The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Trade Front

kinot-1

As the title implies,now that i's getting close to the trade deadline,, who would you be willing to trade, before, or at the trade deadline? Also, what would you like in return for said player, picks, prospects, or a roster player, or combination thereof? It doesn't matter who.

I'll start this off with my initial thought.

At the risk of having bricks thrown at me by CRB and Missmarkov, I propose we trade Markov < runs for cover hiding_zpsd801a12b.gif >.

Here's my reasoning. He's 35 years old, he's, IMO, at the peak of his trade value at this time, he is making $5,750,000 this year, a UFA, and he might want another 5 mil. over a long term (3-5 years, my guess). Next year the cap should go up to around 70 mil. Pk will hit the jackpot next year and will, or should want 6-8 Mil. per year. Nathan Beaulieu is (IMO) very close to NHL ready, and is cheaper,

Comments?

Guest mrsmarkov

You

As the title implies,now that i's getting close to the trade deadline,, who would you be willing to trade, before, or at the trade deadline? Also, what would you like in return for said player, picks, prospects, or a roster player, or combination thereof? It doesn't matter who.
At the risk of having bricks thrown at me by CRB and Missmarkov, I propose we trade Markov < runs for cover hiding_zpsd801a12b.gif >.
Here's my reasoning. He's 35 years old, he's, IMO, at the peak of his trade value at this time, he is making $5,750,000 this year, a UFA, and he might want another $5 mil. over a long term (3-5 years, my guess). Next year the cap should go up to around $70 mil. Pk will hit the jackpot next year and will, or should want 6-8 Mil. per year. Nathan Beaulieu is (IMO) very close to NHL ready, and is cheaper,
Comments?

You better start running for the hills and hide in a cave like Osama suppousedly did. I didn't even finish reading what you wrote. I'm grabbing my chainsaw and I'm coming for you :)

Guest mrsmarkov

You

You better start running for the hills and hide in a cave like Osama suppousedly did. I didn't even finish reading what you wrote. I'm grabbing my chainsaw and I'm coming for you :)

< looks up chainsaw resistant suit on google >

Bahahahaha I actually looked that up to see if it existed haha

I may throw bricks at you kinot , not because of your trade suggestion but because you should have known to create this thread in the hot stove section, not the general one.

That being said, I obviously dont agree with your suggestion, Markov should retire as a Hab. Beaulieu is NHL ready but quite far from replacewhatmarkovbrings ready anyway

Here's my reasoning. He's 35 years old, he's, IMO, at the peak of his trade value at this time, he is making $5,750,000 this year, a UFA, and he might want another 5 mil. over a long term (3-5 years, my guess). Next year the cap should go up to around 70 mil. Pk will hit the jackpot next year and will, or should want 6-8 Mil. per year. Nathan Beaulieu is (IMO) very close to NHL ready, and is cheaper,
Comments?

We have other defenceman to use Bealieu ahead of than Markov (Boullion and Murray). Hopefully our Dcorps next year is Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Bealieu, Tinordi/Pateryn

I'm not positive but he has a CRB for sure.

You're confused, that's Plekanec. ;)

As for the trade deadline, it's difficult to say what I'd like to do because I don't feel like we've had a good enough chance to see what the current members of the organization can do. We haven't seen whether Galchenyuk can play centre, we haven't seen how Eller would do with top line wingers and we haven't see how players like LeBlanc and our huge contingent of defensive prospects can play in the NHL. These questions have a direct impact on the trade deadline in my opinion. For example, should we be shopping an upcoming UFA like Diaz or trying to sign him? It depends a lot on how ready our defensive prospects are to take over next year.

Right now I'd obviously be happy to get rid of the usual trade bait we hear come up all the time (Murray, Bouillon, Bourque, Desharnais, etc.) but I don't know how feasible that is in reality without taking on equally bad contracts. Another obvious target for me would be someone like Gionta. First I'd try and get a sense of what he'll be looking for in a contract: if he's willing to take a decent pay cut then I'd try and get him resigned, but if he's looking for similar salary on a multi-year deal then I'd look to trade him as a rental. Again I'm not sure exactly how much we'd get for him, but if we're not going to resign him next year than we're better off to at least recoup something.

Finally, although it might go without saying seeing as how so far I've only been talking about shipping people out, I wouldn't be interested in adding anybody to our team unless they're on a multi-year deal. I don't think we're in any position to be considering rentals or giving away draft picks ourselves.

I'm not expecting much movement this year. The trend seems to be moving away from picking up these bandaid players at the trade deadline. We saw fewer transactions last year and i expect asking prices will put a damper on things again this trade deadline.

Guest habs1952
Comments?

No comment but I do hope King Kong sits on that chair your hiding under. :lol: :lol:

Comments?

