The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013/14 Supplementary discipline hearings

HabsRuleForever

I remember Pacioretty not getting a hearing for his boarding penalty on Ryan McDonagh, but Ryan White got 5 games for hit on Philadelphia defense man Kent Huskins. We now have defenseman Douglas Murray who hits hard and after Emelin comes back from injury., another hard hitter. I see that maybe there will be accidental and miss timed hits. So against the habs, I see maybe two supplementary hearings during 2014 regular season, and with playoff pressure, maybe one more.

BEING NEW TO THE FAN FORUM, IF THE FOLLOWING SHOULD NOT BE POSTED, PLEASE REMOVE:

Published: Sunday, Feb. 3, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
The idea, Shanahan said, was to provide the Department of Player Safety with a room similar to one at the NHL offices in Toronto designated for goal reviews.
Shanahan is a proud Canadian, but New York is now home. He wanted a room of his own, and to help design it he hired Damian Echevarrieta, who knew the Roger Neilson Video Room in Toronto like he knows the NHL Rule Book.
“He's a human encyclopedia when it comes to NHL rules,” Shanahan said.
Echevarrieta, vice president of player safety and hockey operations, is so versed on specifics that within seconds of the Frolik hit, he started rattling off nuances of the league's revised boarding rule. He cited the second paragraph of Rule 41.
There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the referees when applying this rule.
Echevarrieta's chatter barely registered with Shanahan or Rand.
Michael Grover, a Montreal-born coordinator studying the Canadiens-Ottawa Senators game inside the video room, could not hear Echevarrieta. When noting a game — besides Shanahan and Echevarrieta, no Player Safety member follows more than one game at a time and two in one day — Grover wears headphones.
Narrative is important when noting a game, Shanahan said. Narrative includes hearing the home and away broadcast crews — not for opinion but because announcers could talk about something a coordinator might have missed.
“I love watching games, but I watch them differently now,” Grover said. “A lot of times I'm looking away from where the puck is, a lot behind the play.”
Trends are vital when noting a game, Echevarrieta said. The video room's walls are lined with sheets of paper that list information such as team rosters and players' supplemental discipline history.
One sheet includes Player Safety statistics from last season:
• 869 video clips were sent within the department for internal discussion;
• 35 fines were levied (34 regular season, 1 playoffs);
• 56 suspensions were issued (9 preseason, 34 regular season, 13 playoffs);
• 8 hearings did not result in suspension.
Echevarrieta and Shanahan were quick with these statistics Wednesday.
“More than 10 percent of hearings did not have suspensions,” Shanahan said. “But that also means almost 90 percent of hearings did lead to suspensions. We're not having hearings just to have them.”

Already 1 missed hearing IMO. Looks to me like he left his feet, and while its tough to tell exactly what was hit first, the fact that the head was hit at all combined with the fact that Nolan left his feet to make the hit (IMO) makes it a hit that is dangerous and exactly of the type we are trying to eliminate from the game.

It is a tough call though.

Already 1 missed hearing IMO. Looks to me like he left his feet, and while its tough to tell exactly what was hit first, the fact that the head was hit at all combined with the fact that Nolan left his feet to make the hit (IMO) makes it a hit that is dangerous and exactly of the type we are trying to eliminate from the game.

It is a tough call though.

At .22 secs. IMO, his skates were off the ice and shoulder contact was with the head. Another year, and another year of NHL fumbles begins.

So the NFL instituted this new rule where if a player gets hit and is suspected of having a concussion, then the trainer comes out and talks to him while he is still on the ground for a minute or two, then he sits up for a minute of two still talking to the trainer who is making an analysis of the situation, and then he comes off the field where the medical staff can make further decisions about going to the "quiet room", staying out of the game or only a couple plays, etc.

You would have to think the NHL knows about this....maybe (hopefully IMO) they follow suit shortly?

At .22 secs. IMO, his skates were off the ice and shoulder contact was with the head. Another year, and another year of NHL fumbles begins.

