The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-14 Michel Therrien and staff

• 1 month later...
Therrien 2.0

“Effective strategic and tactical preparation is premised on making realistic assessments of a team’s talent, In enumerating his assets, at that time Therrien listed the Canadiens No. 1 line of David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty and Erik Cole, goaltender Carey Price, emerging stud defenceman P.K. Subban, and the centre who deserves better wingers than he had last season, Tomas Plekanec. You don’t need a doctorate in sociology or Therrien’s bus miles in the Q and the AHL to realize that the aforementioned players are the Canadiens’ best. notably Plekanec’s point total exceeding those of every second-line centre of the final four playoff teams, except Patrik Elias of New Jersey, and Subban’s plus-9 being better than any other defenceman on a non-playoff team.

Fast Forward ahead, P.K. Subban. wins the Norris Trophy and receives an invitation to Team Canada’s orientation. Max Pacioretty wins Bill Masterson Trophy. Eric Cole gone. Carey Price after a “IMO” good last season , nowgetting help from Stephan Waite. New Acquisitions to solidify lines, which brings us to David Desharnais. Dating back to their days with the Hamilton Bulldogs, Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais have had an unbreakable bond and chemistry, to the point of the former calling his centerman “the best player” he’s ever played with. He’s had to work his way on to every team, he had to work his way to being the best player on every team and he’s done it at every level. He’s done what it takes and no one in the sport deserves a contract like that than him. While Habs fans may disagree on Pacioretty’s assessment of Desharnais’ worth to the team as a whole, no one can deny his overall playmaking ability. I think a coach’s assessment is a knowledgable one. Thus Therrien 2.0.

Therrien 2.0
“Effective strategic and tactical preparation is premised on making realistic assessments of a team’s talent, In enumerating his assets, at that time Therrien listed the Canadiens No. 1 line of David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty and Erik Cole, goaltender Carey Price, emerging stud defenceman P.K. Subban, and the centre who deserves better wingers than he had last season, Tomas Plekanec. You don’t need a doctorate in sociology or Therrien’s bus miles in the Q and the AHL to realize that the aforementioned players are the Canadiens’ best. notably Plekanec’s point total exceeding those of every second-line centre of the final four playoff teams, except Patrik Elias of New Jersey, and Subban’s plus-9 being better than any other defenceman on a non-playoff team.
Fast Forward ahead, P.K. Subban. wins the Norris Trophy and receives an invitation to Team Canada’s orientation. Max Pacioretty wins Bill Masterson Trophy. Eric Cole gone. Carey Price after a “IMO” good last season , nowgetting help from Stephan Waite. New Acquisitions to solidify lines, which brings us to David Desharnais. Dating back to their days with the Hamilton Bulldogs, Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais have had an unbreakable bond and chemistry, to the point of the former calling his centerman “the best player” he’s ever played with. He’s had to work his way on to every team, he had to work his way to being the best player on every team and he’s done it at every level. He’s done what it takes and no one in the sport deserves a contract like that than him. While Habs fans may disagree on Pacioretty’s assessment of Desharnais’ worth to the team as a whole, no one can deny his overall playmaking ability. I think a coach’s assessment is a knowledgable one. Thus Therrien 2.0.

I don't know how valuable a teammate's assessment is, to be honest. In the media, guys will back up their teammates and emphasize their strong points and they're not likely to bash their teammates no matter how much they dislike them, for fear of coming off as the bad guy themselves. So while I believe Therrien and Pacioretty both like Desharnais and believe in his skill, I believe Pacman saying DD was the best center he had played with had more to do with the following:

1. Pacman had very little pro experience at the time and while he had played with a couple of decent centers on the Habs, none of them were really star players to begin with.

2. At the time, Pacman had only played with DD in the AHL. The skill level there is a huge drop-off from the NHL, so to say DD impressed him more than other centers was doing so assessing DD's ability to play AHL-level hockey.

