The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #18 Sun, 10 Nov 2013 NYI, AT THE HABS, 6 PM EST, RDS, TSN TV,, TSN 690 RADIO

kinot-1

Missing Vanek, starting their back-up goalie, playing on back-to-back nights, on the road... The odds say this is a game we should win. That said, I agree that it'll come down to whether we come out with a good effort tonight against a pesky team. I think we will. My feeling is that the EGG line will have a big game and leads us to victory. Prediction: Habs 4-2 win.

You sure did call this one.

You sure did call this one.

Yeah, wow. That was absolutely spot on, Ted.

Just goes to show: on any given night, (some) hockey fans are more insightful, balanced, and interesting to hear from than the vast majority of the rather insular hockey media.

Going back to the goal kicked in, I think it's really more of a systemic issue with the way the NHL is ruling those types of calls. They've drawn a rather subjective line in the sand as to what is a kick and it makes very little sense to rule a deliberate movement with the foot towards the net as not being a kick. That needs to be addressed.

Didn't Therrien put out our fourth line on a power play to finish a game last year when we were winning?

One of the Rangers games after PK's slapshot injured a Ranger defenceman.

Going back to the goal kicked in, I think it's really more of a systemic issue with the way the NHL is ruling those types of calls. They've drawn a rather subjective line in the sand as to what is a kick and it makes very little sense to rule a deliberate movement with the foot towards the net as not being a kick. That needs to be addressed.

Unfortunately the NHL has been going in the direction of MORE subjective calls. I think we're in for even more of this kind of stuff in the future.

Guest habs1952

Huge game from the EGG line! Well deserved 3 star selections. Way to go Habs!

Basically the NHL has said

1. You are allowed to use your skate to put the puck in

2. You are allowed to move your skate towards the net

3. You are allowed to do this deliberately

That pretty much defines a kick. We can get into the nitty-gritty of which goals should and should not count but the whole business of kicking not being allowed is a sham. You can very easily kick a puck without lifting your skate in a pendulum-like motion, so the problem is that the rule doesn't take intentional kicking out of the game. Who cares if a guy uses a pendulum-like motion? This was very clearly a deliberate kick, that's what counts to me.

The NHL is as wishy-washy on kicked in goals as they are on supplemental discipline. That goal was definitly kicked in.

Archived