The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013-2014 Post of the Day

HabsRuleForever

Can you smell it? Hockey season is in the air.

This thread is for posts that you want to acknowledge‎ because you fell they stand out. Whether its a funny post that made you laugh out loud, a witty post, a well thought out post that swayed your opinion on a certain topic or just a well written post that you enjoyed reading.

Was there a post you read that fits the criteria above & you want to share it with the rest of us? Then please, feel free to do so here.

Can you smell it? Hockey season is in the air.

This thread is for posts that you want to acknowledge‎ because you fell they stand out. Whether its a funny post that made you laugh out loud, a witty post, a well thought out post that swayed your opinion on a certain topic or just a well written post that you enjoyed reading.

Was there a post you read that fits the criteria above & you want to share it with the rest of us? Then please, feel free to do so here.

there's the POD right there. :)

• 1 month later...

Time to fire up this thread again. From roy, in the Michel Therrien thread:

So on the whole, hard to be unhappy with his second tenure but his use of PK is starting to frustrate and trouble me. It's pretty clear he's viewed as basically an offensive DMan and IMO he's so much more. Tonight's game is a good example, Subban didn't touch the ice for the last few minutes of a 1 goal game. The Norris winner. The only DMan on this team who sees less shorthanded ice time per-game is Beaulieu. Diaz is used on the 1st pairing and I don't have an issue with Diaz and he actually played his best game of the season tonight but I just can't understand it. How can anyone believe having Diaz out on the PK is a better alternative to Subban. Subban is our only DMan with that kind of strength and speed combo. There's plenty of use for that.

I don't think this is a case of a coach protecting Subban's minutes for later in the season, he did the same thing through all of last year, big game or not and the fact that he's using a 34 year old Markov, who's been injury prone and prone to wearing down in a more prominent role kind of debunks the theory that he's all that concerned with saving guys.

• 1 month later...

From tonight's GDT.

I think most people will admit that the Habs playing poorly and the officials being bad are not mutually exclusive. They can and often do happen on the same night. The reason for me that the officiating is more of a focus is that if the Habs play badly, that's often reflected on the scoreboard: the team is punished for that, the fans are punished for that, and it's something the team has the power to correct. When the officials throw out bogus calls and don't do their job, there is zero accountability from the league. Zero. The NHL in truth does its utmost to prevent players and coaches from complaining in public and from disclosing to the public when refs made mistakes or how they are judged for it. Chris Lee has been selected to ref in the playoffs the past two years, so obviously the league isn't overly strict in how it ranks its officials' mistakes. Because of this, it irks me a lot more to know the officials get away with making all kinds of mistakes that cost a team a game; as I said, a team playing badly usually has a way of sorting itself out fairly in terms of making the teams pay in the standings in the long run. But officials not doing their job affects the outcomes of games unjustly and without consequence, and that's extremely frustrating as a fan.

• 1 month later...

From State of the Habs.

No disastrous moves, no, but it's just what seems to be his general philosophy that I don't like. He says that he values character and language, and the signings that he's made seem to support this to a pretty solid degree. He says that he's happy with how the team is playing right now, and a lack of any moves (not even call-ups) supports him having that view. Why do we have to wait until after the disastrous moves to make a change?

• 1 month later...

PP2009 gets my vote for Post of the Day with this one from the Subban thread.

For me, what makes hockey such an amazing sport to watch is the ability of the players to make decisions and to make plays in such a short amount of time, all the while knowing that the rest of their team needs to be completely on board with whatever they just did in order for it to work out. I think it's the ultimate combination of individual skill, team strategy and speed, and a good hockey game can get me out of my seat like no other sport can.

This is why it's frustrating for me to see team Canada sit someone like Subban, who embodies so much of what I love about the sport. I think PP's got an interesting take here on why he's not playing, and how our national identity as a 'hockey country' might actually be hurting us.

...I think that a very large portion of PK's issues are something every offensive defenseman not named Bobby Orr or Niklas Lidstrom has to deal with. PK isn't the only offensive defenseman getting snubbed by his own country.

And what concerns me the most is that only 2 countries legitimately value boring, low-risk play, and undervalue playing to win and keeping the puck. And it depresses me to almost no end that I'll soon be a dual citizen of both. The age of North American dominance is over. Europe might be better than we are already, and we just handicap ourselves with smaller ice to hide our deficiencies. In media from both countries that I've seen, "expert analysis" absolutely reeks of inaccurate, deeply held biases that permeate throughout the game this side of the pond, and sometimes blatant attempts to discredit European dominance in international tournaments.

Funny how, despite the fact that all Europeans are lazy and just "hotdog" all the time actually beat us in basically every tournament.