3. Pacman has been paired with DD more than he has with any other center. So there's something to be said for chemistry as well. Does it really mean DD is the best center ever or that Pacman has had the chance to establish better chemistry with him than other centers? I'd guess the latter.

All that to say that while DD's story is impressive and that Pacman was right in saying DD should have had a shot at playing on the NHL roster, the evaluation was also exaggerated to a degree. In Therrien's case, he walked into a situation where DD's line had had much more success offensively than any other line on the team the year before, so it's normal to laud him for that, but that statement doesn't take into account that the other lines were decimated by injuries, frequent juggling, tougher opposition, and more unfavorable zone starts. It doesn't take a genius to announce to the media who had the best year LAST season... what I want from a coach or GM is to know who they think will have the best season or be the most improved player in the UPCOMING season. Do that, and you'll have success. Therrien was wrong if he was predicting DD and Cole would be among his strong elements. In truth, DD wasn't even one of the two best centers on the team last year and that despite getting favorable PP time, zone starts, and linemates from the coach. I fully agree that DD has NHL-level skill and that he's a great playmaker. But if Therrien manages his assets correctly, DD probably shouldn't be in the top 6 to start the season. I'd be much more impressed with MT if he rewards the likes of Eller and the Gally's and makes DD work his way back up the line-up instead of handing him ice time on a silver platter.

I don't know how valuable a teammate's assessment is, to be honest. In the media, guys will back up their teammates and emphasize their strong points and they're not likely to bash their teammates no matter how much they dislike them, for fear of coming off as the bad guy themselves. So while I believe Therrien and Pacioretty both like Desharnais and believe in his skill, I believe Pacman saying DD was the best center he had played with had more to do with the following:

1. Pacman had very little pro experience at the time and while he had played with a couple of decent centers on the Habs, none of them were really star players to begin with.

2. At the time, Pacman had only played with DD in the AHL. The skill level there is a huge drop-off from the NHL, so to say DD impressed him more than other centers was doing so assessing DD's ability to play AHL-level hockey.

3. Pacman has been paired with DD more than he has with any other center. So there's something to be said for chemistry as well. Does it really mean DD is the best center ever or that Pacman has had the chance to establish better chemistry with him than other centers? I'd guess the latter.

All that to say that while DD's story is impressive and that Pacman was right in saying DD should have had a shot at playing on the NHL roster, the evaluation was also exaggerated to a degree. In Therrien's case, he walked into a situation where DD's line had had much more success offensively than any other line on the team the year before, so it's normal to laud him for that, but that statement doesn't take into account that the other lines were decimated by injuries, frequent juggling, tougher opposition, and more unfavorable zone starts. It doesn't take a genius to announce to the media who had the best year LAST season... what I want from a coach or GM is to know who they think will have the best season or be the most improved player in the UPCOMING season. Do that, and you'll have success. Therrien was wrong if he was predicting DD and Cole would be among his strong elements. In truth, DD wasn't even one of the two best centers on the team last year and that despite getting favorable PP time, zone starts, and linemates from the coach. I fully agree that DD has NHL-level skill and that he's a great playmaker. But if Therrien manages his assets correctly, DD probably shouldn't be in the top 6 to start the season. I'd be much more impressed with MT if he rewards the likes of Eller and the Gally's and makes DD work his way back up the line-up instead of handing him ice time on a silver platter.

i agree that MT should reward Eller and Gally-A.

As for Patches and DD, i think there was an obvious friendship between the 2 in Hamilton. Knowing all the hard work DD has put up through his career, Patches may have exaggerated to give DD a good shot at making the habs.

There is no better and smarter way, to start on a new team, than to show some confidence and praise the team, that is paying your wages. The wily old fox promoted via press compliments that were expected for such a prestigious organization., who's history is second to none.

Evaluation of the coaching staff of CH

Michel Therrien

Position: Head Coach

Michel Therrien is a great coach, he's good with young people and we needed a coach who was good with young people.

This year, as you know, he led the CH the 15th position to the second position.

