The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#6 Douglas Murray 2013-2014

kinot-1

I wonder what kind of mins. he played per game.

I'm hoping he'll be a bottom pairing ES Top minute PK'er for the team.

And that as a result of Murray playing, Bouillon isn't.

I'd be upset if Diaz was sitting over Bouillon...but feel this team will at the very least realize Diaz' immense value to the 2nd PP unit.

I remember wanting to cry last year when they'd send out Gorges and Bouillon o nthat 2nd PP unit.

Not much information out there, on him:

Assets: Can play an effective stay-at-home role and excels in penalty-killing situations. Is an awesome physical specimen and loves to dish out bone-crunching hits. Flaws: Will never be confused with Paul Coffey in terms of his offensive ability. Must avoid taking bad penalties. Is only average in the skating department.

IMO: I'm Happy, we have size, 1 yr contract, to see what happens.

Murray was acquired from San Jose when the Penguins tried to bulk up their roster close to the NHL trade deadline. He skated on the third defense pairing during the playoffs and finished with a minus-3 rating. Murray is eligible for unrestricted free agency next month of the Penguins don't sign him.

The conditional draft pick the Pittsburgh Penguins gave the San Jose Sharks as part of the Doug Murray trade has become a 2014 second-round selection.

The condition was that the Pittsburgh Penguins advance to the Eastern Conference finals. Murray has three points, 18 hits, and 23 blocked shots in 11 playoff contests.

Really happy with this deal, especially at 1.5 mil.

He isn't the faster skater out there, but faster than Gill and much more aggressive. His game has regressed, had troubles with the pens speed, but he'll have training camp and a full season to get use to our system. Perfect pick up and replacement for Emelin.

habs are getting bigger, everywhere but our top 6/9. Which doesn't concern me too much if the rest of the team has size. Our 76 habs were built with big dmaen, tough lower 6 and small, but fast and highly skilled forwards in our top 6.

We just got a whole lot tougher over the summer with Parros and Murray.

Murray isn't getting any younger, he's a fringe top 4 dman, kinda like Gorges. Capable of filling in due to injury, but wouldn't give him a permanent spot in our top 4. We'll see how he does, he may actually do well in a top 4 role if he has a fast/skilled d partner.

Just please MT, don't pair him with Markov. markov needs a fast partner to help his lack of mobility.

Really happy with this deal, especially at 1.5 mil.

He isn't the faster skater out there, but faster than Gill and much more aggressive. His game has regressed, had troubles with the pens speed, but he'll have training camp and a full season to get use to our system. Perfect pick up and replacement for Emelin.

habs are getting bigger, everywhere but our top 6/9. Which doesn't concern me too much if the rest of the team has size. Our 76 habs were built with big dmaen, tough lower 6 and small, but fast and highly skilled forwards in our top 6.

We just got a whole lot tougher over the summer with Parros and Murray.

Murray isn't getting any younger, he's a fringe top 4 dman, kinda like Gorges. Capable of filling in due to injury, but wouldn't give him a permanent spot in our top 4. We'll see how he does, he may actually do well in a top 4 role if he has a fast/skilled d partner.

Just please MT, don't pair him with Markov. markov needs a fast partner to help his lack of mobility.

Well said. If used effectively this could be a good signing. He isnt the top 4 guy we really "need" (not that any are available) but he's also not so horrible he couldnt get top 4 minutes from time to time.

And I agree wholeheartedly about your last line.

Wouldnt be surprised to see 1 or more of our dmen moved over the next little bit, we have a real logjam at #4-6 (mostly 5-6) right now.

Will be interesting to see how the pairings line up, once Emelin is healthy.

Gorges-Subban

Markov-Emelin

Murray-Diaz

I really like that top 6. Some will say Gorges is playing in too high of a pairing (and will even falsely claim he's only ever been a top 4 d-man once in his career) but he's the best option, and as a whole the top 6 looks solid there.

Wouldnt be surprised to see 1 or more of our dmen moved over the next little bit, we have a real logjam at #4-6 (mostly 5-6) right now.

Who is going to be moved though?

Diaz HAS to stay if for no other reason than his value to the 2nd PP unit. I'm inclined to list off a number of different reasons on top of that...but on that and that alone there's no way he's moved anytime soon.

Bouillon has little and less trade value.

And Murray was just signed...

Gorges' trade value doesn't come close to his value to the team on the ice.

And I doubt any prospects get traded, and Drewiske was obviously signed to be the #7 d-man/Hamilton depth if a couple young guys step up (unlikely this season).

This doesn't signal a trade to me in any way. It signals a team that realizes you need to be 8 or more d-men deep to have enough depth to get through injuries and slumps and all that.

Right now they have 1.8odd cap space. Presumably now Tinordi gets sent down (at least once Emelin is healthy), leaving them with 7 healthy d-men, and nearly 3 million still in cap space.

Would be very surprised if any trade came as a direct result of this.

I think that we should keep Tinordi in the lineup even after Emelin is back(depending on if he played well). In that case maybe Murray will be a trade asset at the deadline or something. Of course it depends on how they each play while Emelin is out. Maybe if Nygren or Beaulieu make the lineup one of Markov and Diaz can be traded.

Anyways, we have a lot of options and are In a good position.

Like i posted in the other thread, I'm really happy about this pick up.

He slow, not Gill slow, but he is more aggressive than Gill, can really throw the body. Between him, Emelin, Tinordi (eventually) and Subban, we're going to have a punishing blueline.

