22 members have voted

1. 1. What should Marc Bergevin do?

• Stay the course with Therrien
    • Fire Therrien, hire Guy Boucher
    • Fire Therrien, promote Gerard Gallant
    • Fire Therrien, hire someone else
    • Nothing, Geoff Molson should fire them both

Guest habs1952

Fire Therrien and Promote Gallant. Only because I don't know who is out there as a coach. At one point during the game Therrien looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I think he's lost. This team isn't built for the dump and chase hockey Therrien has them playing.

I'm glad this is back!

I voted Fire Therrien and promote Guy Boucher because

1. Therrien needs to go.

2. I don't think Gallant would actually change anything, and I have no idea who else is out there.

And MB hasn't been great, but I don't think he's been so bad he's worth firing. We'll see how the deadline/offseason goes.

Now maybe it has something to do with having to sit through another game like last night's, but I said 'fire them both'. I know that not everyone agrees, but in my mind getting rid of Therrien is an obvious decision. It will stay this way for me unless he does away with this "dump and chase" mindset, because no matter what other decisions he does or does not make I just don't see this team ever winning with that strategy.

I don't like Bergevin for the same reason. Basically I can't see any reason for Therrien changing a winning system other than that he's overreacting to our loss to Ottawa in the playoffs last year. Bergevin's off-season, in which he exclusively targeted size, character, and 'playoff performers', leads me to believe that he had the same overreaction. In my mind I can see our management team sitting down to a meeting after last year's playoffs and deciding between them that things had to change, coming up with this as the new plan. Well it's a terrible plan, it's not working, and based on their comments that things are fine neither one of them seems likely to change their mind anytime soon.

I know it's not really 'fair' to Bergevin, as he hasn't been given a lot of time, but I don't see this getting better with him at the helm and I don't want to wait through a few years of wasted time before getting rid of him. Better to start putting things on the right track now, before we have a real problem.

Edit: I also know that in the real world the optics would be really bad to fire a GM so soon after bringing him on, so I know that my vote isn't necessarily realistic. For the purposes of the Montreal Canadiens Fan Forum, though, it's still what I want ;)

For now, I am voting to 'Stay the course with Therrien.' But, only for now. I'm not a huge fan of mid-season coaching changes unless you really feel that you have a Cup contender. Despite the team's decline I still think Therrien can get them into the post-season. We're not going to win the Cup, but I think we can afford to have a little patience with the coaching staff right now. Unless Bergevin sees someone out there he REALLY wants to coach the team instead, I don't see the need to replace Therrien at this juncture with some other arbitrary French speaking candidate.

I picked option #2, because I really feel that GB could get more out of this team. I chose that before I had a chance to read this article about him, dated May 7, 2013, in SB nation. Now I am more convinced that he should be our next coach. Caveat, ,,,,,,, unless there's someone else out there better suited.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2013/5/7/4307366/nhl-guy-boucher-avalanche-coach

I'm not sold on Boucher, so option 2 is a no go for me. Choice #4,,, only if we had a candidate in mind that was more then a stop gap measure. As for choice #3,,,,maybe as a temporary solution, but after the RC disaster last time, i'm very leary of that option. Pretty much leaves 1 and 5 as choices but #5 leaves me with the same concerns as those i've already noted.

I'm really on the fence on this one.

For now, I am voting to 'Stay the course with Therrien.' But, only for now. I'm not a huge fan of mid-season coaching changes unless you really feel that you have a Cup contender. Despite the team's decline I still think Therrien can get them into the post-season. We're not going to win the Cup, but I think we can afford to have a little patience with the coaching staff right now. Unless Bergevin sees someone out there he REALLY wants to coach the team instead, I don't see the need to replace Therrien at this juncture with some other arbitrary French speaking candidate.

I agree with you here, but I also think that we've got enough of a buffer that another coach could probably get them into the post-season as well. If we're going to make the change, I'd actually rather do it mid-season in a year like this one (where we're probably not going to do much damage) so that he could hit the ground running next year.

I agree with Manatee and JR.

Rarely does a team completely turn around with a new coach. It does happen, but the way the habs interview and what they're really looking for, not the best coach but one who speaks French, it's going to be more of the same with another coach. He still brought our team from last to 2nd in a short season, PK won the Norris on his watch and both our rookies from last season did well until they decided it was more important to get DD going, even at the expense of the rest of the team.

Same garbage is going to happen with another coach, until they're willing to rethink their politics.

Sure, the entire coaching staff (at least behind the bench, MT's team) are Quebec born and French speaking. But really, does anyone know their qualifications?

I actually played with Martin Lapointe and was happy for him, but he's only been retired for a handful of years, does anyone know if he coached at any other level prior to joining the habs?

I think he may have work in the wings organization, but if so, I think it was more along the lines of administration, but don't know for sure.

JJD is another xhab, but again, what are his qualifications, is being an xhab and Quebec born the biggest motive for hiring him?

I don't care what nationality our coaching staff is, as long as they have the right qualifications and have some experience (even in the minors) before coming to Montreal.

Even if you look back to the Habs glory days, we still had Bowman behind the bench, Dick Irvin Sr, Sam Pollock and Toe Blake. Most weren't Quebec born or even spoke French, but they were good at what they did.