He completed a 29-14-5 record (Wins-Losses-Losses Extension).

The perfect coach for a young and talented team.

Qualities: Attack, Youth Advantage Digital

Defects: No patient with his guards, defense Shorthanded (No weaknesses in defense and DN, but it is still common)

Attack: 8 out of 10

Defence: 6.5 out of 10

Young: 8.5 out of 10

AN: 8.5 out of 10

DN: 7 out of 10

Goalkeepers: 6.5 out of 10

* Motivation: 8 out of 10

General (average): 7.5 out of 10

General (my opinion) 8 out of 10

Gerard Gallant

Position: Assistant Coach (Digital Advantage, Attack)

Former head coach of the Sea Dogs of Saint John in the QMJHL , he already knows Nathan Beaulieu, it was his coach when he played junior.

I would say it is a very good assistant coach, however I do not see it becoming coach.

It is good with young, he coached junior.

He does not speak French, despite its name to French pronunciation ...

Attack: 8 out of 10

Young: 7.5 out of 10

AN: 8 out of 10

Jodoin

Position: Assistant Coach

Former coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs, the AHL CH Clément Jodoin is a good assistant coach, which I think may one day aspire to become a head coach in the NHL .

Jodoin has twice received the Ron Lapointe Trophy , given to the coach of the year in the QMJHL .

was also an assistant coach for the Nordiques.

Jodoin has a good CV, which is why I think it is a good assistant coach and he COULD become head coach in the NHL .

Attack: 6.5 out of 10

Defence: 7.5 out of 10

Young: 7.5 out of 10

Jean-Jacques Daigneault

Position: Assistant Coach (Defense Shorthanded)

Former hockey player in the NHL , he played for the Montreal Canadiens, the Wild, the Mighty Ducks, Canucks, Flyers, Blues, Penguins, Islanders, Coyotes and Predators.

Anyway, it s' not bad ... walked

He played nearly 900 games in the NHL , a match plate 900.

He also has 250 career points in the NHL .

He was drafted 10th overall in 1984 by the Canucks Vancouver.

He was an assistant coach in the ECHL and AHL , not uch experience ...

The fact still remains unless it is a good assistant coach, especially defensively.

Defence: 7 out of 10

DN: 6.5 out of 10

Youth: 7 out of 10

I look at it, and I think that's not so bad side of coaches ...

A different perspective.

• 3 weeks later...

Though it was only day one of training camp, Michel Therrien apparently revealed his vision of this year's defense corp...

Gorges-Subban; Markov-Diaz; Bouillon-Murray... could be the Habs starting top six.

I get it... but too bad it seems the Habs will once again opt for aging vets over youth.

Though it was only day one of training camp, Michel Therrien apparently revealed his vision of this year's defense corp...

Gorges-Subban; Markov-Diaz; Bouillon-Murray... could be the Habs starting top six.

I get it... but too bad it seems the Habs will once again opt for aging vets over youth.

Is it bad that I'm actually hoping for injuries? Knock on wood taht its not PK, Markov or even Gorges, but the young guys need to be given a chance.

Hey, there’s no question that Adam Oates is a quality coach. And like most coaches that get overrated quickly, you can point to things that he did for the Washington Capitals – shifting Ovechkin to the right side, juicing the power-play effectiveness – and say, yes, Adam Oates is a coach that coaches.

But it’s been one 48-game season, which is hardly enough reason to rank him ahead of Michel Therrien and Lindy Ruff and Peter Laviolette and John Tortorella and Randy Carlyle. If you have one game to win, do you turn the keys over to any of those five or to Adam Oates?

Hey, there’s no question that Adam Oates is a quality coach. And like most coaches that get overrated quickly, you can point to things that he did for the Washington Capitals – shifting Ovechkin to the right side, juicing the power-play effectiveness – and say, yes, Adam Oates is a coach that coaches.

But it’s been one 48-game season, which is hardly enough reason to rank him ahead of Michel Therrien and Lindy Ruff and Peter Laviolette and John Tortorella and Randy Carlyle. If you have one game to win, do you turn the keys over to any of those five or to Adam Oates?

