The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2013-2014 Magic Number (MN)

Manatee-X

Thanks again for all the work, FL. I'll PM you that YouTube link later in the night/morning. :)

I got it bud but haven't had a chance to check it out. Thanks for thinking of me, though. I love proof of PJ Stock's ineptitude.

Habs MN Home Ice is 5.

It was a good night after a long day and I get to sleep in tomorrow. It's like stars aligning:

-Leafs lose

-Lightning lose

-Habs win

About the only blip was the blown 3 goal lead but we still came out on top so that's all that matters.

Hey Ted! How many games are left for TB and us? Is the tiebreaker still relevant? Because the MN Home Ice will drop a point as soon as it's not an issue. I'd look but I'm practicing my delegating. B)

Hey Ted! How many games are left for TB and us? Is the tiebreaker still relevant? Because the MN Home Ice will drop a point as soon as it's not an issue. I'd look but I'm practicing my delegating. B)

Tampa has 4 left, we have 3. We have 4 more ROW wins than they do, so they can still tie us in the tie-breaker and they own the next tie-break by virtue of winning the season series. However, for them to win the tie-break, it starts with their having to win all 4 games in regulation and getting to 101 points. That would mean the Habs have to exactly win 4 of 6 points and do it without a regulation or OT win (so for example, two SO wins or one SO win and two OT/SO losses). Unlikely the tie-break will come into play in their favor, in other words, but still not impossible. So MN stays at 5 (but goes down to 2 IF we win one in regulation or OT).

Or in other words, it's essentially 4 so long as two of those four points come in the form of a ROW and not a SO win.

To clarify:

- If the Habs win 5 or 6 points from their remaining three games, they are locked into the 2 seed.

- If the Habs win 4 points (including one ROW), they are locked into the 2 seed.

- If the Habs win 4 points but do it without a ROW, then Tampa would need to go 4-0 with 4 ROW to knock us off the 2 seed.

- If the Habs win 3 points (regardless of ROW status), Tampa needs to go 4-0 to knock us off the 2 seed.

- If the Habs win 2 points (regardless of ROW status), Tampa would need 7 points in their last 4 games to knock us off the 2 seed.

- If the Habs win 1 point, Tampa needs 6 to knock us off the 2 seed.

- If the Habs win 0 points, Tampa still needs 5 to knock us off the 2 seed.

As far as clinching home ice goes, a Tampa regulation loss against Toronto coupled with a Montreal win of any type against Chicago would lock us in at #2, so it could happen as early as Wednesday!

Yup, we're currently 89% to get that #2 seed according to sports club stats.

Yup. Essentially, we need any two of the remaining 7 games that feature either Montreal or Tampa to go our way... so two Mtl wins or two Tampa losses or one of each should do it. Those are pretty decent odds, especially with all of Tampa's games going against teams in the hunt.

Well something's gotta fall in that game :). Personally I'd actually rather see the Leafs win - they're probably not going to make the playoffs anyway in all likelihood, and I'd rather lock up home ice ourselves. Not that I'd be too concerned with either outcome, though.

Well something's gotta fall in that game :). Personally I'd actually rather see the Leafs win - they're probably not going to make the playoffs anyway in all likelihood, and I'd rather lock up home ice ourselves. Not that I'd be too concerned with either outcome, though.

Agreed, home ice is priority at this point.

Also, it's funnier when the Leafs get as close as possible to a playoff spot without actually making it.

I'm with you on that. The Leafs chances are so miniscule at this point that I think it's more important for us to grab home ice. And a Leafs' win means

1. They likely get closer to the playoffs without making it, making fans languish even more

2. They are more likely to think they were decent and keep Carlyle

3. Their draft pick is worse

Go Leafs Go, it seems... at least for one night.

Guest habs1952

I really, really hate to give the Laffs any hope whatsoever but yeah, the Habs come first.

I'm with you on that. The Leafs chances are so miniscule at this point that I think it's more important for us to grab home ice. And a Leafs' win means

1. They likely get closer to the playoffs without making it, making fans languish even more

I'd rather jump off the CN tower than say those words. Blasphemy! I'm just gonna hope Tampa loses.

Better still: they think they are decent, keep Carlyle and blame everything on Reimer, dealing him away for nothing. He then gets signed by a contender, works his way from backup to starter & pulls a Tomas Steen on them. :)

1. I think all but the most optimistic, unrealistic, head-hidden-in-the-sand members of Leaf Nation have begun selecting their new Cup favourites so there's a lot more room on the Toronto bandwagon that I don't mind jumping on for one night;

2. Keep him or let him go, for all I care. I don't think he's their only concern.

3. Yes!

Go Leafs Go. For one night only. (it's like a clearance sale :D )

Just so long as it ends in regulation and one of those numbers become a deuce.

My second favourite O now official.

thumbnailCA6KOGB8.jpg

Indeed. So this is what it feels like to cheer for the Leafs. -_- Glad I don't do it on a regular basis.

I'm going to need to post that board one more time just so we can see that savoury donut next to "MN TO NO-GO". :D:lol:

Insofar as it affect us, Tampa is now 5 points ahead of Detroit, with the Wings having 3 games to go. TB also owns the tie-break over Det (3 more ROW + won the season series), so for Det to pass TB, it would need to win all three games it has left AND Tampa would have to lose all three of its remaining games in regulation. So the odds are even higher at this point that we play Tampa in round 1. ALl that's left to be determined is who will get home ice advantage.

Insofar as it affect us, Tampa is now 5 points ahead of Detroit, with the Wings having 3 games to go. TB also owns the tie-break over Det (3 more ROW + won the season series), so for Det to pass TB, it would need to win all three games it has left AND Tampa would have to lose all three of its remaining games in regulation. So the odds are even higher at this point that we play Tampa in round 1. ALl that's left to be determined is who will get home ice advantage.

Given that Daysyuk is healthy and that Bishop may be injured, I'd say we're better off facing Tampa in the first round.

Given that Daysyuk is healthy and that Bishop may be injured, I'd say we're better off facing Tampa in the first round.

Yeah, Detroit actually scares me a little. If they end up facing Pittsburgh, I know who I have my money on. Especially if they get Zetterberg back soon, and word on the street is that he's expected for game 1.

Any word on Bishop?

NHL.com says he has a wrist injury and is out for the remainder of the season, but that he "could be available at some point during the first round". So basically, nothing new or unexpected.

Meanwhile they called up the Latvian terminator. I would like to publish the disclaimer that my nickname for him has nothing to do with the fact that I may or may not be able to spell or pronounce his real name.

Now a lock that we play Tampa in the first round. Will just depend on where we start the series now... a Tampa loss to Philly combined with a Mtl win tonight locks up home ice for us, as does a Tampa regulation loss combined with a Montreal OT/SO loss.

Archived