Funny how the reason we never win the World Championships is that we can't send our best (forgetting that perhaps other countries are also missing players too), and yet we get a glorious chance to gloat every 4 years that "our B team could compete for a gold medal!" Give me a break. Our B team would lose to Switzerland. They did, in fact. Honestly, how many people would be totally surprised if our A team did in a few days?

Funny how we've come up with excuse after excuse for not winning the WJCs, but when the thought that our gold medal run was luck and that Europe may develop talent and elite systematic play better than we do now gets a dismissive and entirely non-persuasive wave of the arm and shake of the head, but alas the argument gets accepted nonetheless.

It's garbage. All of it. I apologize for the rant (well, sort of), but I think PK is a great demonstration of all that is wrong with our sport today, and needless to say it really gets me going.

And know what else is funny? As good as a Canadian historic moment the 1972 series was, if it weren't for Paul Henderson, I honestly think that guys like PK, Wayne Simmonds (remember when he went to take a shootout only to have a banana thrown at him?), and Yandle (who got snubbed for almost the exact same reason as PK, just minus the race part) would be much, much better off. And that's not even getting into hockey as a sport worldwide, and how I imagine the game would be better off with more emphasis on skill than heart and character, which does nothing but excuse poor play and hold up our collective notions that someway, somehow, we have to be absolutely better than those European showboats.

i for one cant start my own topic.. but the habs rick roll'd us!!! common people thats funny!!

To avoid having a really cluttered list of topics and also to avoid SPAM, you have to have a certain number of posts before the system will let you create a new topic. It gives users a chance to familiarize themselves with the forum before creating a new thread.

Cheers,

Manatee_X

• 3 weeks later...

Well said, Manatee... I think this a must-read post for anyone who wants to understand the "anti-Therrien" sentiment:

BeanCountingHab had a good response to you earlier, mondouman, but I figured that I'd chime in too.

First off, I just want to say that I can absolutely see where you're coming from. It drives me nuts when fanbases complain about their coaching non-stop whenever something goes wrong. Sometimes the coach is a real problem, but 9 times out of 10 it's just people looking for someone to blame when things go South. I'll defend Jacques Martin to this day, just like I did when he coached here, because I always thought that he did the best he could with what he had to work with. "Fire the coach!" is the go-to rallying cry whenever a losing streak happens, but often that's just people upset because of losing and not actually because of coaching.

I think what you'll eventually come to find, though, is that things are a little different in this case. I can understand how if you look at a snapshot of the forum now it looks like everyone is needlessly negative about Therrien, but that's only because a lot of the discussion as to why people are unhappy took place back in November and December. People don't always write out the reasoning behind what they're saying because they've been saying the same thing for months, but for someone like you who hasn't read all of that already it would certainly seem like baseless complaining.

Basically a lot of people, myself included, put a lot of stock in the school of thought that, in the long run, how well the team plays the game is more important than whether we win or lose a particular game. In other words it's one thing to go on a lucky run and win a bunch of games in the regular season, but if the goal is to go far in the playoffs year after year then we need to work towards being a good team, not a lucky one. There are some statistics that people use a lot to measure possession (Corsi and Fenwick) which have been proven to be the most reliable indicators, long term, of how well a team plays. You'll also find that these stats often match the "eye-test" - if you've ever seen the Habs lose a game and thought 'boy, they really outplayed the other team and deserved to win', chances are the Corsi and Fenwick stats are going to back you up.

Last year we played really well, referring to both our record and these possession stats. And you could see it on the ice - the Habs came out flying and spent entire games dominating other teams for much of the season. It was a fun year, and if you look back at what people were saying about Therrien it was all positive. But hey, it's easy to be positive when we're winning, right?

Well we played the same way to start this year, and again people were happy with the coaching (even though our record was only ok). But then in November Therrien moved the team away from a possession system and into a 'dump-and-chase' game. This isn't just speculation, either; they'd been following the team with cameras for the 24-CH series and we actually hear him change his philosophy. As soon as he did that all of our possession went down - like WAY down - like 28th in the entire league down. We actually kept on winning games because we had a great goalie, but you'd watch the games and feel like we got completely outplayed. This is what people are upset at the coach about. It's not just because we're losing, it's because he took a team that was working really well, made a change that caused them to start playing much worse and then stuck with that change for the entire year.

It really isn't a fanboy reaction of "we're losing so it must be the coach's fault". If you read back I promise you that Therrien got just as much negative criticism during our ten-game winning streak as he's getting right now. And again, it's not because we don't like him or we just think the team needs a 'change of scenery' or something - the problem is that he's doing one specific thing that is actively causing this team to play far below their potential. And it's a shame.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived