The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2013-2014 Magic Number (MN)

Manatee-X

Rumour now has it the golf courses turned down the Laff's requests for tee times. Apparently they've hacked and chopped up the courses so bad for so long in early April the golf courses have had to shut down until the grass grows back. I guess the Laffs believe in belligerence and truculence even when they're swinging a golf club.

The Leafs love golf. It's the only sports where being a minus player is a good thing.

I'm a bit kerfuzzled by all the possible bonus point scenarios, so here's a simple question: Is it possible for us to hit a MN of 1 by the end of today? (or 0 :D )

No. We've already got it down to 5 with the Washington loss. Other teams losing can help to get it down faster in the future, but for the point total to go down, the 9th place team has to lose ground. So if Det or Clb loses, they fall closer to 9th but they don't help us with the MN total because they don't fall behind Washington. The only points we'll potentially gain tonight now are to get it down to 3 if we win ourselves.

MN for the playoffs is indeed 3 (what it takes to guarantee Washington can't catch us). Toronto can no longer catch us, which means Detroit is the only team that can knock us out of the 2-3 game... Detroit's maximum point total at this time is 98, and they would have to win out to get there. In doing so, they would then hypothetically win the season series against us, so we would need to get to 99 points to stay in the 2-3 game. So it's currently an MN of 6 to ensure we get into the 2-3 game. At this point, it doesn't matter all that much what Phi, NY, and Clb do...

What,,,, no update on the NO GO # :lol: :lol: :lol:

I figure it's about 15 or less, off the top of my head at bedtime.

Although why anyone needs help to laugh at an 8-game losing streak is beyond me. I don't care when it happens, now or earlier in the season: you lose 8 straight, you're not playoff-worthy. Begone and be-golfing with you, Toronto.

I'll post the Board tomorrow.

MN is 3.

MN for the playoffs is indeed 3 (what it takes to guarantee Washington can't catch us). Toronto can no longer catch us, which means Detroit is the only team that can knock us out of the 2-3 game... Detroit's maximum point total at this time is 98, and they would have to win out to get there. In doing so, they would then hypothetically win the season series against us, so we would need to get to 99 points to stay in the 2-3 game. So it's currently an MN of 6 to ensure we get into the 2-3 game. At this point, it doesn't matter all that much what Phi, NY, and Clb do...

I love you, Ted. You make my head hurt. :wacko:

I don't care when it happens, now or earlier in the season: you lose 8 straight, you're not playoff-worthy. Begone and be-golfing with you, Toronto.

Hard to believe that 16 days ago we were 3 points behind the leafs. 16 days we gain 16 points on them!!!

Hard to believe that 16 days ago we were 3 points behind the leafs. 16 days we gain 16 points on them!!!

It's like the 12 days of Christmas except it's 16 days and every day we get the best gift of seeing the Leafs wilt! Otherwise, it's pretty much exactly the same.

Just looking at these standings under last year's 3-division format... TB would be the third division winner, but Montreal would almost be guaranteed to be the 4th place team, get home ice in the first round, and play either Philly or NY in the first round.

Guest habs1952

My gut is sore from laughing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the glass half-full category...

- If Det loses in regulation to Tampa today, the MN to ending up in the 2-3 Atlantic division match-up goes down to 3 (currently at 6, but Det would lose any possibility of winning the tie-break against us).

- If Tampa loses in regulation, we pass them in the MN standings and have the inside track on the 2nd seed.

Either way, that match-up on Tuesday in Tampa looms large.

In the glass half-full category...

- If Det loses in regulation to Tampa today, the MN to ending up in the 2-3 Atlantic division match-up goes down to 3 (currently at 6, but Det would lose any possibility of winning the tie-break against us).

- If Tampa loses in regulation, we pass them in the MN standings and have the inside track on the 2nd seed.

Either way, that match-up on Tuesday in Tampa looms large.

I've been thinking for a while that it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the winner of that game ends up being the team with home ice advantage.

Archived