The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2013-2014 Magic Number (MN)

Manatee-X

And for Philly it's not just home ice - depending on how they play they could end up in the 2/3 matchup (against NY or Columbus) or they could be the bottom seed and have to play against Boston or Pittsburgh. They've definitely got some motivation.

TBH I don't care too much about home ice against Tampa; I don't want us to push too hard for it, resulting in any injuries or anything. I'd rather everyone gets as much rest as possible. There's enough snowbirds in Tampa to help negate home ice there, and we seem to play as well or better on the road. (line changes notwithstanding OFC)

I'm not overly concerned about Home Ice right now. Tampa Bay is probably the least hostile arena and I'd rather come home split at 1-apiece than leave split at 1-apiece anyway.

Health is the biggest concern.

Now 100: that's a number I wouldn't mind seeing. There's 2 zeroes in 100. :D :D

I'm not overly concerned about Home Ice right now. Tampa Bay is probably the least hostile arena and I'd rather come home split at 1-apiece than leave split at 1-apiece anyway.

Thats for sure - most of the time it feels like "home" in terms of the fans in the stands. A lot of players prefer playing the first 2 on the road as I understand it. From an organization standpoint I could see why the would cover home ice - you're much more likely to get an extra game if you have home ice.

Thats for sure - most of the time it feels like "home" in terms of the fans in the stands. A lot of players prefer playing the first 2 on the road as I understand it. From an organization standpoint I could see why the would cover home ice - you're much more likely to get an extra game if you have home ice.

Many players might be okay with the first two on the road and coming home with a split, but the problem is if you then split the two you have at home as well... home ice may not bet the be all and end all in the first 4 games of the series, but it definitely seems like a big thing to have for a potential Game 7. My point has been that we played guys like Markov 80 games deep into the season. Not sure a night off in game 80 makes a huge difference come playoff time, when there's likely to be a 4-5 day rest after the regular season anyways. To me, home ice is still worth going after when you're this close and you control your own fate. If you happen to lock it up before the NYR game, then yes, you can rest guys at that point.

Many players might be okay with the first two on the road and coming home with a split, but the problem is if you then split the two you have at home as well... home ice may not bet the be all and end all in the first 4 games of the series, but it definitely seems like a big thing to have for a potential Game 7. My point has been that we played guys like Markov 80 games deep into the season. Not sure a night off in game 80 makes a huge difference come playoff time, when there's likely to be a 4-5 day rest after the regular season anyways. To me, home ice is still worth going after when you're this close and you control your own fate. If you happen to lock it up before the NYR game, then yes, you can rest guys at that point.

I don't mind the rest, as I've said in other threads, but it kind of defeats the purpose when the guy you were resting plays 27:30 the next night.

And the biggest part of home ice for me isn't even so much the home crowd as it is the ability to have the last change. Especially in the playoffs where you see the same team/lines over and over this can be huge.

I don't mind the rest, as I've said in other threads, but it kind of defeats the purpose when the guy you were resting plays 27:30 the next night.

And the biggest part of home ice for me isn't even so much the home crowd as it is the ability to have the last change. Especially in the playoffs where you see the same team/lines over and over this can be huge.

Then again, there's less pressure when playing in front of the home crowd, so they could conceivably play better. :rolleyes: . There's both pros and cons for each scenario.

Give me a break. There are ZERO advantages from losing.

Losing home ice in the manner they did, particularly in front of their home crowd, was worthy of being booed. If this is "too much pressure" for these professionals, then golf season shouldn't be far away.

Losing to a bottom-ranking team that played mostly AHL rookies, when home ice could have been clinched, provided no advantage I can see. Getting shut out only made it that much worse.

Losing last change for the playoffs can't be an advantage in anyone's book.

Losing a game they should have won in convincing fashion only makes the possibility that this year's team is another "one-and-done" playoff flop all the more believable. Who's going to try to be a hero when they know they're only ordinary?

Hey, if the pressure of playing at the Bell Center in front of the most knowledgeable, most passionate fans in the world is too much for this team, then it's time to change the culture. We fans don't expect them to win every game, or win the Cup every year. We just expect to see competitive hockey at a high level. Is that really too much pressure for these highly-paid athletes?

Well there may be an advantage of losing...That Therrien might be fired because of it. I obviously still won't hope to lose but if a first round loss means bye bye Therrien and a good replacement than I wouldn't be too disappointed with it.

Well there may be an advantage of losing...That Therrien might be fired because of it. I obviously still won't hope to lose but if a first round loss means bye bye Therrien and a good replacement than I wouldn't be too disappointed with it.

I hope we do well in spite of Therrien because we really don't know if a first round loss means the end of Therrien. I would think & hope so but I just don't know who else is out there besides Boucher.

Why are we discussing this in the MN thread?

I hope we do well in spite of Therrien because we really don't know if a first round loss means the end of Therrien. I would think & hope so but I just don't know who else is out there besides Boucher.

Why are we discussing this in the MN thread?

Yeah! There's no number, magic or otherwise, in these posts!!! <_<

Seriously, Ted has a point. There is just no rationale for accepting losses at this point, even the hope of a coaching change.

I was wishy-washy on the need for Home Ice until I heard Gionta mention Game 5.

Game 5s are so pivotal. Ideally, we want to play them at home.

Control over our destiny is lost. Here's to Columbus doing us a favour.

Actually, if we kept the same format the MN would be 32 :ph34r:

MN to Cup is 32.

Wins needed 16.

:)

16 works fine. There's no ties or 3rd points in the playoffs. It all comes down to the number of wins.

Archived