The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Didn't see a topic for the 2014 NHL Draft, you can read Mckenzie's rankings.

My top 5:

1. Aaron Ekblad D, 6'3.5" 216

2. Sam Reinhardt C/LW 6'1" 185

3. William Nylander C/RW 5'11" 175

4. Leon Draisaitl C/LW 6'1.75" 208

5. Nick Ritchie RW 6'2" 230

*New Jersey devil's first round pick should be forfeited, they are 25th in the NHL standings.

habs draft picks:

1st round 2014 -Montreal

2nd round 2014 -Montreal

3rd round 2014 -Montreal

4th round 2014 -Montreal

5th round 2014 -Montreal

6th round 2014 -Montreal

7th round 2014 -Montreal

Leon Draisaitl is a big center, never saw him play but keep on eye on him. :P

German draft picks are somewhat rare, but there have been a few. Don't remember there being any high draft picks from Germany though.

They are definitely rare but Germany has produced NHLers like Dany Heatley, Marcel Goc both are former first round picks.

Leon Draisaitl is a big center, never saw him play but keep on eye on him. :P

They are definitely rare but Germany has produced NHLers like Dany Heatley, Marcel Goc both are former first round picks.

I don't know if I'd put Heatley in that category, although he was born in Germany, he grew up in Canada. He has never represented Germany, but has represented Canada several times. If anything, Canada produced Heatley, he grew up learning the game and playing it in Canada.

But bellow is a great example of solid NHLer Germany produced.

Seidenburg is a good example of a German hockey player who's presently playing in the NHL, wouldn't mind having him on our habs, even though he's accustomed to playing with apes. I expect him to join the German national team at Sochi.

• 3 weeks later...

Brendan Lemieux (Son of Claude Lemieux), is draft eligible this year. He's currently playing playing for the Barrie Colts and imho is worth going "off the board" for on draft day. According to scouting reports I've read, he plays similar to his father with a more modern game skill set applied to it. Every video I've seen of his play shows him going into the high risk traffic areas and in front of the net. I'd spend our 1st rounder on him.

Guest habs1952

Brendan Lemieux (Son of Claude Lemieux), is draft eligible this year. He's currently playing playing for the Barrie Colts and imho is worth going "off the board" for on draft day. According to scouting reports I've read, he plays similar to his father with a more modern game skill set applied to it. Every video I've seen of his play shows him going into the high risk traffic areas and in front of the net. I'd spend our 1st rounder on him.

Now that you've let the cat out of the bag every NHL scout is gonna be watching him. :lol: :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The habs blew it last year when they should have traded up to get Anthony mantha. Anthony Duclair was their for the taking with their later picks. So who's the top two point scorers in the QMJHL this year ? Mantha and Duclair are 1and2 . So why should 2014 be any different !

There's no real strong Quebecois prospects in this years draft...Guys I would be looking at out of the Q:

1st round-Ivan Barbashev-If this guy is available when we pick we should pick him...He's a stud...

Later Rounds:

Mathew Highmore-Saint John...Solid 2 way centre, worth a 4th round selection

Mark Simpson-Moncton-Bit of a project but definitely worth a 5th or 6th round selection

If the habs are drafting between 18-28 right now I would hope for Alex Tuch. He is 6'3 220 powerforward that play's C/RW.

More info on him: Big wing who is good on his edges and gets to the net. Offensively has a good skill set, with hands that let go a quick hard shot. Can power to the front and is stong on his carries, using his reach to control the biscuit. Needs to get a bit quicker.

While Danny Heatley was born in Germany and drafted 2nd OV, there are Marcel Goc (20th OV) and Marco Sturm (21st OV) drafted by San Jose Sharks. Besides Seidenberg, going back in time the first German born to play in the NHL was Walt Tkaczuk. Tkaczuk was a extremely good defensive center, raised in Timmins Ont. and was invited to play for Team Canada in 1972 for the Summit series. He turned down the invitation, another very big German player discovered by Scotty Bowman, while GM of Buffalo was Uwe Krupp, the second German born player after Tkaczuk to make an NHL All-Star team. Draisaitl is a very good prospect and will be the highest draft choice ever of a player from German descent, but most likely behind Heatley for German born players.

If the habs are drafting between 18-28 right now I would hope for Alex Tuch. He is 6'3 220 powerforward that play's C/RW.

More info on him: Big wing who is good on his edges and gets to the net. Offensively has a good skill set, with hands that let go a quick hard shot. Can power to the front and is stong on his carries, using his reach to control the biscuit. Needs to get a bit quicker.

I think 14 - 24th is a more appropriate range (for a window of 10 possibilities).

According to the mid-term rankings (14 to 24th ranked players), and summarizing information available from some prospect sites (Forecaster, EP, HF), here's a list of the 10 players in that range who might be available to us. It's no substitute for actually following the players of course, so feel free to add information!

