The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Christian Thomas

Manatee-X

Christian has been producing in Hamilton and when the injury bug hits again he will be one of the first to get a callup.

If he does, I hope its to replace another small player on the Habs... it would be more promising if he was 6 inches taller and 25 LBS. heavier.

If he does, I hope its to replace another small player on the Habs... it would be more promising if he was 6 inches taller and 25 LBS. heavier.

Yeah he'd be more promising as a Ranger seeing as we would have never gotten him if he was that big

• 1 month later...

I heard earlier in the week that they were planning on bringing him up.

I wondered when it would be made official.

I'm curious to see the kid play.

Yes he is. Since returning from an injury he has 8 points in 8 games.

Really curious to see the kid play.

If he's another Gallagher, size wouldn't be that much of an issue.

In practice today, playing on a line with Eller & Bourque, but Prust missed practice because of the flu. If prust plays tomorrow, will be interesting to see where Tomas plays. I think he needs to be on a line with some players who can score, vs. 4th line with Parros & Moen or something.

If Thomas plays, we then have a line-up featuring him, Desharnais, Briere, Gionta, and Gallagher. It's not to say that any one big guy is better than a little guy, but I just don't see how you can have so many small guys in the line-up. That's 5 of 12 forwards, and 5 of 11 if you consider Parros probably doesn't see much ice. MA Godin posted a stat the other day, saying there were 4 players in the entire Western conference who were 5'9" or smaller... with Thomas, the Habs now have 6 players, including 5 forwards. We have more small forwards than the entire Western conference has small players of any position. It's not a knock on any one player and it's not a statement that all our players need to be big, but it's just a sign of a poorly-constructed team when you feature that many players of that size.

If Thomas plays, we then have a line-up featuring him, Desharnais, Briere, Gionta, and Gallagher. It's not to say that any one big guy is better than a little guy, but I just don't see how you can have so many small guys in the line-up. That's 5 of 12 forwards, and 5 of 11 if you consider Parros probably doesn't see much ice. MA Godin posted a stat the other day, saying there were 4 players in the entire Western conference who were 5'9" or smaller... with Thomas, the Habs now have 6 players, including 5 forwards. We have more small forwards than the entire Western conference has small players of any position. It's not a knock on any one player and it's not a statement that all our players need to be big, but it's just a sign of a poorly-constructed team when you feature that many players of that size.

Or a sign that you're amateur scouting staff takes advantage of an inefficiency by taking highly skilled players in later rounds that many other teams pass up because of a size bias.

Or a sign that you're amateur scouting staff takes advantage of an inefficiency by taking highly skilled players in later rounds that many other teams pass up because of a size bias.

Except that three of them (Gionta, Briere, and Bouillon) were signed as free agents late in their careers. Desharnais was undrafted and re-signed, and Thomas was acquired in a trade this year, when we already knew we were going in with a team of smurfs. The only guy your statement applies to is Gallagher, who's the best of the lot. But again, it's not any one guy, it's that there's too much of the same. I'm all for drafting BPA, but a GM has to be able to trade from his strengths to acquire other complementary players and he certainly shouldn't be signing/re-signing free agents who don't fit into the big picture.

Except that three of them (Gionta, Briere, and Bouillon) were signed as free agents late in their careers. Desharnais was undrafted and re-signed, and Thomas was acquired in a trade this year, when we already knew we were going in with a team of smurfs. The only guy your statement applies to is Gallagher, who's the best of the lot. But again, it's not any one guy, it's that there's too much of the same. I'm all for drafting BPA, but a GM has to be able to trade from his strengths to acquire other complementary players and he certainly shouldn't be signing/re-signing free agents who don't fit into the big picture.

Agreed.

It's almost as if what MB says and does are 2 different things.

Have to get bigger, have to get bigger, then he signs a small player with a history of concussions.

What he says and his actions seem to contradict.

Thomas has promise, but if the plan is to get bigger, what are Thomas' chances of actually cracking the habs lineup?

Ya, I probably should have elaborated, because signing Bouillon and Briere was awful.

First impression... meh! Is that all there is in Hamilton? We're playing a team stacked with huge d-men and the call-up is Thomas to play 4th line minutes? Vs. T-Bay I would have liked to see Tarnasky a true 4th liner with size and a chip on his shulder vs. his old team.

It was such a small sample size that its tough to know what to think about CT, but I will say I was quite pleased to see his play without the puck. Some very solid back-checking and play without the puck that you dont expect from a young player.

Hopefully the next time he gets called up he gets a little more chance to actually do something.

I don't have an opinion on him yet. All I can say is he didn't play bad or good. Need more time to evaluate. He didn't help us, nor hurt us.

That's it, such a small sample size. At least he didn't stand out for something bad.

Like to see more of the kid, but he is another small forward.

It was such a small sample size that its tough to know what to think about CT, but I will say I was quite pleased to see his play without the puck. Some very solid back-checking and play without the puck that you dont expect from a young player.

Hopefully the next time he gets called up he gets a little more chance to actually do something.

I don't know if he played more than a preseason game while with the rags, regardless he has something to

take back with him. Bo made the most of his last time up, there is a noticeable difference in his game.

• 11 months later...

Part of a trade? I agree, its a suprising call up considering how his year has gone & the fact we dont really have any spots right now...

We don't have a spot up front unless someone is hurting that we're not aware of, but we did have that roster spot from the Allen demotion.

I don't mind it. I hear he's been okay and he should get a look while there's a spot open. He looked good in training camp and forwards seem to do get less points than expected under Lefebvre(Hudon and Andrighettho have been the exceptions).

We don't have a spot up front unless someone is hurting that we're not aware of, but we did have that roster spot from the Allen demotion.

I'm hoping he'll play instead of Malhotra. It would be a waste to just call him up to sit in the press box so I like to think that won't happen.

Archived