The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-2014 Positive Thread

On a positive note, I am glad we didn't sign Clarkson to that ridiculously long and expensive contract. Did Charles Wang buy the team? I am sure after year 2 of this contract many in Leaf Land will be aching for a compliance buyout. Maybe I am wrong, but we will see soon enough!!

I'm a positive person so I'm going to add to the positive thread. :D

I, for one, and very pleased with what MB has been doing with this team. Many may be concerned/upset/frustrated or whatever in the lack of signing of UFAs and/or signing of the "wrong" players (Briere) but I think that that's missing the long term vision of what MB is trying to do. As he stated, he's trying to build a team that will be strong in the future, year in and year out, via the draft. Does that mean he's not going to try to put a contending team on the ice now? Absolutely not. BUT I believe he's building the best team he can in the short term, without jeopardizing the long term future of the organization. For example, I'm sure it goes without saying that we all wish Gainey hadn't have traded away McDonagh to try for the quick fix in Gomez. Guys like Briere won't be around when this team is truly in a position to contend for the cup. I'm tired of mediocracy and am willing to be patient if it means having a solid, competitive team every year.

Peace

I, for one, and very pleased with what MB has been doing with this team. Many may be concerned/upset/frustrated or whatever in the lack of signing of UFAs and/or signing of the "wrong" players (Briere) but I think that that's missing the long term vision of what MB is trying to do. As he stated, he's trying to build a team that will be strong in the future, year in and year out, via the draft. Does that mean he's not going to try to put a contending team on the ice now? Absolutely not. BUT I believe he's building the best team he can in the short term, without jeopardizing the long term future of the organization. For example, I'm sure it goes without saying that we all wish Gainey hadn't have traded away McDonagh to try for the quick fix in Gomez. Guys like Briere won't be around when this team is truly in a position to contend for the cup. I'm tired of mediocracy and am willing to be patient if it means having a solid, competitive team every year.

Peace

As long as MB is looking at the big picture (long term) , and is not looking at a quick-fix (which, IMO, he isn't), then I'm all for it. I absolutely agree with what he is trying to do. No doubt he will make some missteps along the way, but the end result is what matters.

BTW MWM, Please come and introduce yourself here:

http://fans.canadiens.nhl.com/community/topic/10924-habs-fans-introduce-yourselves/

As long as MB is looking at the big picture (long term) , and is not looking at a quick-fix (which, IMO, he isn't), then I'm all for it. I absolutely agree with what he is trying to do. No doubt he will make some missteps along the way, but the end result is what matters.

BTW MWM, Please come and introduce yourself here:

http://fans.canadiens.nhl.com/community/topic/10924-habs-fans-introduce-yourselves/

As I said in another thread ... I think the moves MB makes and will make will be about the overall culture of the club (from farm team to upper management) more than quick fixes and/or best player. (ie the Kristo/Thomas trade).

• 1 month later...

Peace

I was excited with the hiring of Marc Bergevin, so I agree with what you have said. He is building the future and not being satisfied with quick fixes. I was asked why would they hire Marc Bergevin? It goes back to:

Marc Bergevin perfect fit as Canadiens GM

The refurbishing of the Canadiens’ storied franchise got a big boost with the hiring of Marc Bergevin as the 17th GM in Montreal history. In short, Bergevin is someone who understood the value of keeping things light Bergevin’s hiring makes sense. No, he doesn’t have any GM experience on which to draw, but the reason he beat out other candidates for the job (including broadcaster Pierre McGuire and Lightning assistant GM Julien Brisebois) was because he has established himself as a hard-working management member, someone who has toiled in many capacities (including assistant coach and scout) – and most importantly, a Francophone who understands the nuances of playing in arguably hockey’s biggest fishbowl.

What he didn't know, he hired people around him, who did know. I believe, that each year there will be some improvement.

Marc Bergevin was our best option. IMO

Although I am indifferent to the signings, made this off season,I am still excited for next season.Can't wait to see our guys back on the ice,the regular season can't be much better than last year,coming second in our conference,and the playoffs will be better,co's we will be better prepared after an 82 game season.

Price is going to be steller,our young guns will be trying to prove, that last season wasn't a fluke,PK wants another Norris.All our players who want to play for their respective countries in Soshi have something to prove,so the start of the season will be great.

Have nothing to worry about here,just waiting in anticipation,for the season to start.

