The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

IIHF World Junior Championships, 2014 Version

kinot-1

I know it's a long way off, but here we can discuss the WJC, and all that goes with it, whether it consists of our draftees, or the different countries involved, or videos pertaining to the WJC, pretty much anything to do with the WJC.

The 2013-2014 WJC tournament will run from Dec. 26, 2012 to Jan. 5, 2013. All preliminary-round games will be played at the 7,950-seat Ufa Arena.

Sweden will head Group A with rival Finland, the Czech Republic, Switzerland and Latvia. The Group B field includes 2012 silver medalist Russia, the United States, Canada, Slovakia and Germany.

There are seven six Montreal Canadiens prospects playing in the tournament, which is an early look at who will be representing their country at the 2014 World Junior Tournament in December and January.

Sebastian Collberg, Charles Hudon, Alex Galchenyuk, Brady Vail (did not make the 1st cut), Sebastian Collberg, Artturi Lehkonen, Michael McCarron, Jacob De La Rose, Zach Fucale, will tryout for their respective teams.

TSN and RDS will broadcast the games and, I am sure some other broadcasters will pick up the games as well.

Here is the complete schedule:

Preliminary Round
Date Game Venue CET Eastern Score
Dec. 26 Germany vs. Canada Malmö Isstadion 13:30 7:30 AM -
Dec. 26 Norway vs. Russia Malmö Arena 15:00 9:00 AM -
Dec. 26 Czech Republic vs. United States Malmö Isstadion 17:30 11:30 AM -
Dec. 26 Switzerland vs. Sweden Malmö Arena 19:00 1:00 PM -
- - - - - -
Dec. 27 Slovakia vs. Germany Malmö Isstadion 15:00 9:00 AM -
Dec. 27 Finland vs. Norway Malmö Arena 17:30 11:30 AM -
- - - - - -
Dec. 28 United States vs. Slovakia Malmö Isstadion 13:30 7:30 AM -
Dec. 28 Sweden vs. Finland Malmö Arena 15:00 9:00 AM -
Dec. 28 Canada vs. Czech Republic Malmö Isstadion 17:30 11:30 AM -
Dec. 28 Russia vs. Switzerland Malmö Arena 19:00 1:00 PM -
- - - - - -
Dec. 29 Germany vs. United States Malmö Isstadion 15:00 9:00 AM -
Dec. 29 Norway vs. Sweden Malmö Arena 17:30 11:30 AM -
- - - - - -
Dec. 30 Czech Republic vs. Germany Malmö Isstadion 13:30 7:30 AM -
Dec. 30 Russia vs. Finland Malmö Arena 15:00 9:00 AM -
Dec. 30 Canada vs. Slovakia Malmö Isstadion 17:30 11:30 AM -
Dec. 30 Switzerland vs. Norway Malmö Arena 19:00 1:00 PM -
- - - - - -
Dec. 31 Slovakia vs. Czech Republic Malmö Isstadion 13:30 7:30 AM -
Dec. 31 Sweden vs. Russia Malmö Arena 14:00 8:00 AM -
Dec. 31 United States vs. Canada Malmö Isstadion 17:30 11:30 AM -
Dec. 31 Finland vs. Switzerland Malmö Arena 18:00 Noon -
Playoff Round
Date Game Venue CET Eastern Score
Jan. 2 Quarterfinal Malmö Isstadion 12:00 6:00 AM -
Jan. 2 Quarterfinal Malmö Arena 14:30 8:30 AM -
Jan. 2 Quarterfinal Malmö Isstadion 17:00 11:00 AM -
Jan. 2 Quarterfinal Malmö Arena 19:30 1:30 PM -
- - - - - -
Jan. 4 Semifinal Malmö Arena 15:00 9:00 AM -
Jan. 4 Semifinal Malmö Arena 19:00 1:00 PM -
- - - - - -
Jan. 5 Bronze Medal Game Malmö Arena 15:00 9:00 AM -
Jan. 5 Gold Medal Game Malmö Arena 19:00 1:00 PM -

I've been looking, I'd like to land tickets for the WJC in Montreal.

