The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013 Official Habs Forum Yahoo League

Hello all, back by semi popular demand is your mediocre favourite poster ever HTB.

im interested in partaking in another yahoo fantasy league. We had a good one a few years ago run by yours truly, however this year I am unsure as to whether or not I can handle commissioner duties due to my not having a laptop.

However if we REALLY need someone to run it, im more than able to do so.

The only thing I ask is that if you DO join the league you are committed, mainly committed to being present in order to draft your team, and to have sent a list to another member or 2 that can make a pick for you should you be unable to draft.

Just to throw it out there for those who might be on the fence, this league is open to everyone - even if you've never done a hockey pool before, the yahoo system makes it really easy to pick your team and to play throughout the year. It's a lot of fun!

Also, although we'll probably be doing a live draft you don't need to worry if you can't make it. You can make your list of players you'd like in advance and the computer will just pick for you - even if you want to just make a list of the top few that you're interested in the computer can make your picks in the lower rounds.

Finally, while there's no prize per se (beyond immeasurable bragging rights, of course ;)) that also brings us to the best part: it's free to play :). So come one, come all - just leave a post if you're interested. New players welcome!

Can someone explain exactly how this works (details please)? I have never been in a hockey pool (or any other pool ) , before but feel that I might be interested in playing it. What is it that I have to do,,, and how does it work?

The way we did it last time was after we drafted and the season began we went to the site and set up our teams everyday depending on which of our players are playing that day and we made trades and stuff as well. It's not that complicated really but you just need to have the time. There are also waivers and IR spots and players on the bench. I'm not a good explainer so maybe somebody else can help you. :P

Can someone explain exactly how this works (details please)? I have never been in a hockey pool (or any other pool ) , before but feel that I might be interested in playing it. What is it that I have to do,,, and how does it work?

You will need a yahoo ID (email address). It is easy and free to make one.

You make a list on yahoo of players you want to draft. That way, if you cant make it to the draft, you dont have to worry about missing picks. We all meet at the allotted draft time on yahoo and start making picks.

Once your team is set, you just have to sit back and watch the points roll in. You can always add/remove players from your team and pick up undrafted free agents, trade players, and if we decide we will use a bench. A bench is players who's points totals will not count towards your team if they are playing that night, but not in your active roster. It essentially allows you to have extra players to rotate in and out of your line up.

As well, there will be Injured reserve spots, when a player on your team is put on the IR in real life, you can move him there and hold onto him until he is cleared to play. You will need to pick up a new player as a replacement, and when your injured player is ready drop a player in order to bring your team back to regular numbers.

Hope that helps Kinot :)

You will need a yahoo ID (email address). It is easy and free to make one.

You make a list on yahoo of players you want to draft. That way, if you cant make it to the draft, you dont have to worry about missing picks. We all meet at the allotted draft time on yahoo and start making picks.

Once your team is set, you just have to sit back and watch the points roll in. You can always add/remove players from your team and pick up undrafted free agents, trade players, and if we decide we will use a bench. A bench is players who's points totals will not count towards your team if they are playing that night, but not in your active roster. It essentially allows you to have extra players to rotate in and out of your line up.

As well, there will be Injured reserve spots, when a player on your team is put on the IR in real life, you can move him there and hold onto him until he is cleared to play. You will need to pick up a new player as a replacement, and when your injured player is ready drop a player in order to bring your team back to regular numbers.

Hope that helps Kinot :)

So,,,let me get this straight, all players in the NHL are "draft eligible" by those in the pool. We "meet" at the allotted time and draft players onto each poolies team.

I'll come up with more questions later :P

So,,,let me get this straight, all players in the NHL are "draft eligible" by those in the pool. We "meet" at the allotted time and draft players onto each poolies team.

I'll come up with more questions later :P

Yup! :) In short, you pick some players for your fantasy team, then if those players score points in real life you get points in the fantasy pool.

Throughout the year you can trade with the other "GM"s in the pool, and also you can drop people that aren't performing and pick up new ones from the 'free agent list' of unselected players.

Finally, while it's more fun to be at the actual draft you don't need to worry if we can't all 'meet' at the same time, since you can make a list of players and have them selected automatically when your turn comes.

Yup! :) In short, you pick some players for your fantasy team, then if those players score points in real life you get points in the fantasy pool.

Throughout the year you can trade with the other "GM"s in the pool, and also you can drop people that aren't performing and pick up new ones from the 'free agent list' of unselected players.

Finally, while it's more fun to be at the actual draft you don't need to worry if we can't all 'meet' at the same time, since you can make a list of players and have them selected automatically when your turn comes.

So,, we have to pick 12 forwards,,, 6 d-men,, and 2 goalies? :) . Or is it just the skaters? If we pick 2 goalies,,, how does that work, with their GAA, and SV%?

Also,,, do we pick by position,,,, LW, C, and RW, ,,,, LD, and RD?

So,, we have to pick 12 forwards,,, 6 d-men,, and 2 goalies? :) . Or is it just the skaters? If we pick 2 goalies,,, how does that work, with their GAA, and SV%?

Also,,, do we pick by position,,,, LW, C, and RW, ,,,, LD, and RD?

You can set it up in all sorts of different ways, it depends on what the organizer wants to do. Normally it's either divided into forwards, defensemen and goalies or into LW, RW, C, D and Goalies. Skaters get points for goals and assists and also sometimes for things like shots, hits, power play points, penalty minutes, etc, again depending on how the organizer sets it up. Goalies usually get points for saves, wins, and shutouts and lose points for losses and goals against.

You can set it up in all sorts of different ways, it depends on what the organizer wants to do. Normally it's either divided into forwards, defensemen and goalies or into LW, RW, C, D and Goalies. Skaters get points for goals and assists and also sometimes for things like shots, hits, power play points, penalty minutes, etc, again depending on how the organizer sets it up. Goalies usually get points for saves, wins, and shutouts and lose points for losses and goals against.

:wacko::blink::o

Archived