guess all we can do is question it, but really can't put forth much of an argument as to why the deal went down. As i said earlier,,,time will tell i suppose.

I'll give it 2 make it or break it years for Thomas.

No idea what went on behind closed doors, but the media seems to think it was Bergevin having concerns about Kristo's behavior off ice (he had gotten into some trouble at college, the frostbite incident, etc.). To me, this was a college kid at college doing college things. You didn't see the Blackhawks trade Patrick Kane when he got in trouble off ice, and he's guided them to two Cups. Bergevin's focus on attitude and character really concerns me, to be honest. I'm also concerned about what he's said in the past about going after available Quebec-born players: I'm all for it if it's a guy like Vinny who can help us, but we don't need a guy like Briere (talk about attitude issues!)...

No idea what went on behind closed doors, but the media seems to think it was Bergevin having concerns about Kristo's behavior off ice (he had gotten into some trouble at college, the frostbite incident, etc.). To me, this was a college kid at college doing college things. You didn't see the Blackhawks trade Patrick Kane when he got in trouble off ice, and he's guided them to two Cups. Bergevin's focus on attitude and character really concerns me, to be honest. I'm also concerned about what he's said in the past about going after available Quebec-born players: I'm all for it if it's a guy like Vinny who can help us, but we don't need a guy like Briere (talk about attitude issues!)...

Really not sure what to make of this trade. By all accounts, Kristo seemed ready to challenge for a spot this year. Now we have another talented yet even smaller forward who's not likely to be part of the NHL team this year, unless the plan is to talk about size and character in public all the time and then go with Gionta, Gallagher, Desharnais, Plekanec and Thomas as top 9 forwards.

I'm not so much against trading Kristo, I just don't quite get the reasoning behind trading him for a type of player we already have an abundance of. And if we're really going after Briere now... ugh.

Really not sure what to make of this trade. By all accounts, Kristo seemed ready to challenge for a spot this year. Now we have another talented yet even smaller forward who's not likely to be part of the NHL team this year, unless the plan is to talk about size and character in public all the time and then go with Gionta, Gallagher, Desharnais, Plekanec and Thomas as top 9 forwards.

I'm not so much against trading Kristo, I just don't quite get the reasoning behind trading him for a type of player we already have an abundance of. And if we're really going after Briere now... ugh.

If Briere ever does come here. It would be like swallowing horrible tasting medicine. I know I don't like him, but I do see him improving our team.

It's not like Kristo is big, he's a smaller forward...and he has 9 games of professional experience so its' not like he's a lock to be part of the NHL team this year either.

Dunno why people are so down on Thomas either, he showed a real scoring touch in the OHL and he had a respectable rookie AHL season as well.

Archived