The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bye bye Diaz! Hello Dale Weise

WantMoreCups

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=703480

MONTRÉAL Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced Monday the acquisition of right winger Dale Weise from the Vancouver Canucks, in return for defenseman Raphael Diaz.

A young veteran with 162 games of experience at the NHL level, Dale Weise is a winger with a physical style of play who brings additional toughness and grit to our group of forwards, said Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin.

Weise, 25, has collected 12 points (3 goals, 9 assists) in 44 games since the beginning of the 2013-14 season. One of his goals was scored on the powerplay. The 602, 210 lbs. forward has recorded 42 penalty minutes and 65 hits, while maintaining a 7:45 ice time per game. He has registered 26 points (10 goals, 16 assists) and 185 penalty minutes in 162 NHL career games with the New York Rangers and the Canucks.

Weise, who hails from Winnipeg, was the Rangers fourth round selection, 111th overall, at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. A graduate of the WHLs Swift Current Broncos, Weise recorded 111 points (51 goals, 60 assists) in 173 regular-season contests in the juniors from 2005 to 2008.

Signed as a free agent on May 13, 2011, Diaz registered 11 helpers in 46 games this season. He has blocked 100 shots and averaged 18:53 ice time per game.

I was just thinking today that we had too much skill and not enough grinder on this team. Hooray!

I dont love the trade but looking forward, if Diaz wasnt going to play and our fourth line now becomes 3 of: Moen-Prust-White-Weise (meaning Parros sits more) then Im ok with it.

That's a much better fourth line, sure. But there's no legitimate reason to play Parros as it is. It's an (IMO) extremely questionable move to "fix" another extremely questionable move.

So we misused a serviceable DMan when our D is weak and then traded him for a 4th liner. Weise is the typical 4th line/fringe NHL forward. Big, energy but not very good defensively or offensively so a limited role. When this team is totally healthy it's actually pretty hard to envision him in the lineup.

Real issues with the asset management of this regime so far.

He'll be a fan favourite, lots of energy, good grit etc. but that isnt going to help us win lots of games imho.

We'll he be a regular starter once White is back, or just another member of the rotating press box?

So we misused a serviceable DMan when our D is weak and then traded him for a 4th liner. Weise is the typical 4th line/fringe NHL forward. Big, energy but not very good defensively or offensively so a limited role. When this team is totally healthy it's actually pretty hard to envision him in the lineup.

Real issues with the asset management of this regime so far.

I agree with most of what you're saying but I disagree with the part about not good defensively. He's not plekanec or moen but I could see him taking a shift on our PK. he used to play a fair bit on the vancouver PK last year (although not so much this season i think). He's definitely not great offensively but I think his defensive game is undervalued...but we'll see how that translates to our squad.

We'll he be a regular starter once White is back, or just another member of the rotating press box?

Tough to say. He was on his 3rd season with vancouver as a nearly full-season player, although they tend to value their top 6 more than their bottom 6 so... :)

What a disaster this year has become. Diaz is a top 4 D and we traded him away for a 4th line grinder.

I mean if it means less Parros that's great but it means more Murray which is a huge problem. Doesn't bode well for this management team's talent evaluation, Diaz is the kind of player a team like Chicago would keep on their roster because he drives possession, whether or not he's "soft". Well, good for Diaz I guess to be sent to Vancouver, a team run in a way that appreciates talent like him over lumbering veterans who can't skate or mlve the puck.

I mean great that we got some grit but it came at the expense of a top 4 defender which is ridiculous. At least we'll win a line brawl on the way to our 1st round exit this year.

Not sure what to think of this move...

It's obvious that Diaz's value has gone down since last year, but I still thought we'd be able to get more than a 4th liner for him.

I think Weise has a bit of an offensive upside we have yet to see from him in the big leagues.

He put up good number in junior and the AHL.

As is this case for most signings and trades made by Bergevin, only time will tell if it was worth it.

Honestly, I think a lot of people here have an over inflated opinion of Diaz. He was above average defensively, smaller, and good offensively. He's a Wisniewski/MA-Bergeron type player .. a 5th/6th pairing dman for ES and one of your PP guys. That's it. If he was a legitimate top 4 dman, why exactly did he sit on the bench for a month without being traded? MB's phone would be ringing off the hook with offers if a legitimate top4 dman was a healthy scratch for weeks on end.

So we trade a 5th/6th dman for a 4th (possibly 3rd at times) energy player ... great trade? nope ... acceptable trade? sure

I agree with most of what you're saying but I disagree with the part about not good defensively. He's not plekanec or moen but I could see him taking a shift on our PK. he used to play a fair bit on the vancouver PK last year (although not so much this season i think). He's definitely not great offensively but I think his defensive game is undervalued...but we'll see how that translates to our squad.

Well he was 19th on their team last year in SHTOI/ game so he was used pretty sparingly. I wouldn't advise using him on the PK but I actually don't consider defensive play on the PK and 5 on 5 to be nearly the same thing and he's just not that good defensively 5 on 5 in my opinion. He's not a guy you'd put in a defensive role, it's not so much to say that he'll hurt you defensively but this is a guy who specials neither offensive or defensive, which is the definition of a 4th line player (or worse).

Diaz is probably at worst our 4th best DMan, despite the usage by the coach. Just really stunning asset management here.

Diaz is UFA this summer and the way he was being used,,,doubtful he would have signed another deal. I guess we got something while the getting was good but it does seem like Vancouver is getting the better player in the deal based on what i'm reading so far.

I mean great that we got some grit but it came at the expense of a top 4 defender which is ridiculous. At least we'll win a line brawl on the way to our 1st round exit this year.

If Diaz is really a top4 defender in this league ... then MB's phone would have been constantly ringing considering Diaz has been a healthy scratch for weeks. We would have had a better trade than this for sure, this isn't just MB saying Diaz isn't a top 4 players ... it's the other 29 GM's not thinking he's one either, or there would have a decent offer at least at some point in the last few weeks.

Diaz and Weber playing on the same team now... I cringe at the thought of that!

Well we watch a team that employs Murray and Bouillon so we shouldn't have to waste our time cringing at what other teams do.

Archived