We aren't ready to lose Markov just yet.

Let him stay with the habs for another year or two just so he could teach Beaulieu the tricks of the trade.

Beaulieu could and will benefit from having Markov as a "teacher."

Kinot, I brought up trading Markov when he first went down with the 1st knee injury.

He still has value offensively and with the right partner, decent defensively.

My only issue is, after PK and Marky there's a real drop off.

We go from PK/Marky who are top line dmen to bottom pairing(which we have a plethora of).

We'd have to get a top 4 dman in return.

He is going to slow and (gawd forbid) eventually have another injury. Until then we have to cross our fingers and hope of of our youngins are developed and ready to go once Marky can no longer play like a top pairing dman.

I think we would get a lot of interest, even with his age and list of injuries.

Offensive dmen with marky's talent are hard to come by in the NHL. Most are locked up by their teams and the ones who want to test free agency are asking for the moon.

We should definitely be listening to offers. If we get something substantial, then pull the trigger, but I dont think we should be looking to move him just yet. Give Beaulieu, Pateryn, Tinordi some time to develop first. I think, sign him to a 2 year deal this season if possible, then maybe look into trading him next off season or deadline with 1 year left on his contract.

At the risk of turning this into another "if i were GM" I think the answer to who we should move really comes down to philosphy - that is: what is the philosophy of this team (and Bergevin). If the rumors about colorado are true (Avs want Bourque, MB wanted McGinn) , it sounds like he's interested in moving vets for youth, which I agree with.

I would consider the following "untouchable" - Price, Subban, Patches, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and some of the high end hamilton prospects.

I would listen to offers (but they would have to blow me away) for: Plekanec, Markov, Bournival, Emelin

Pretty much anyone else would be fair game.

I would actively shop: Bourque. DD (or) Briere, Gio, Diaz. I would certainly listen to offers for any other player not listed above. But then I would also scratch Murroullion & play Pateryn, Tinordi and Bealieu. ;)

I know that some would see this as "throwing in the towel" in that we would most likely be a weaker team, come playoff time but imagine you can turn guys who likely wont resign with us into a prospect only a year or 2 away from having value on our squad? Makes sense to me. We're still at least that far away from being "true contenders" imho.

My number one goal, would be to try to find SOMEONE who is a true #2-3 dman. I know he wouldnt come cheap but this team would be sooooooo much better with just one more guy who sits somewhere between PK, Markov & the rest of the bunch, in hockey sense and ability.

CRB?? What's that?

DD and RB of course, but I think we all agree there.

My thinking has always been that this team has really improved and if a couple of our prospects work out we can be contenders but we are not there yet. Certainly not this year. Markov and Gionta either have to be traded or signed. My preference would be to trade both of them. I think they both add value to a serious contender but don't have much left in the tank. I'm thinking Markov can fetch a first and Gionta a second... or maybe there is a prospect our scouts would love to bring into our organization.

The big trade (and this is when people will start throwing stuff) would be to trade Plekanec. I'm not completely sold on this idea, and would have to be for more than just picks. My thinking is that if we trade him we can let Eller center the first line, DD becomes less problematic because he isn't holding back other players and continues on the second, and Chucky can finally center the third. I also worry that Plekanec doesn't have much more time left, and I don't think this team will be ready to win next year either. It's a risky proposition because Eller and Gal might not be ready for the bigger roles... but then I think if they're not ready we weren't going to win anyway. Having said that, I think we can get a big enough return from Markov and Gionta, to hold off on trading Plekanec unless it's for the right player (winger with size who can score - going to take more than just Plekanec but could be a major piece).

We aren't ready to lose Markov just yet.

Let him stay with the habs for another year or two just so he could teach Beaulieu the tricks of the trade.

Beaulieu could and will benefit from having Markov as a "teacher."

But what if he's looking for 4-5 yrs at $5.5M are we still interested in retaining him? For me, it would be a definite no. If we ever want to get any value for Marky it would have to be now while his value is highest.

Beaulieu can learn the tricks of the trade from our defensive coordinators and coaches.

CRB?? What's that?

DD and RB of course, but I think we all agree there.

My thinking has always been that this team has really improved and if a couple of our prospects work out we can be contenders but we are not there yet. Certainly not this year. Markov and Gionta either have to be traded or signed. My preference would be to trade both of them. I think they both add value to a serious contender but don't have much left in the tank. I'm thinking Markov can fetch a first and Gionta a second... or maybe there is a prospect our scouts would love to bring into our organization.

