The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game 42, Montreal at Dallas, 8:30 est., RDS, FSSW, TV, and TSN 690 Radio

kinot-1

I have to give it to Dallas. They've really improved since they visited. They're a lot quicker. Not quite that 98-99-2000 dominant team, but whatever Ruff changed, it's worked.

An in-season adjustment causing a complete turnaround in play style. Huh. It can happen!

I don't have the benefit of being able to follow the team as closely as most on here, but essentially after one complete season at the helm is it really time to look at pulling the plug on Therrien? I mean 50 points at the halfway mark is a fairly solid number.

The point total is decent, no question. I think it's a matter of what one thinks the ceiling for this team is and how they can best go about getting there. I feel like a lot of our points have been ones we've been fortunate to earn and I don't like the way we've been playing, win or lose. In general, I just don't see Therrien as being able to resolve our current issues nor leading us to playoff success, so I figure making a move now makes more sense than waiting.

I have to give it to Dallas. They've really improved since they visited. They're a lot quicker. Not quite that 98-99-2000 dominant team, but whatever Ruff changed, it's worked.

An in-season adjustment causing a complete turnaround in play style. Huh. It can happen!

Has happened many times before. We're not talking about a bottom-feeder team playing out the season here (like when Cunneyworth took over). We're talking about finding a coach to take a good team to the next level, and lots of teams have had success doing that in the past few years. It doesn't mean the guy you're firing is a bad coach, it just means the situation can be improved.

The point total is decent, no question. I think it's a matter of what one thinks the ceiling for this team is and how they can best go about getting there. I feel like a lot of our points have been ones we've been fortunate to earn and I don't like the way we've been playing, win or lose. In general, I just don't see Therrien as being able to resolve our current issues nor leading us to playoff success, so I figure making a move now makes more sense than waiting.

Understood, I certainly have questioned some of his moves as well. Thank you for your explanation!

Has happened many times before. We're not talking about a bottom-feeder team playing out the season here (like when Cunneyworth took over). We're talking about finding a coach to take a good team to the next level, and lots of teams have had success doing that in the past few years. It doesn't mean the guy you're firing is a bad coach, it just means the situation can be improved.

I know, I'm just trying a little too had to be sarcastic. :lol:

Separating the process from the results in this season does not present a good report for Therrien's system with this team. For whatever reason, it is not working and I don't see it being jumpstarted. It goes both ways, actually. We've won a lot of games we probably shouldn't have, and lost/not gotten a point out of a lot of others. Including ones early on before we had a complete roster. It's part of why I'm not that down on the roster, and have little patience for Therrien's tactical quirks. I see a lot of guys being misused or used in a way that clearly isn't going to be optimal.

I'm far from ready to call this a lost season.

Would like to see Eller and Galchenyuk get more ice time. I think both guys have been bright spots during our struggles, skating well, good on the forecheck, and using their size to protect the puck. Wonder if one idea would be to double-shift Pacioretty with those two guys once in a while. Maybe split time on the Eller wing between Pacman and Prust (who slots in on the 4th line as well), and it opens up the chance to go 7 D. I usually hate the idea of 7 D, but I'd also ask myself how often we're using the likes of Briere, Bourque, Bournival, White, etc. and whether it may make more sense to put a player like Beaulieu in the line-up as a 7th D man, get him on the 2nd PP wave and work him into low-risk situations at even strength.

Archived