This is a new era, to have a competitive team, you need to have the best players (the cap will allow) and the best people running things behind the scenes. Nationality and language should be the least of their concerns when building a team and competent staff.

Guest habs1952

I don't know why everyone is in love with Guy Boucher

His team's record got worse each year in the NHL, the system he employed was fine in the AHL but didn't work in the NHL

And I think much like Therrien ... when things started to go bad, he was not able to adapt his coaching style

Adapting your coaching style is admitting you were wrong.

Pittsburgh turned their season around after firing Therrien. They had a worse record than us at the ime but were equally as bad, the only reason our record is better is because of Price.

We don't have a Bylsma waiting unfortunately but I think Guy Boucher or somebody else will definitely get more out of this team. Because it's not that hard, we're playing terrible.

I'm still hoping that Therrien gets back ton normal which is why I considered voting for the 1st one, but he has shown no indication of it.

Boucher probably isn't the only good coach available, but if your gonna limit yourself to bilingual coaches than I think he's the best of the bunch. He seems to like a system that would fit more with this team then the Bolts. He needs good D men moving the puck and joining the play. That's what I heard, at least.

Pittsburgh turned their season around after firing Therrien. They had a worse record than us at the ime but were equally as bad, the only reason our record is better is because of Price.

We don't have a Bylsma waiting unfortunately but I think Guy Boucher or somebody else will definitely get more out of this team. Because it's not that hard, we're playing terrible.

We could have a Bylsma waiting in Boucher. I don't know too much about him other than that I was impressed with what he did in Tampa. The problem was that opposing teams started to figure out his system, and the team he had just wasn't very good, so he couldn't keep them afloat. He's only had about 200 games coaching the NHL IIRC, so to write him off would be silly because he had so much potential coming in. Most coaches are most successful during their second or third stints anyway. Not sure why people don't like him.

Though I must say I don't know of basically any other coaches.

I agree. I think Crawford would definitely be an upgrade.

My only concern with Crawford ...

From 96 to 2006 he helmed the Avalanche and Canucks .. both teams with lots of talent, made the playoffs almost every year and won the cup with the Avs

From 2007 - 2011 he coached the Kings and Stars and failed to make the playoffs at all.

Bad teams? Or an indication of coach from an earlier era (the 90's) not being able to adapt to the more modern game?

Now maybe it has something to do with having to sit through another game like last night's, but I said 'fire them both'. I know that not everyone agrees, but in my mind getting rid of Therrien is an obvious decision. It will stay this way for me unless he does away with this "dump and chase" mindset, because no matter what other decisions he does or does not make I just don't see this team ever winning with that strategy.

I don't like Bergevin for the same reason. Basically I can't see any reason for Therrien changing a winning system other than that he's overreacting to our loss to Ottawa in the playoffs last year. Bergevin's off-season, in which he exclusively targeted size, character, and 'playoff performers', leads me to believe that he had the same overreaction. In my mind I can see our management team sitting down to a meeting after last year's playoffs and deciding between them that things had to change, coming up with this as the new plan. Well it's a terrible plan, it's not working, and based on their comments that things are fine neither one of them seems likely to change their mind anytime soon.

I know it's not really 'fair' to Bergevin, as he hasn't been given a lot of time, but I don't see this getting better with him at the helm and I don't want to wait through a few years of wasted time before getting rid of him. Better to start putting things on the right track now, before we have a real problem.

Edit: I also know that in the real world the optics would be really bad to fire a GM so soon after bringing him on, so I know that my vote isn't necessarily realistic. For the purposes of the Montreal Canadiens Fan Forum, though, it's still what I want ;)

I'm with Manatee-X on this one. I'm of the mindset that a GM should be able to come in and make positive changes right away. The Habs are not an organization where GMs or coaches come in and treat it as a training ground. Everyone says that the GM will make mistakes and more time should be given to let them find their way. The same applies to the coach. I say no. This is the Habs! We should be expecting nothing but the best people for our management. If you hire someone who is green, then you better make sure that they really know what they are doing. I think that Molson went out and hired MB because he's french and he was linked to the Hawks. I think Habs needed a veteran GM. Imagine someone like Pat Quinn here. If Molson could only take off his french-coloured glasses.

My only concern with Crawford ...

From 96 to 2006 he helmed the Avalanche and Canucks .. both teams with lots of talent, made the playoffs almost every year and won the cup with the Avs

From 2007 - 2011 he coached the Kings and Stars and failed to make the playoffs at all.

Bad teams? Or an indication of coach from an earlier era (the 90's) not being able to adapt to the more modern game?

I remember that he seemed to really like goalie Dan Cloutier in Vancouver. I never understood it. He sucked. Then in LA he brought him with him. When that is your number one goalie it's hard to win games. But yes, I understand your apprehension. What are you gonna do when the first criteria for a coach is bilingualism?

Any of the "stick with Therrien" crowd swaying a bit after another miserable performance tonight and another rose-colored review from the coach afterwards?

I didn't stick around for MT's post-game, but I read it on Habs I/O, this morning. Rose-coloured it bang-on. :blink: . Well hello MT,,, the only part of that statement I agree with, is the last part "the result just wasn't there".

"“A coach asks his team to work hard and compete,” Michel Therrien said. “We did tonight. The result just wasn’t there.”

Archived