GO HABS GO

• Members
  • 3,187 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:38 AM

Although I am indifferent to the signings, made this off season,I am still excited for next season.Can't wait to see our guys back on the ice,the regular season can't be much better than last year,coming second in our conference,and the playoffs will be better,co's we will be better prepared after an 82 game season.
Price is going to be steller,our young guns will be trying to prove, that last season wasn't a fluke,PK wants another Norris.All our players who want to play for their respective countries in Soshi have something to prove,so the start of the season will be great.
Have nothing to worry about here,just waiting in anticipation,for the season to start.
GO HABS GO
Agreed, plus a training camp and preseason games :)

Stirring the pot, Greatest Strength: Mobile and young defense, IMO:

The Montreal Canadiens were better than most thought they would be in 2013. While it will be difficult to duplicate this success in 2013-14, the Habs will enter the season with a fast skating and relatively young defense. Led by Norris Trophy winner P.K. Subban, the Canadiens have some talented and mobile young defensemen to help starter Carey Price in net. Key Contributors to Strength: P.K. Subban, Josh Gorges, Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin and Jarred Tinordi Subban has developed into one of the best defensemen in the NHL. He is a threat to score on most shifts, and his defensive play has improved dramatically over the last two seasons. Markov is another leader on the point, and he offers versatility and a very good all-around game. Emelin is not only mobile, but is also a great hitter. He was very effective in Montreal last year, and the team really missed him after he was injured. Tinordi offers great size and good skating ability. This is one of the better defensive groups in the NHL. I see another Positive Step this coming season.

Good article habby.

I'm glad they talked about Emelin, who imo doesn't get enough credit. He was shooting more last season, even scored a few goals, one beautiful tape to tape saucer pass from Pleks that Emelin buried. His passing is actually pretty decent and as aforementioned, MT has asked him to shoot more, which he did this past season.

After Emelin went down last season i did a bit of research... mostly his pro career before making the jump to NA.

I wouldn't be too concerned about him playing on his off wing, seems he has played a lot of his career on the off wing and is comfortable there. Good news for habs, since it's often hard to find a left handed dman capable of playing the off wing. If the injury doesn't affect him mentally, i think we'll see a new Emelin this season, he was coming out of his shell last season(getting in on scoring, passing, defending, etc...), so I expect him to be an important fixture on our blueline this season.

Our blueline isn't perfect, but feel better about it this season compared to last.

Be a help to the habs and Diaz if he can stay healthy this season. With Emelin out for the start of the season, we can't really afford any injuries early.

If he can stay healthy, i feel Diaz will be among the top 3 in points (for dmen).

Despite a very competitve Atlantic division, I feel our habs will be a competitive team and in the top 4 (Atlantic division).

I wouldn't be too concerned about him playing on his off wing, seems he has played a lot of his career on the off wing and is comfortable there. Good news for habs, since it's often hard to find a left handed dman capable of playing the off wing.

I was not aware of this, I guess I don't know it all, as an old codger, lol.

Despite a very competitve Atlantic division, I feel our habs will be a competitive team and in the top 4 (Atlantic division).

This was my ball park figure, also.

Whatever happens this coming season, this old codger will be jumping out of his recliner, fist pumping and cheering, and waking up the rest of the senior citizens, in our senior complex, LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

5 Bold Predictions for Montreal Canadiens' 2013-14 Season

I thought one of them would actually Canadiens win the Stanley Cup.

I had that foggy dream, each year it gets clearer :wub: B)

Last season, for the most part, was seen as a failure in the Canadiens' dressing room.

"You have to be happy with the steps we made, we did some good things," captain Brian Gionta said. "You finish first in your division, you finish second in the conference, those are big accomplishments that make a difference. But at the end of the day, it's what you do in the playoffs. I think it was a learning experience for some of our guys, and this year we can build off that."

Much of that building will come from the continuity and familiarity coach Michel Therrien benefited from in training camp -- the polar opposite of what he had during a shortened camp in January when he had to introduce a new system while experimenting with line combinations as he learned the strengths and weaknesses of his players.

This time, right from the start Therrien used the forward lines and defense pairings he plans to start the season with, and those combinations have had two weeks to build on chemistry that was already established last season in most cases.

just think of or defence once emelin gets back subban markov tinordi emelin gorges then depending on who we play we can rotate murrey diaz or bring up one of the great kids we have waiting in the ring. it looks really good for us in the future! now at forward we have some chalenges but it is getting there. next year we should have some room up front,i don't think gio will be back and who knows what might come our way with some trades. in net i felt price was fairly solid last night it was a high emotion game with everything that happened i felt he was good. this year was always going to be a tough one, we may do well but i think next year will be the big one!

Archived