By the same token, a 48 game season is hardly enough to say Therrien is better than Oates. He has more experience, but Therrien hasn't been the most successful coach at the NHL level to say the least. Not bad, but not great.

That said, if I have one game, I give the keys to Babcock.

I can't wait to see who of Prust, Moen, White and Parros remain permanent fixtures in the line-up. At this point Parros is still day-to-day apparently. Bournival has impressed wherever he has played either at center or wing, but will likely be heading back to the Minors waiting for a call-up. Ryan White can play center or wing and shoots right, which may help his chances a bit. Moen has not really impressed but still provides defensive abilities that remain useful. Injuries could be the determining factor when all is said and done.

Prust is permanent, IMO.

Agreed. For me, the odd man out is white. Parros might not play all 82 games, but against teams in our division he'll definitely be playing, the wings being the exception. They're a skillful team, so playing them with a bunch of bruisers in the line up will work against us imo.

MT will be hoping prust can bring what he brought last season, but as i mentioned in another thread, keeping him solely on the 4th line is a waste.

My preference in most games when everyone is healthy would be Prust-Bournival-White for the 4th line. Dress Moen if you want a veteran and/or someone is struggling and dress Parros when you want a face puncher.

facing most teams in our division, we're dressing Parros. As mentioned in another thread, i would not dress him to face the wings. But now with a new rivalry with the sens (and their added muscle), I would dress Parros to face them.

Some of the teams I would dress parros against would be, Philly (even though they've lost some grit in the past few years), the pens (who despite bieng known for skill and their stars are very dirty, had to be to compete against state rivals philly), every team in our division minus the wings and washington who have added some grit.

Montreal Canadiens Roster Is Set For Opening Night After Final Cuts Made

It was no surprise to see Beaulieu sent down, though he looked good in his two pre-season games, he missed most of camp with an injury, and will be given an opportunity to play big minutes in Hamilton to return to one hundred percent.

Dumont, on the other hand, likely had his name penciled in to many fans lineups at the beginning of camp. However, he struggled in his pre-season action, and Michael Bournival surprised many with his inspired play, and stole Dumont’s spot.

Dumont will be subject to waivers, and could possibly be plucked away for nothing if there are any interested parties. Beaulieu is not on the waiver wire, and will report directly to the Bulldogs.

The Canadiens 23 man roster now contains 14 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders.

The forwards are Daniel Briere, David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty, Tomas Plekanec, Rene Bourque, Brian Gionta, Lars Eller, Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Brandon Prust, Ryan White, Michael Bournival, Travis Moen and George Parros.

The seven defensemen are, P.K. Subban, Josh Gorges, Andrei Markov, Raphael Diaz, Francis Bouillon, Douglas Murray and Jarred Tinordi, and of course Carey Price and Peter Budaj in net.

Currently injured and not on the roster are defenders Alexei Emelin and Davis Drewiske.

So another season and the same baffling personnel choices again. Gallagher getting very little ice time, Desharnais getting close to 20 minutes despite a horrible game, and Subban not playing on the PK. Why use a Norris trophy winning defenseman on the PK when you have...Markov and Diaz!?!?

it is kind of tough to get a handle on what ice time is going to be after one game that was full of penalities

Not tough to get a handle on the PK ice time though, and apparently MT thinks Markov and Diaz are better players to give the ice to than Subban.

only one game in and he played almost 25 minutes, highest on the team as it should be i had to go check the game sheet because from the posts i've read about this since last night, one could almost think subban was benched and played under 18 minutes

Ya, he can handle a bit more ice time we're definitely going over the top on this. The bigger issue though is leaving him off the penalty kill in favour of Markov, because it's not only a waste of Subban's talents but it's going to be detrimental to Markov long term. It really makes no sense.

I have some nit-picky issues with player usage in that first game, but it is just one game so will see what adjustments get made.

Archived