The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-2014 Negative Thread

Meh. I'm pretty anti goons as a concept and I'm not really positive about Parros but it's inconsequential. We gave up a 7th and probably the worst player in our organization for him, and his cap hit isn't a problem. He'll get his time against the Leafs and Bruins and the fans will get to watch him and Orr punch each other and then we'll be back to normal.

I'm new here but I'm a die hard habs fan. It's been in my blood since I was 6 in 1986. I finally think ( for the first time since 93 ) that we have a contender. It's all up to price from here on out. I think eller and moen have to go ( just my opinion ) sorry Eller lovers. Lol the future is looking bright. My negative part here is Eller :(

I'm new here but I'm a die hard habs fan. It's been in my blood since I was 6 in 1986. I finally think ( for the first time since 93 ) that we have a contender. It's all up to price from here on out. I think eller and moen have to go ( just my opinion ) sorry Eller lovers. Lol the future is looking bright. My negative part here is Eller :(

Welcome to the forum!

Any questions you may have can be answered in our "questions, comments & concerns" thread, for the forum rules we have the COc (code of conduct) which is found on the main page.

If you don't find what you're looking for there, a mod or any of our veteran members will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

FirstStar

As for a cup contender, i don't think we're quite there yet, but feel we're the closest we've been in some time. Exciting times for hab fans, have a good mix of young and veteran players and some exciting prospects working up the ranks in our system. Definitely a happy time for any hab fan.

We have one of the leagues top young tenders, now a norris winning dman in PK, 2 young exciting rookies in the 2 gally's entering their sophomore season, an owner who wants to bring back the glory days (has a lot to prove, doesn't want to be a bust when Molson and habs have usually equaled a winning combo), a GM with some fresh ideas who isn't afraid to share with the media and fans... yup, there's reason to be happy.

Getting a no skilled player in Parros who one member has described as being another Georges Laraque. Maybe a tough player with some hockey skills just wasn't available.

I remember people complaining about the acquisition of prust when we signed him. Prust nded up being MB's best 1st year signing, even with injury earned every penny and he has no real hockey skills.

Why not let Parros play before saying he has no hockey skills?

Personally I'm pretty sick of seeing our habs pushed around by divisional rivals. That even includes the sens who aren't close to the leafs or bruins.

To use Nilan's words, we finally have a guy who can come in and say, "daaddy's home, settle down boys...".

I remember people complaining about the acquisition of prust when we signed him. Prust nded up being MB's best 1st year signing, even with injury earned every penny and he has no real hockey skills.

Why not let Parros play before saying he has no hockey skills?

Personally I'm pretty sick of seeing our habs pushed around by divisional rivals. That even includes the sens who aren't close to the leafs or bruins.

To use Nilan's words, we finally have a guy who can come in and say, "daaddy's home, settle down boys...".

Prust was a 3rd round draft choice ... Parros 8th round. Compared to Parros, Prust is Mario Lemiuex to be honest ... but, I like the Parros trade regardless gives us a heavy weight (Parros) and a middle weight with defensive savvy (Prust).

Prust was a 3rd round draft choice ... Parros 8th round. Compared to Parros, Prust is Mario Lemiuex to be honest ... but, I like the Parros trade regardless gives us a heavy weight (Parros) and a middle weight with defensive savvy (Prust).

Lol, not that I think Parros is a great hockey player but using the draft spot ends your argument right from the get go.

Gallagher was a 5th round pick

Louis Leblanc was a 1st round pick

I'd rather have Gallagher...am I a moron?

Lol, not that I think Parros is a great hockey player but using the draft spot ends your argument right from the get go.

Gallagher was a 5th round pick

Louis Leblanc was a 1st round pick

I'd rather have Gallagher...am I a moron?

No my point more as ineligently as I put it, is that Prust has hockey skill ... defensively at least, and somewhat offensively. He was NY's best penalty killer and does a good job for us as well. Parros however is completetly one dimensional. "Ugh, you hurt my teammate ... now you face wrath of stash!"

I think Gallagher went that low for one main reason ... he's a gnat

No my point more as ineligently as I put it, is that Prust has hockey skill ... defensively at least, and somewhat offensively. He was NY's best penalty killer and does a good job for us as well. Parros however is completetly one dimensional. "Ugh, you hurt my teammate ... now you face wrath of stash!"

I think Gallagher went that low for one main reason ... he's a gnat

Hockey is riddled with guys going way lower than it looks logically after the fact.

Parros has a role in the NHL, and I bet he's a great teammate.

If Parros plays hard on the forecheck, doesn't take dumb, needless penalties and stands up for his teammates I'd say he'll be worth using a roster spot at forward on some nights this year.

Hockey is riddled with guys going way lower than it looks logically after the fact.

If Parros plays hard on the forecheck, doesn't take dumb, needless penalties and stands up for his teammates I'd say he'll be worth using a roster spot at forward on some nights this year.

Definately, especially if he doesn't pull a BGL and politely asks people to dance

Definately, especially if he doesn't pull a BGL and politely asks people to dance

Lol, with his total lack of self awareness and complete lack of understanding why people would think his remarks made him look absolutely foolish I see no reason why Georges Laraque can't have a long successful career in politics.

