The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-2014 Magic Number (MN)

Manatee-X

MN is 59.

I missed that the Rangers were playing last night and their loss gave up the Bonus Point from yesterday. I would have much rather gotten it from a Toronto loss but what're you going to do?

Nothing available tonight except the 2 points from a Habs victory. Go Habs Go!

2h50i9k.jpg

& because it's a snow day, some .400/.750 stuff to mull over ...

11julo1.jpg

Can someone explain this table to me? Is it similar to "clean victory" where you predict the point totals by year end for games won by 2 goals?

It's a theoretical scenario looking at a worst case situation whereby we win only 40% of our remaining games whereas the other teams win 75% of theirs.

Can someone explain this table to me? Is it similar to "clean victory" where you predict the point totals by year end for games won by 2 goals?

While the MN itself is based on the absolute worst-case scenario (how many points do we need if every other team wins every game they have left?) this table is more of a "practical" worst-case scenario. It's based on the assumption that even the best teams in the league are probably only going to get about 75% of their available points, while the worst teams aren't going to get much less than 40% (including overtime loss points).

That table shows the final standings if every other team wins 75% of their games and the Habs only win 40%. If we can cross into the playoff picture on that table then it's a pretty good bet that we'll actually be in the playoffs.

Time to hit it & get it moving again.

It might be working now ... :unsure:

MN is 54.

No Bonuses available tonight though a Rangers loss would be nice.

That little cushion that was between us and early tee times seems to have been replaced by a thin layer of single-ply toilet paper.

We're still about 8 points back of jumping the next team ahead of us on the .750/.400 board, currently the Islanders.

Pace for January right now is 1.75.

349521k.jpg

MN is 52.

2 Bonus Points up for grabs on Saturday. Ottawa (@ Toronto) and Columbus (v. Florida) both need to lose in regulation for that to happen. It's 1 Point if both lose but either goes to extra time.

2432amd.jpg

January Pace - 1.77

December Pace - 2.21

November Pace - 2.14

October Pace - 2.23

dxobco.jpg

Stuck in neutral.

Somebody get out and push.

MN is 51.

We're getting too close to the bar for my liking. The Pace is awful and starting the month with back-to-back losses against 'beatable' teams doesn't bode well. And tonight it's the Flames, who've had our number for a few years: winners of 5 straight and 6 of their last 7 against us, I think.

A regulation loss to either the Rangers (v. Colorado) or the Hurricanes (v. Winnipeg) will net us 1 big ol' Bonus Point.

ojfcpl.jpg

Archived