The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-14 Marc Bergevin and staff

1) I think at least one of those guys, possibly/hopefully two are ready for full time duties next year

2) Markov IMHO needs to be re-signed regardless of whether one or two of the rookies makes it. Only reason not to bring him back would be an asking price we can't afford which is unfortunately entirely possible.

3) Subban will be re-signed - no brainer.

4) I really think we'll have to start shopping DD. Gionta is UFA, it'd be great to bring him back cheaper but that will likely depend on if we can move DD and/or Briere. We should never have signed Briere but at least it's not long term.

5) Impossible to say who will be left of the impending FAs. Vanek would be excellent :) but maybe impossible to fit in cap-wise.

1. The potential that all four could be NHL defenders is just awesome. However, all four will never see full-time duty with Montreal and it's up to management to determine which one(s) are ready and who fits the team needs best going forward. I really hope Tinordi can be a permanent fixture on the team!
  2. Markov being resigned is tricky, IMO. He's had a good start to the season (again), but I would worry about his play tapering off as the year goes on. I don't think we should look to invest anything close to what he's currently being paid. I'm especially not interested in resigning him for another three years either. The problem is, as we're all aware, offense from the point. Not much after Subban and Markov with the exception of Diaz... Who is not guaranteed a long-term future in Montreal.
  3. Yep, I hope so!
  4. I would be disappointed if Gionta were brought back unless it was for, like... $2 million a year for one or two years. Desharnais' value is getting less and less as times goes on. Probably Bergevin's worst decision to date. I'm not sure what we can do about this deal. Would anyone be willing to take him? I feel like "no."
  5. Vanek would be such an amazing pickup!

BCH, I have no issue resigning Gio. He has regressed, but he plays well with pleks and RB in a checking role. He's no longer a scorer, I think those days are gone, maybe h could put up between 15-20 goals (probably somewhere in the middle). He still has value in a checking role imo. I wouldn't bring him back at 5 mil, 2 mil I find a little low, especially for Montreal, so something along the lines of 3 mil is good for me-The cap is expected to go up.

DD yes, start shopping him, but doubt we'll get very many bites is we get any. I wouldn't be surprised if MB started shopping DD in the offseason, just to see if there was interest.

i don't see Diaz sticking around. He has shown potential, he's a tad injury prone and not big or physical enough to play in our division. What's he waiting for to start shooting the puck, it's not like he's a physical presence out here, if he isn't shooting, he's taking up a roster spot imo. I see him sticking around long enough for our youngins to work their way into the line up.Once Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn are ready, Diaz is gone.

I would only resign one of Markov and Diaz. Ideally it'd be Markov but if he wants too much then we're gonna have to let him walk. I agree with FS, 3 mil for Gio is fair but only if we move at least one of Desharnais and Briere

We also have to resign Eller and Emelin.

I think we'll see 2 of the 4 D prospects make it next year. But the thing I'm scared about is Nygren. He's contract ends after next season and if he doesn't make the Habs full time then I'm afraid he'll go back to Sweden.

BCH, I have no issue resigning Gio. He has regressed, but he plays well with pleks and RB in a checking role. He's no longer a scorer, I think those days are gone, maybe h could put up between 15-20 goals (probably somewhere in the middle). He still has value in a checking role imo. I wouldn't bring him back at 5 mil, 2 mil I find a little low, especially for Montreal, so something along the lines of 3 mil is good for me-The cap is expected to go up.

DD yes, start shopping him, but doubt we'll get very many bites is we get any. I wouldn't be surprised if MB started shopping DD in the offseason, just to see if there was interest.

i don't see Diaz sticking around. He has shown potential, he's a tad injury prone and not big or physical enough to play in our division. What's he waiting for to start shooting the puck, it's not like he's a physical presence out here, if he isn't shooting, he's taking up a roster spot imo. I see him sticking around long enough for our youngins to work their way into the line up.Once Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn are ready, Diaz is gone.

I could stomach bringing back Gionta if we can dispatch Briere and Desharnais. Otherwise, I'd have to say the cap space might be better. We have Eller, Subban, Emelin, and potentially Markov to worry about. I like Gionta, but I'm not sure he's a good fight for Montreal going forward if we're stuck with the other forward contracts I've mentioned.

I also don't really see Diaz sticking around.

Some natural decline is expected as he ages, but I really haven't seen any evidence that Gio's scoring days are behind him yet. He's played at a around a 25 goals pace for his entire tenure here. He's back at it again this year, and the fact he got a few early in the season and it usually takes him a while to get going bodes well.

I understand what we're saying about too many small players. It would be a shame though if we couldn't bring back a really useful player that can help us win because we already have two smaller inferior players in the lineup.

On Diaz, I mostly agree. I think he gets the job done and we're a better team with him right now. But in the very near future I think some of your younger players (Beaulieu in particular) will make him redundant so it likely won't make sense to bring him back (unless it's pretty cheap and short term).

*Some natural decline is expected as he ages, but I really haven't seen any evidence that Gio's scoring days are behind him yet. He's played at a around a 25 goals pace for his entire tenure here. He's back at it again this year, and the fact he got a few early in the season and it usually takes him a while to get going bodes well.

I understand what we're saying about too many small players. It would be a shame though if we couldn't bring back a really useful player that can help us win because we already have two smaller inferior players in the lineup.