I loved Parros' response on twitter too. Don't give those idiots the time of day.

That seems to be the consensus with parros. usually enforcers like Parros have a very good relationship with teammates, he's there to watch their backs and the skilled forwards really appreciate the sacrifices these enforcers go through to help the team.

That seems to be the consensus with parros. usually enforcers like Parros have a very good relationship with teammates, he's there to watch their backs and the skilled forwards really appreciate the sacrifices these enforcers go through to help the team.

Well it's pretty hard to stick around as a player who plays 3-6 minutes a night and has a bad attitude.

Well it's pretty hard to stick around as a player who plays 3-6 minutes a night and has a bad attitude.

I dunno ... at 6 mins a game, 82 games on lets say a $750,000 contract ... you're making just over $1400/minute ... seems like pretty good incentive to stay cheery :P

• 1 month later...

Last year the Canadiens had a great powerplay, but the only negativity, for me, IMO, was how the canadiens played shorthanded. For a team who previously was near the top of the league, on PK. To all of sudden being 23rd. With the players, they have now and going into a full season, this should improve as the season progress's. Go Habs.

• 4 weeks later...

Also since this is the negative thread.. just saw that Markov was tied for 2nd in the NHL in giveaways last season. Behind Phaneuf. :blink:

You sure know how to depress a hab fan, lol :wacko:

Negativity:

The Habs are not a physical team. With Dumont as their 14th forward, six of the team’s 14 forwards are below six feet tall (I would actually say seven, as Prust once said he is 5’11”, but for some reason he is listed at a generous 6’2”), and eight of them weigh less than 200 pounds as of now, with five of them playing on the first three lines. I would like to see Marc Bergevin trade maybe a small body or two and replace them with bigger bodies. Another weakness is the lack of true power forwards. As of right now, only Bourque seems like the closest to match that definition. Some say that Pacioretty is a true power forward, but I think he’s more of a big bodied sniper rather than a power forward, as he causes more damage from the face-off circles and high slot with his lethal wrist-shot in my opinion. Power forwards, for me, are players who are strong in the corners and thrive in front of the net with their big bodies. The Habs don’t really have a player like this and I think they need one. The last weakness I will point out about the team’s forward group is the lack of a top-line right winger. I have nothing against Brian Gionta, as he is a fantastic leader and has the heart of a lion, but he’s not a first line player anymore. He’s more of a 2nd/3rd line forward now. Gallagher looks to be his successor, but he’s not ready to see first line minutes yet. Gionta has been slowed down by injuries and isn’t the scoring threat he used to be. As much as the Habs’ defence is well balanced, it still lacks nastiness and isn’t as strong as it should be. Yes, Montreal has the latest Norris trophy winner, but after him there is a significant drop in talent. Markov has obviously lost more than a step in his game, Gorges is a second pairing defenseman playing top pairing minutes, and Emelin is injured and still hasn’t established himself as a top-four defender. Bergevin signed Douglas Murray, a huge physical rearguard, but he is a depth defenseman with slow feet. Montreal would have needed a mobile two-way defender to play along Markov. As much as Markov still has elite on-ice vision and puck skills, he is now a below-average skater and can’t play over 22 minutes a game anymore. As for the lack of nastiness I mentioned, except Douglas Murray, none of the Habs’ defensemen are 6’2” or more and below 220 lbs. Only Emelin and Murray are real physical threats, and one of them is injured till Christmas. Tinordi will come in to help in that department, but that will likely come with Murray’s departure. Bergevin will need to bring in at least another physical presence on his blue line. The Montreal Canadiens are obviously a team that will make the playoffs, but they lack the physicality and defensive corpse I believe is required for the Stanley Cup. They will get better as the team’s top young players improve, and with a few tweaks, will be big contenders for Lord Stanley’s hardware. As of right now however, I don’t think they have what it takes to win it all, but they are getting there.

TORONTO - High taxes put teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens at a disadvantage when it comes to signing NHL free agents, a taxpayers’ group says.

An analysis prepared by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) found the three teams are located in the least financially attractive cities in the league.

But the story is far different for fellow Canadian teams in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

The CTF looked into how much tax the top 30 NHL free agents would pay with various clubs.

“The numbers don’t lie; NHL players take a financial hit to play in Ontario, Quebec, California, New York and New Jersey,” said CTF analyst Nick Bergamini, the paper’s author and a former Junior A goalie.

“These teams are all at a major disadvantage because of punitive provincial income tax rates.”

According to the paper, star goalie Mike Smith would pay an extra $2.8 million in taxes over his six-year, $34-million contract with the Phoenix Coyotes if he had inked a deal with Montreal. He would have had to cough up an extra $2.6 million if he signed with the Leafs or Ottawa and $1.6 million if he signed with Winnipeg.

The CTF says rates can be about 10% lower for professional athletes in British Columbia or Alberta.

Areas like California and New York have comparable tax rates to Ontario, although the Ontario legislature passed a bill last year that introduced a 2% tax increase on the taxable income of individuals earning more than $500,000.

The Leafs did still manage to reel in David Clarkson — considered the best free agent forward on the market — and Clarkson has admitted he turned down far more money from another team, widely believed to be the Edmonton Oilers.

Archived