The big trade (and this is when people will start throwing stuff) would be to trade Plekanec. I'm not completely sold on this idea, and would have to be for more than just picks. My thinking is that if we trade him we can let Eller center the first line, DD becomes less problematic because he isn't holding back other players and continues on the second, and Chucky can finally center the third. I also worry that Plekanec doesn't have much more time left, and I don't think this team will be ready to win next year either. It's a risky proposition because Eller and Gal might not be ready for the bigger roles... but then I think if they're not ready we weren't going to win anyway. Having said that, I think we can get a big enough return from Markov and Gionta, to hold off on trading Plekanec unless it's for the right player (winger with size who can score - going to take more than just Plekanec but could be a major piece).

While I dont love the idea of moving Plekanec I do think you could possibly get an established #2-3 dman for him & I think ...i *think* that would be more valueable for us, going forward than plekanec. Its a risk though, no doubt about it. I love Tomas & would like to see him retire a hab, but at a certain point you have to consider the greater good of the team. There's little doubt that to the right team, the return for him could be substantial.

At the risk of turning this into another "if i were GM" I think the answer to who we should move really comes down to philosphy - that is: what is the philosophy of this team (and Bergevin). If the rumors about colorado are true (Avs want Bourque, MB wanted McGinn) , it sounds like he's interested in moving vets for youth, which I agree with.

I would consider the following "untouchable" - Price, Subban, Patches, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and some of the high end hamilton prospects.

I would listen to offers (but they would have to blow me away) for: Plekanec, Markov, Bournival, Emelin

Pretty much anyone else would be fair game.

I would actively shop: Bourque. DD (or) Briere, Gio, Diaz. I would certainly listen to offers for any other player not listed above. But then I would also scratch Murroullion & play Pateryn, Tinordi and Bealieu. ;)

I know that some would see this as "throwing in the towel" in that we would most likely be a weaker team, come playoff time but imagine you can turn guys who likely wont resign with us into a prospect only a year or 2 away from having value on our squad? Makes sense to me. We're still at least that far away from being "true contenders" imho.

My number one goal, would be to try to find SOMEONE who is a true #2-3 dman. I know he wouldnt come cheap but this team would be sooooooo much better with just one more guy who sits somewhere between PK, Markov & the rest of the bunch, in hockey sense and ability.

Out of your untouchable list, I would only put Price in there. I would have a sub-category for the other untouchables called the "stupid-not-to-entertain" category. Example, Subban for Seth Jones and Philip Forsberg.

But what if he's looking for 4-5 yrs at $5.5M are we still interested in retaining him? For me, it would be a definite no. If we ever want to get any value for Marky it would have to be now while his value is highest.

Beaulieu can learn the tricks of the trade from our defensive coordinators and coaches.

That's the issue, Marky wants to retire a hab. I don't think he and his agent would go for year or two deal, they want one that'll bring him to retirement, probably with a NT/NM-C.

So it's keep him and give him the years he wants (keep our fingers crossed he stays healthy) or let him walk, possibly trading him before the deadline.

Especially now he's shown he can still produce offensively and he's still a value to the team, he and his agent will want to make sure he's signed right up to his retirement party.

"But what if he's looking for 4-5 yrs at $5.5M are we still interested in retaining him? For me, it would be a definite no. If we ever want to get any value for Marky it would have to be now while his value is highest.

Beaulieu can learn the tricks of the trade from our defensive coordinators and coaches."

In the case where his demands are too high, then yes I do agree with you. Obviously if such were the case, it would be better to trade him and try to get something for him.

However, at this point, if Markov leaves, who replaces him?

He is such a vital part of the PP and PK and Beaulieu isn't ready. I do believe that with time, in a scenario where Markov retires with this team, that Beaulieu could be ready to replace him. Maybe less on the PK, but that is also an area he could improve on.

I just think Beau could really benefit from playing with Markov, but if the asking price is too high, then I agree that we should take advantage of what value he has.

Out of your untouchable list, I would only put Price in there. I would have a sub-category for the other untouchables called the "stupid-not-to-entertain" category. Example, Subban for Seth Jones and Philip Forsberg.

Yeah, i hear you. Even price isnt untouchable though. If pittsburgh offered us crosby, letang & fleury for price & bourque, im pretty sure we'd take it :) You're right though. Guys like gallagher and eller for example would be 'touchable' if a deal absolutely blew me away but it would have to be very very special & I dont see any of those guys commanding more than what they're worth - which is really what it would have to take.

That's the issue, Marky wants to retire a hab. I don't think he and his agent would go for year or two deal, they want one that'll bring him to retirement, probably with a NT/NM-C.

I dont think he has an agent any more. As for wanting to retire a hab - its a nice thought & if it all works out, great. I wouldnt be actively looking to move him because right now we have subban...gap...markov...big gap...everyone else. If you move markov, even for a dman as good or better than him, we still have huge holes in our defense. Ideally we'd add a defensman for our top 3 and KEEP markov. Not sure how plausible that is though.

Archived