RW :: Nikolay Goldobin :: OHL

- Offensive, goal producer

- 6'0 185lbs at 18

- Defensive Liability

- Russian

D :: Roland McKeown :: OHL

- Simple (but effective) two-way play

- 6'1 195lbs at 18

- Canadian (Ont)

LW :: Sonny Milano :: USHL

- Quick and evasive with good hands

- 5'10 159lbs at 17

- Likes carrying the puck

- US (NY)

C/LW :: Dylan Larkin :: USHL

- Power forward, drives the net

- 6'0 172 lbs at 17

- US (Detroit)

C/RW :: Joshua Ho-Sang :: OHL

- Agile, creative, offensive forward

- 5'11 165lbs at 18

- Canadian (Ont)

C :: Nick Schmaltz :: USHL

- Two-way forward with quick hands

- 6'0 172lbs at 18

- US (Wisconsin)

D :: Brycen Martin :: WHL

- Mobile, offensive-minded D-man

- 6'2 185lbs at 17

- Canadian (Cgy)

C/RW :: Alex Tuch :: USHL

- Power Forward/Grinder that can work with skilled players

- 6'3 218lbs at 17

- Impressive forechecker

- US (NY)

LW :: Nikolaj Ehlers :: QMJHL

- Speedy puck handler with a good wrister

- 6'0 163lbs at 18

- Denmark

C :: Eric Cornel :: OHL

- Mobile, two-way playmaker, uses his body

- 6'2 185lbs at 17

- Under weight for his size

- Canadian (Ont)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't see a topic for the 2014 NHL Draft, you can read Mckenzie's rankings.

My top 5:

1. Aaron Ekblad D, 6'3.5" 216

2. Sam Reinhardt C/LW 6'1" 185

3. William Nylander C/RW 5'11" 175

4. Leon Draisaitl C/LW 6'1.75" 208

5. Nick Ritchie RW 6'2" 230

*New Jersey devil's first round pick should be forfeited, they are 25th in the NHL standings.

habs draft picks:

1st round 2014 -Montreal

2nd round 2014 -Montreal

3rd round 2014 -Montreal

4th round 2014 -Montreal

5th round 2014 -Montreal

6th round 2014 -Montreal

7th round 2014 -Montreal

Pretty sure it's like this NOW

habs draft picks:

1st round 2014 -Montreal

3rd round 2014 -Montreal

4th round 2014 -Montreal

5th round 2014 -NYI

6th round 2014 -Montreal

7th round 2014 -Montreal

Trade 2nd for Vanek and 5th for Weaver

Gained 5th in Vanek deal

An interesting name in the draft this year, Brendan Lemieux. Sound familiar? . It should. Claude ended his career tied for third with Joe Sakic on the all-time NHL list with 19 game-winning goals in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for three different teams. He's rated at # 28,,, up from #38 right around the time we will be picking. this year he produced 27 goals, 53 points and 145 penalty minutes in 65 regular season games.

"I'm playing my best when I'm playing playoff-style hockey," Lemieux said. "That type of hockey includes making simple and smart plays and scoring a clutch goal every so often. It also means getting under the skin of the opposition, getting them agitated, really working hard and playing good defense."
"Brendan is a guy you can put in front of the net because he can agitate and be a pest; I think that's in his DNA," director of NHL Central Scouting Dan Marr said.
Hmmmm

My personal favourite's for the habs to draft

1. Jake Virtanen RW 6'1 208

Projected to go: 7-14 (Habs require to trade up)

Pros: Plays physical, excellent wrist shot and a fast skater.

Cons: Hockey Sense

Similar: Evander Kane

2. Alex Tuch RW 6'3 222

Projected to go: 15-20

Pros: Physical, Excellent board and in front of the net work, Strong

Cons: Skating, Offensive upside may not be that high

Similar: Bryan Bickell

3. Adrian Kempe LW 6'2 187

Projected to go: 23-35

Pros: Good shot, work ethic, loves to hit

Cons: limited offensive upside, add weight

Similar: Mika Zibanejad

An interesting name in the draft this year, Brendan Lemieux. Sound familiar? . It should. Claude ended his career tied for third with Joe Sakic on the all-time NHL list with 19 game-winning goals in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for three different teams. He's rated at # 28,,, up from #38 right around the time we will be picking. this year he produced 27 goals, 53 points and 145 penalty minutes in 65 regular season games.

"I'm playing my best when I'm playing playoff-style hockey," Lemieux said. "That type of hockey includes making simple and smart plays and scoring a clutch goal every so often. It also means getting under the skin of the opposition, getting them agitated, really working hard and playing good defense."
"Brendan is a guy you can put in front of the net because he can agitate and be a pest; I think that's in his DNA," director of NHL Central Scouting Dan Marr said.
Hmmmm

I said earlier on in this thread that I would gladly take BL if we were picking later in the 1st round...Ehlers and Ho Sang caught my eyes as well depending on where we pick in the 1st round...Going off the board for Lemieux would be alright with me though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived