The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2013-2014 Magic Number (MN)

Manatee-X

I'll do you one better... the MN is ACTUALLY going to be 9. Washington is in the 9th place seat. They can technically get to 98 points, but they only have 25 ROW to our 35. So even if they win out in their last 9, they can't pass us in the tie-breaker. So if we get 9 points, we're in!

I bet if we looked at each bubble team's schedule it would drop to 8 by virtue of head to head matchups, but I'm too lazy.

I'll do you one better... the MN is ACTUALLY going to be 9. Washington is in the 9th place seat. They can technically get to 98 points, but they only have 25 ROW to our 35. So even if they win out in their last 9, they can't pass us in the tie-breaker. So if we get 9 points, we're in!

Good call.

I bet if we looked at each bubble team's schedule it would drop to 8 by virtue of head to head matchups, but I'm too lazy.

Besides, it's funner to knock 'em off as they come or we wouldn't have Bonuses to look forward to.

MN is 9.

No Bonuses available for a couple of days.

1zx1641.jpg

jhc0ab.jpg

Think right now, the main storyline going forward towards season's end is shifting towards who we might meet in the playoffs, and the odds are certainly high that it'll be Tampa. If we look at both our schedules:

Montreal: @Det, @Fla, @TB, @Ott, Det, @Chi, NYI, NYR

Tampa: NYI, @Buf, @Det, Mtl, Cal, Dal, Tor, Phi, Clb, @Was

Tampa has a pretty weak schedule remaining... no real powerhouses and a handful of bottom-feeders, while 7 of 10 are home games. The home stretch may feature games against teams battling for playoff position though. Montreal has a really hard game in Chicago but otherwise doesn't have tough opposition either, albeit there are 5 road games and only 3 home games left.

If I look at Tampa's games (outside of the Mtl game), I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab 12 of 18 points. That would put them at 99. Montreal, in its 7 non-Tampa games, would thus need 5 wins to break even with TB. To me, the 5 most winnable games would be Fla, Ott, NYI, Det (home), and the Rangers at home... but that would also require us to beat Tampa. I think 5 of 7 is doable, and as a result, I really believe home ice advantage may come down to that remaining game head to head with T-Bay.

Think right now, the main storyline going forward towards season's end is shifting towards who we might meet in the playoffs, and the odds are certainly high that it'll be Tampa. If we look at both our schedules:

Tampa has a pretty weak schedule remaining... no real powerhouses and a handful of bottom-feeders, while 7 of 10 are home games. The home stretch may feature games against teams battling for playoff position though. Montreal has a really hard game in Chicago but otherwise doesn't have tough opposition either, albeit there are 5 road games and only 3 home games left.

If I look at Tampa's games (outside of the Mtl game), I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab 12 of 18 points. That would put them at 99. Montreal, in its 7 non-Tampa games, would thus need 5 wins to break even with TB. To me, the 5 most winnable games would be Fla, Ott, NYI, Det (home), and the Rangers at home... but that would also require us to beat Tampa. I think 5 of 7 is doable, and as a result, I really believe home ice advantage may come down to that remaining game head to head with T-Bay.

Good points, BigTed. It's also worth pointing out that, as the standings are right now, Montreal only has 2 games (both Detroit) against teams in the logjam for the Wild Card spots whereas TB has 4 (Detroit, Toronto, Columbus, & Washington).

Sure, teams with nothing to lose can be unpredictable but worse than that are teams with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

It's fairly certain, as you've pointed out, that we'll be facing TB in the first round, with home ice being all that's left to be determined, but I wouldn't dare hazard a guess (outside of the Predictions thread) as to how some of those games will turn out. :wacko:

MN is 9.

Not much change from yesterday's board and still no Bonuses available tonight. Lucky 7 is there with a win over the Wings.

Good points. When you think about it, Tampa's last 5 games could could all feasibly be against teams playing do-or-die hockey for a playoff spot. I think the Rangers are actually one of the better teams in the East this year, but we do usually have strong results against them for whatever reason.

There may not be any bonus points up for grabs, but let's hope the Bolts can lay an egg tonight vs the Islanders for us to improve our chances at home ice.

Good points. When you think about it, Tampa's last 5 games could could all feasibly be against teams playing do-or-die hockey for a playoff spot. I think the Rangers are actually one of the better teams in the East this year, but we do usually have strong results against them for whatever reason.

There may not be any bonus points up for grabs, but let's hope the Bolts can lay an egg tonight vs the Islanders for us to improve our chances at home ice.

The other interesting component to this is that Boston is not going to have a gimme series int he first round either. Whether they play Tor, Was, Phi, Det, or Clb, all of those teams have enough to beat the Bruins (heck, the Leafs almost did it last year). If we do end up matching up against Tampa in round 1, winning that series could potentially leave us with home ice advantage in the second round. If you compare that to the old format of just having 8 seeds in the conference, being the 4 or 5 seed in round 1 would require you to have two upsets in the first round to get home ice in round 2.

In case I'm not in tomorrow, here's what we're looking at for Saturday Bonuses:

If Washington (v Boston) or Detroit (@ Toronto) lose in regulation, it's 2 points. Should Columbus lose Friday night (v PIttsburgh), their game on Saturday (@ Carolina) will also give up a potential 2 points.

If we can't get 2 from any of the above scenarios, it's 1 point from any extra time loss.

0 points if they all win, which would kind of suck, but it would also mean Toronto lost and they fall farther from the Playoffs and inch closer to the golf course, so there's that at least.

There's hope for the Number to be a handful or less after tomorrow night's games so Go Habs Go!

EDIT: New page so here's the current boards ...

wi7zhg.jpg

29ne77o.jpg

Rumour has it the Laffs have already booked tee times for April 13th.

Well with their loss tonight, their playoff odds are hanging by a thread... even NJ has caught them in the net loss category and Ottaw is pretty close too (and winning against Chicago tonight). Maybe Toronto's going to start a hard tank to try to get a top 10 draft pick. Dion Phaneuf appears to be leading the charge for that.

Rumour has it the Laffs have already booked tee times for April 13th.

Rumoured? No rumour. They rebook every year for early to mid April the year before.

If Washington (v Boston) or Detroit (@ Toronto) lose in regulation, it's 2 points. Should Columbus lose Friday night (v PIttsburgh), their game on Saturday (@ Carolina) will also give up a potential 2 points.

Rumoured? No rumour. They rebook every year for early to mid April the year before.

Erm... Columbus had already lost when you posted this? Anyway, hoping for a Detroit win tonight, a Washington loss, and as unlikely as it seems, a Tampa loss.

And of course a Habs win!

Erm... Columbus had already lost when you posted this? Anyway, hoping for a Detroit win tonight, a Washington loss, and as unlikely as it seems, a Tampa loss.

And of course a Habs win!

Just bumping what FL had posted earlier in case it got lost. You know, like the Leafs playoff chances. Lost. But thanks for pointing out my error.

Guest habs1952

Rumour now has it the golf courses turned down the Laff's requests for tee times. Apparently they've hacked and chopped up the courses so bad for so long in early April the golf courses have had to shut down until the grass grows back. I guess the Laffs believe in belligerence and truculence even when they're swinging a golf club.

Archived