I agree. Its closer than some other (non-suspended) hits, and I will never envy Shanny's job, but if the NHL was serious about player safety, they would have done something with this hit IMO. I get that fans love a physical game, but NOBODY loves the look of Klesla laying on the ice like that. It's a shame the NHL hasn't figured it out yet.

I agree. Its closer than some other (non-suspended) hits, and I will never envy Shanny's job, but if the NHL was serious about player safety, they would have done something with this hit IMO. I get that fans love a physical game, but NOBODY loves the look of Klesla laying on the ice like that. It's a shame the NHL hasn't figured it out yet.

IMO, the league should/might err on the side of caution in cases like this one, and suspend the player, if only to send a message.

Two suspensions today. Closer, but I think both players deserved larger punishments for two clearly intentional hits with what looks to me like intent to injure, or at least intent not to care about potential injury.

Erne was suspended.

"Tampa Bay Lightning forward Adam Erne has been suspended three pre-season games for an illegal check to the head of St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka during Wednesday night's contest.

Erne received a minor penalty for checking to the head on the play.

Erne had two power-play goals and also scored in the shootout to lift the Lightning to a 4-3 win over the Blues."

Too bad he didn' receive a game misconduct,,,then the Bolts would have won.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/1008937/clip/0

So Clarkson will probably get something, if Kessel doesn't I'll be surprised.

2 two-handers and a spear, for Kessel. IMO, good for 10 reg season games, but will only get about the remaining preseason games. Let's see what the "hockey brass" says about this one.

Kessel got a match penalty, which is an automatic review, Clarkson should get 10 games as someone else this year got 10 for leaving the bench for a fight.

Incidences like these are what make me sour against fighting. Scott should have had nothing to do with Kessel, especially in the preseason, but the way Kessel reacted only made the situation worse and from there it escalated and after everything started to settle down and become manageable, the goalies were like "Well now we might as well go" which showed a complete lack of discipline IMO.

Complete lack of discipline from all involved and on the whole has no place in the game IMO.

TO had the last change and who does Carlyle send out to line up against Scott,,,, Kessel. He should have sent out Clarkson to begin with. Just bad coaching from Carlyle. I would think that we should hear something from Shanny around 3 PM tomorrow.

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with Carlyle's decision. The sport is hockey, not MMA - it shouldn't matter how your wingers match up in a scrap. If you can get your top line out against their lower lines then you're giving yourself an advantage and a great chance to score. In fact, if Kessel had just kept his stick in check while he backed off that probably would have been a 5 minute PP for the Leafs.

Kassian was "given a double-minor for high-sticking and an in-person hearing with the NHL, meaning a suspension north a five games is possible". Article

Gagner's jaw is broken as a result and I think that's important besides that fact that he just carelessly sung his stick out like that after he wasn't able to finish his check.

Edit: How do you embed a video so that it plays within the post. I can't seem to figure it out :wacko:

Here it is beaubie. I'm not sure about your youtube page, but what I do, at the very top of my youtube page, in the upper lefthand corner there is the "webpage" address for youtube. Click on that and it "should" turn blue (like when you copy something), right click,,,,copy,,,,,,,, and paste in the reply. I hope you understand . :)

Match penalties (which Kessel recieived) carry an automatic suspension and require a ruling from commissioner Gary Bettman. :lol:

Getting better all the time for the laffs :lol: . Also, the suspended players do not have their contracts off the books, so that while Clarkson receives an automatic 10 games, and Kessel, might be suspended too, their contracts remain on the books. The laffs also have to fill in for the players suspended.

Here it is beaubie. I'm not sure about your youtube page, but what I do, at the very top of my youtube page, in the upper lefthand corner there is the "webpage" address for youtube. Click on that and it "should" turn blue (like when you copy something), right click,,,,copy,,,,,,,, and paste in the reply. I hope you understand . :)

I just right click directly on the video and select copy video url

Thanks guys. I didn't know you could just copy the url in the post and that would automatically put it in. Before the updates I remember having to put in a code to get it to work. Anywho, thanks again! It's a lot easier now.

Your welcome. Glad to help.

Archived