The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week - February 9

BigTed3

Canadiens in Sochi  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Habs player will shine the most at the Sochi Olympics?

• Carey Price
    • P.K. Subban
    • Tomas Plekanec
    • Max Pacioretty
    • Andrei Markov
    • Alexei Emelin
    • Peter Budaj

PK. Just a gut feeling, though I think Carey, Pacioretty, Pleks, and Markov will all be huge for their teams as well. I think Pacioretty will work his way into the American top 6 and Markov will be one of the best offensive defensemen in the tournament.

But PK is undeniable, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't wind up playing huge minutes in our top-4 before the end of the tournament.

If Carey is given the starter job, no question for me that he'll shine the most. But that is a big if, even with his recent strong play.

That's part of the gamble. This isn't just a question about who the best overall player is or who could play the best, you have to factor in the opportunity they're going to get playing for their respective teams.

I'm really conflicted. Plekky's the captain of Czech Team, and while they're really underrated, I'm still not sure about their chances with their goaltending. By default he'd probably have the best Olympics, as he'll have a greater chance to. I voted for Carey, though, because I think he's got the most potential to be dominant. But everyone's reservations are right. He may not get the opportunity.

Well I fully agree that IF Carey gets the opportunity to be the #1, he'll have the best chance of being a star performer. But I think Babcock is pretty set on going with what he knows and that means it's Luongo's job to lose. I can't see Luongo losing that job against Norway or Austria, so it'll come down to how he plays against Finland... after that, it's one loss and you're out, so Carey may not get a lot of games barring a Luongo breakdown or injury. Similarly, I think Subban has loads of talent but I'm pretty sure Canada will mistakenly park him behind the likes of Bouwmeester and Vlasic just because the latter two are lefties. So Subban's going to have to work his way up the line-up too.

I chose Markov because I think he's playing on a team with the potential to make the semis or finals and because he's going to be the de facto #1 offensive defenceman on a team with some real offensive weapons up front. I think he'll have a lot of success on their powerplay.

It's hard to dissociate the success of a player to the potential success of the team he plays on. Being a big fish in a small pound brings no glory. Based on that, my pick would be Carey but ... If I go for the player only, I pick Markov. Yeah yeah, I know, what a surprise eh? Well, like Ted, I think he'll be a great offensive weapon at Russia's blue line but more than this, I think his quiet leadership will calm down a squad that tends to play all over the place when under pressure. When Russia plays as a team, they're quite amazing and I think Markie will play a big role to keep them on track.

I picked Peter. Not because I feel that the Slovaks will win a medal, but because I feel that for several reason he "could" be the goalie that carries his team the farthest.

He will be rested,,, he, IMO, is underrated, most of the other teams will have a very good D in front of them, and he would, or should know that if the Slovaks are to go very far, he will have to steal some games.

Guest mrsmarkov

I picked Peter. Not because I feel that the Slovaks will win a medal, but because I feel that for several reason he "could" be the goalie that carries his team the farthest.

He will be rested,,, he, IMO, is underrated, most of the other teams will have a very good D in front of them, and he would, or should know that if the Slovaks are to go very far, he will have to steal some games.

Agreed. Budaj is very underrated. I'm proud to have him as our backup goalie and I feel at ease whenever he gets the chance to play. He doesn't make me nervous like a lot of our past backups. I believe he's the perfect goalie to steal games for the Slovaks because he's smart and great under pressure. He's not fancy...he's simple and just stops the puck. That's all I ask for. I really want him to be the starter for Slovakia even though I really love watching Halak play. But I truly do believe Halak will be the starter. Either way, the Slovaks are in a good position in net. Whoever the goalie chosen is has to be the best defenseman for team Slovakia.

The only problem is that Jaro is clearly ahead of him on the depth chart. He would have to fail miserably for Budaj to even get a shot

I went with Mr Plekanec. He's had great success playing internationally in the past and I don't see that changing this year. Plus I just love watching him in these tournaments where he's given a bit more freedom to let loose offensively. If they've got him back with Jagr again this year then I think he's going to be tough to beat.

I went with Mr Plekanec. He's had great success playing internationally in the past and I don't see that changing this year. Plus I just love watching him in these tournaments where he's given a bit more freedom to let loose offensively. If they've got him back with Jagr again this year then I think he's going to be tough to beat.

Yeah, I hope he's with Jagr and they tear it up. Then maybe MB will look into acquiring Jagr.

Guest mrsmarkov

Yeah, I hope he's with Jagr and they tear it up. Then maybe MB will look into acquiring Jagr.

Oh nothing would make me happier. All along during the summer I was praying we'd get Jagr, not Briere...ugh even though he is doing better..he seems to be starting to adjust. I watched every game Jagr played in last season and I felt horrible for him because he worked hard every game and shot at the net like no other, but that unfortunately didn't appear on the score sheet. I'm very happy for him that he's having success this season, I just wish he was ours.

Oh nothing would make me happier. All along during the summer I was praying we'd get Jagr, not Briere...ugh even though he is doing better..he seems to be starting to adjust. I watched every game Jagr played in last season and I felt horrible for him because he worked hard every game and shot at the net like no other, but that unfortunately didn't appear on the score sheet. I'm very happy for him that he's having success this season, I just wish he was ours.

Well he's having a fantastic olympics so far...

Guest mrsmarkov

Well he's having a fantastic olympics so far...

I know. I've been watching every game. It's great to see, especially at his age. He can definitely outplay most young kids.

But PK is undeniable, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't wind up playing huge minutes in our top-4 before the end of the tournament.

Babcock thinks otherwise. Scratched for Game 1 and 3 ... doubt we'll see him in the lineup the rest of the tournament. Ludicrous that the defending Norris Trophy winner is on the outside looking in.

Archived