Tickets must be expensive though.

Fucal and Hudon seem to have a good chance of making team Canada. Gally-A shouldn't have any issues joining the US team (pretty much a lock).

As for the other European countries, I don't know enough about the teams to comment.

i really hope Hudon makes it this year, i should rephrase, I hope he's healthy when the WJ's come around. Was really looking forward to seeing him.

Does anyone know if Malcom Subban is too old for the WJC, I think he might be?

Either way, after his last performance at the WJ's, I'm pretty sure Canada is looking for another tender even if malcom is still in the right age group. Felt bad for malcom, played well until the elimination rounds, then it all fell apart.

Good thread Kinot, gives us something to talk about in the off season.

I've been looking, I'd like to land tickets for the WJC in Montreal.

Tickets must be expensive though.

Fucal and Hudon seem to have a good chance of making team Canada. Gally-A shouldn't have any issues joining the US team (pretty much a lock).

As for the other European countries, I don't know enough about the teams to comment.

i really hope Hudon makes it this year, i should rephrase, I hope he's healthy when the WJ's come around. Was really looking forward to seeing him.

Does anyone know if Malcom Subban is too old for the WJC, I think he might be?

Either way, after his last performance at the WJ's, I'm pretty sure Canada is looking for another tender even if malcom is still in the right age group. Felt bad for malcom, played well until the elimination rounds, then it all fell apart.

Good thread Kinot, gives us something to talk about in the off season.

Malcolm is 19, born in Dec.1993. Too old now. :(

Thanks, FS, just trying to dig up some topics to fill the void. :)

Will the Habs let him go though?

:wacko::blink: , never thought of that little fact, CRB :( . The thing is, that if he's playing really good, then the juniors will want him on the U.S.A. team, and the Habs will need him on their team. Can you say "conundrum"? :mellow: I wonder when the juniors will have to finalize their rosters, my guess would be the middle of Dec.at the latest.

NHL teams usually don't let their players participate, so I doubt it.

It depends on where the player is in his development. IMO, Alex is progressing nicely, and therefore, the Habs won't let him go. Other teams have their own agenda with their rookies and may or may not let them participate.

Don't forget Chucky has been invited to the Olympic camp in August,it would be something if he could play in both,but I don't think it is likely,and if he is playing well for us,we will need him.

It might be just too much for a player to go to all these competitions and we need him for our playoff run next season,

But we will have a few prospects at the WJC,so there will be quite a bit of extra interest for us.

GO HABS GO :wub::wub: :wub: :wub::wub:

From HabsWorld.net. (Mods, if you feel that this site is not allowed,,, please remove this post ).

"The 2013 Lake Placid tournament, a tune-up for the World Juniors in December, was held from August 4-10. The Habs were extremely well represented in the tourney with no fewer than seven prospects getting into game action throughout the week. Here is how each prospect fared with our StatTracker "

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3163

Malcolm is 19, born in Dec.1993. Too old now. :(

Thanks, FS, just trying to dig up some topics to fill the void. :)

i thought he may be too old, too bad he screwed up his one shot at the WJC.

Will the Habs let him go though?

I don't see why they wouldn't. They've never really stood in the way of players playing for their countries, but he would miss some NHL games while the WJC are going on.

i can see the habs concern, but i don't think they'll stand in his way.

just a gut feeling.

It depends on where the player is in his development. IMO, Alex is progressing nicely, and therefore, the Habs won't let him go. Other teams have their own agenda with their rookies and may or may not let them participate.

Ya, there's bascially no way they let him go, he's established himself as a regular and an important player on the team. It's extremely rare for an NHL team to let a player participate. I think I can remember it happening once or twice, I just can't remember with who.

Ya, there's bascially no way they let him go, he's established himself as a regular and an important player on the team. It's extremely rare for an NHL team to let a player participate. I think I can remember it happening once or twice, I just can't remember with who.

I think you're right BCH, if I recall, a few Olympics ago there was 1 or 2 players that were on ELC, but weren't doing much with the big club, so the club let them go. Like you though, I don't recall who they were.

Archived