The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-2014 Mark My Words

BigTed3

MARK MY WORDS... this is the thread where posters will come to make their predictions for the season.

MARK MY WORDS... some will predict success, others will predict slumps, injuries, or trades.

* Where will the Habs finish in their new division?

* Which Habs finishes first on the team in scoring?

* Which Hab makes the biggest strides this season? Who regresses the most?

* Will Carey rebound? Or will he be giving up rebounds?

* Will Therrien and Bergevin have success chasing the Cup or will they be chased out of town?

So mark your words and tell us what will happen this season by saying "MARK MY WORDS..."

Mark my words... This time next year people will be praising MB for the "little" moves he made, as we go deeper in next year's post season than we have in many many seasons.

As in deeper than 09-10 when we went to the East finals? Interesting.

Mark my words... this team is actually on the right path going forward and there's reason to be optimistic about the future but unless Carey has a big year there will be some regression next year. I predict us anywhere from 6-8 in the East.

As in deeper than 09-10 when we went to the East finals? Interesting.

Mark my words... this team is actually on the right path going forward and there's reason to be optimistic about the future but unless Carey has a big year there will be some regression next year. I predict us anywhere from 6-8 in the East.

I think we might actually. I agree with you that its unlikely we finish 2nd in the conference but 4-5 is not unreasonable. I think that if Carey gets his game back & we have just one of our young defensmen blossom into (or MB acquires a) true top 4 then there's a legitimate change we make it to the final four. Winning more than 1 game in that round would essentially be "going deeper" so thats where im getting that thought from. Im not sure we have what it takes to go to the finals, or win it just yet, but I like what im seeing & if Galchenyuk has the breakout year that i think he may very well have... this could be a very good season.

Just a reminder that we're now in an 8-team division not a 15-team conference, so we'll have to do better than just top 8 among old Eastern conference teams... it'll take a top 4 finish in the new Northeast Division. I believe we can do that.

Just a reminder that we're now in an 8-team division not a 15-team conference, so we'll have to do better than just top 8 among old Eastern conference teams... it'll take a top 4 finish in the new Northeast Division. I believe we can do that.

Well from what I understand it's top 3 from each division and then 2 wildcards with the best records in the conference. So if we're just talking about making the playoffs as a minimum then not much has changed, except that the division has grown from 15 to 16. There are some weird scenarios where it wouldn't strictly be the top eight teams (i.e. if Div. C has six teams all better than the 3rd place team from Div. D) but for all intents and purposes we're in the same boat as we were before.

Having said that, though, I don't disagree with you: I believe we can do that :)

MMW: Magnus Nygren (who most of us aren't talking about) earns a permanent spot in the lineup by year end.

Ya, the only way he won't make it IMO will be if he gets outplayed by one or two of Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, and Dietz, which I don't think will happen. Maybe one, but I doubt two. Dietz is another guy not much people are talking about, I'm pretty sure he led the CHL in goals by defensemen.

Ya, Dietz had a huge year. We're really in a nice place in terms of defensive prospects. It's why I don't feel quite as much urgency as some to acquire pieces for our blueline, even though it might involve a bit of short-term pain.

Toitally agree BCH, with a Norris trophy guy in the fold already and likely to be making 7+ long term, the last thing this team should do is trade for an established guy alreadymaking big money, who might not be better than some of our young guys in 2-3 years.

Best part is, with them young and cheap ther ewill be room when theyhave established themselves to bring in some guys to help the cause.

*Louis Leblanc comes back healthy dominates the AHL this year and will solidify himself a spot on the habs.

*Trading Mike Cammalleri and Karri Ramo for Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland and 2nd round Pick in 2013 (#36 Zach Fucale) will be looked upon a great steal for the habs.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark my words, Alex Galchenyuk will lead the team in scoring this season and will be on the first line by November.

If given the proper linemates, ice time and assignments, this could very well happen. He's easily our most talented forward & when you look at his end to the season - 12 pts in 13 games (and we're not talking 5 points here or 3 points there, it was nearly 1 point each and every game)...he's starting to adjust. Look out.

If given the proper linemates, ice time and assignments, this could very well happen. He's easily our most talented forward & when you look at his end to the season - 12 pts in 13 games (and we're not talking 5 points here or 3 points there, it was nearly 1 point each and every game)...he's starting to adjust. Look out.

Something clicked for him at the midway point of the lockout shortened season. Again, I'm a little sad his first rookie season was a short one.

He can pick up where he left off last season.

Apart from a questionable top 6 (how to displace size evenly between our 2 top lines), I'm pretty excited for the new season.

I'm expecting Gally-A to show us more of his talent, now that he has a taste of what the NHL is and the skill of his competitors. When he joined last season, he had had played 1/2 the season in the OHL. Have a feeling we're going to see flashes of his potential, not a break out season, but similar to how PK eveloved before his break out Norris winning season.

Both PK and Gally-A are highly skilled players, these are players who can break out midway through a season and never look back.

MMW, Gally-A will entertain us and bring us to the edge our seats, showing us flashes of our future star centre. Some early, 1st round draft picks have been busts, but not getting that from Gally-A. If anything, i can see him surpassing his expected potential.

Considering he played 97 games last year and his previous most was 68, how he finished was even more impressive. I think with a few months of rest and a bit more confidence at the NHL level he is going to be much improved this year.

Archived