Murray is more of a fringe top 4 guy imo. With Emelin out of action for a few months, he should fit in well. I really hope MT doesn't pair him with Markov, both need a fast d partner to counter their slow foot speed and reduced mobility (in Marky's case).

i think Murray and Gorges could make a solid shut down pairing.

We'll soon see what MT has in mind for Murray.

I think that we should keep Tinordi in the lineup even after Emelin is back(depending on if he played well). In that case maybe Murray will be a trade asset at the deadline or something. Of course it depends on how they each play while Emelin is out. Maybe if Nygren or Beaulieu make the lineup one of Markov and Diaz can be traded.

Anyways, we have a lot of options and are In a good position.

Unless Tinordi really amazes (I'm not even convinced he'll be with the team with Emelin out...) I think most of this season will be spent in Hamilton.

This signing gives them the luxury of allowing him to take his time.

Like i posted in the other thread, I'm really happy about this pick up.

He slow, not Gill slow, but he is more aggressive than Gill, can really throw the body. Between him, Emelin, Tinordi (eventually) and Subban, we're going to have a punishing blueline.

Murray is more of a fringe top 4 guy imo. With Emelin out of action for a few months, he should fit in well. I really hope MT doesn't pair him with Markov, both need a fast d partner to counter their slow foot speed and reduced mobility (in Marky's case).

i think Murray and Gorges could make a solid shut down pairing.

We'll soon see what MT has in mind for Murray.

I especially like the trickle down it should have on the PK.

Not only will Bouillons' minutes there hopefully be lessened significantly, but hopefully Markov doesn't set foot on the ice during the PK.

Once Emelin is back I like Gorges-Subban, Markov-Emelin, Murray-Diaz. Good mix of skill and toughness on every pairing.

It will be interesting to see how they shake out until then though.

If Gorges is playing wiht Murray, then who is playing with Subby Dubby Due?

Posted Today, 12:03 PM

I wonder what kind of mins. he played per game.

He isn't going to log a ton of minutes either as his career average is 17:31 which is also in the area of the playing time he received last season although his ATOI dropped to just over 15 minutes in the playoffs.

Unless Tinordi really amazes (I'm not even convinced he'll be with the team with Emelin out...) I think most of this season will be spent in Hamilton.

This signing gives them the luxury of allowing him to take his time.

I especially like the trickle down it should have on the Pk

I think Tinordi > Murray and especially > Bouillon and Drewiske

The only way I see Tinordi not starting in the lineup would be if he gets beat by one of Beaulieu, Nygren, or Pateryn at camp.

I think Tinordi > Murray and especially > Bouillon and Drewiske

The only way I see Tinordi not starting in the lineup would be if he gets beat by one of Beaulieu, Nygren, or Pateryn at camp.

It's a tough call for me just because we haven't seen Murray in our system or anything yet. I would rather take Tinordi as a bottom pairing guy than Boullion or Drewiskie for sure, but I would feel more comfortable right now with a more experienced defenseman like Murray filling out the top 4 temporarily than a young and developing Tinordi.

It's a tough call for me just because we haven't seen Murray in our system or anything yet. I would rather take Tinordi as a bottom pairing guy than Boullion or Drewiskie for sure, but I would feel more comfortable right now with a more experienced defenseman like Murray filling out the top 4 temporarily than a young and developing Tinordi.

i agree, not saying that Tinordi can't work himself into our top 4 this season, as you, i feel more comfortable with experience in our top 4. Which is probably where he'll play with the injury to Emelin and the eventual injury to Diaz (yeah I know, low blow).

i agree, not saying that Tinordi can't work himself into our top 4 this season, as you, i feel more comfortable with experience in our top 4. Which is probably where he'll play with the injury to Emelin and the eventual injury to Diaz (yeah I know, low blow).

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Tinordi outright force his way into top 4 minutes out of sheer will...nor would it surprise me to see him play 10-15 games over the course of the season with the Habs. I liked what I saw of Tinordi, quite a bit. The Habs now have the luxury of letting him work for another year in the AHL if need be. No reason why he can't come back up if he's sent to the AHL near the start, and he still clears Waivers for a bit still so he'll definitely be with the Habs this season for stints. How much remains to be seen.

Although it also really would not surprise me at all if they just played Tinordi with Subban. Subban is young but he's more or less a vet, who else to help a guy like Tinordi transition to the NHL?

Tinordi-Subban

Markov-Emelin

Gorges-Murray/Diaz (suddenly Gorges could be trade bait? He'd have value in deals, not great but good value ++ moving 3.9 in salary (even if they bring in more than that))

Coz Beaulieu is out there as well, and I don't think he'll take long to be able to give an NHL team more than serviceable bottom pairing defence, and that's where the floor potential is for Beaulieu I'd say.

21 in December, solid rookie campaign last year...this Habs defence could be about to get REALLY stacked.

I love the depth, just want to mention it one more time.

Fun fact, the addition of Murray with the subraction of Tinordi means that this team only actually added 475K in salary to their roster today. That's based on them sending down Tinordi of course, but maybe in a month or two they move out Bouillon and put Tinordi in his place, actual then saying the team around 500K in cap space.

Now it's far more likely that Bouillon just plays out his contract and either re-signs for like half of what he's making now, and that's not a bad thing because he could in maybe actually be this teams' 9th best d-man in April if all are healthy.

Gotta love it, especially since with the 3 "young bucks" I counted in that top 8, you still have another 3-5 realistic NHL top 4 prospects moving forward.

And the reigning Norris trophy winner????

Depth baby.

Archived