On Diaz, I mostly agree. I think he gets the job done and we're a better team with him right now. But in the very near future I think some of your younger players (Beaulieu in particular) will make him redundant so it likely won't make sense to bring him back (unless it's pretty cheap and short term). *

Trust me I know, I've been coming to his defense since he's been a hab. When healthy he's been our most consistent scorer. I feel his scoring will drop, not because he's lost his shot, but because he seems to be in more of a checking role with RB and pleks.

Diaz is ok, but twice in 2 games on an odd man rush he played/chased the puck/puck carrier which led to a goal. Ok, last nights game the odd man rush started with a Gorges turnover at our blueline, with Diaz the last man back. But in a situation like that, you stand firm and don't commit to any player. Try your best to fall down or stay between the 2 rushing players taking away the passing lane. That leaves Carey, who's a top notch tender, left to deal with the shooter, which he should have no problems doing. Both odd man rushes were almost identical, with the puck carrier being to his right, in both circumstance he chased the puck and the puck carrier instead of playing defense, which allowed the carrier to feed the open man, which ultimately led to a goal. For me, his stock is starting to fall and I think if we have any takers, we should unload him while he still has some value. He's an offensive dman who isn't creating much offense. He isn't strong along the boards, isn't physical and is average in the dzone. An offensive dman with an average defensive game is almost useless if they're not creating offense. He has 4 points in 10 games, decent for a blueliner, but where are the shots?

He has 8 shots in 10 games, that's not even 1 shot per game with time on the 2nd PP unit.

The kid had so much promise until last seasons injury, then the wheels fell off. Before his injury, he and marky were leading the team in scoring while PK dealt with his contract dispute. He hasn't been the same since his last injury, in his defense, Moen took a year off (so to speak) after his last concussion. Difference is, Moen just signed a contract extension, Diaz' contract is coming to an end.

With Tinordi, Bo, Nygren and Pateryn waiting for their jump to the Habs, there's no time for Diaz to waste and I doubt that MB will bring him back, not if he continues at this pace.

• 2 weeks later...

he did pretty much say he tried to sign other people but just could not get it done.

Really... That's no excuse for signing players that clearly are not high quality and on the downside of their careers. Despite signing Desharnais to a contract for too long a term under the circumstances at least he is still young and there was some possible rebound potential. Bouillon was just not necessary period.

If the only players Bergevin could land here were Parros, Briere, and Murray, he was probably better off allowing some of his players from within to develop and try to fill those roster spots. Kristo would have been a guy we could have given a shot to, but he was shipped out. Leblanc was another but he was written off before being given much shot in training camp (and once he was called up, has played better than either Parros or Briere for my money's worth). Maybe Dumont or Nattinen. And if Briere wanted to come here so badly, then frankly, there was no reason for MB to offer a second year or 4M a season. Briere signing here didn't fill a glaring need to a great degree; he was a player on the downside of his career, coming off injury, and whom we were taking a risk on. Yes, there's upside there too potentially, but 8M over two years is a decent chunk of change for a risk like that. On D, I would have been happier to tough it out with Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, etc. as needed. Sure, we may see errors from them, but at least those players are learning from their mistakes, which can make us a better team in the long run. As it stands, we're using guys who are playing bad hockey AND who are not on a learning curve that will improve our team down the road for doing so.

M-A Godin reporting that Bergevin told him he doesn't believe in having any player play 26-28 minutes a night because it wears them down over the season. Godin stating that this perhaps explains Therrien's limiting of Subban's minutes. That said, I have several problems with this philosophy/statement:

1. Most teams with stud defencemen play them 28+ minutes a night and do just fine. You look at Chara, Keith, Suter, Karlsson, Letang, Doughty, Weber, etc... all these guys are given ample minutes without limitation and several of those teams have won cups employing their D men that way.

2. The team has had no problem using Markov on both special teams and occasionally giving him 26-27 minutes a night. If it's such a problem worrying about a young player like Subban wearing down, shouldn't that theory apply twice-fold to an older guy like Markov? Shouldn't we be sitting Bouillon in the press box from time to time to save him from wearing down too?

3. When you talk about limiting a player's minutes, the time to do it is not in the last 3-4 minutes of a tie game. Sure, reduce Subban's ice in games where we're up by 3 or trailing by 4 or whatever that magic number is where you don't think you have a chance to change the outcome of the game. But don't try to sell me the idea that sitting Subban for those minutes is in the best interest of the team. It's the type of stuff someone with no knowledge of hockey would come up with.

Whether the limitation of Subban's ice is being directed from Bergevin or Therrien or both, it's hurting our team to have Bouillon and Murray out there as much as they're playing. Whoever it is needs to re-think the team's philosophy ASAP or we're in big trouble.

A lot of talk out about defensive issues, but I believe this little run of losses has been due to a lack of scoring. We are still matching or out playing the opposition on most nights. For me, Murray and Parros are there as low price filllers to add the toughness thisteam needs and when Emelin or Prust get going in the next few games Parros mat not be needed too much. I am more concerned with the development and drafting of players to fit this role. Pacioretty is more of a scorer, so we atrlrss likley to rely on him and Blunden hasn't shown much toughness in his game. We will need this soon as Murray, Bouillion and Parros do not have much left of their careers. Tinordi looks like he can play that role too but, this is what will be need if we are to succeed in the playoffs.

I think we make the playoffs and look forward to seeing how our physical play effects other teams. But Prust looks fragile and Briere looks done.I agree that Parros looks weak in his own end, but believe he was hired to fight and he has been doing so nightly.

We should be much tougher to play against soon.

Archived