The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #62 Sat, 1 Mar 2014 Maple Leafs @ Canadiens 7:00 PM CBC, RDS

thumbnailCA6KOGB8.jpg

nobodylikesthehabsfan.jpg

AT

Canadiens1.png

habskidchickscup.jpg

CANADIENS (33-21-7) vs. MAPLE LEAFS (32-22-7)

On Saturday, the Canadiens revisit a classic rivalry by welcoming the Maple Leafs to the Bell Centre.

Adding fuel to the fire is the position of the two teams in the Atlantic Division standings. Montreal is second with 73 points, while Toronto is fourth with just two fewer points.

On Thursday, Montreal defeated the best team in the Eastern Conference, the Pittsburgh Penguins, in a wild 6-5 shootout game. Daniel Briere had four shots, two goals and one assist in only 9:06 played while David Desharnais gave his team the win with a shootout goal. After making 27 regulation time saves, Peter Budaj turned aside James Neal, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin on consecutive attempts in the shootout.

On the same night, Toronto was on the wrong end of a 5-4 overtime loss to the New York Islanders. Michael Grabner scored two short-handed goals less than a minute apart in the first period, Anders Lee added two more markers, and Lubomir Visnovsky completed the scoring for the Isles with an unassisted goal in overtime. Phil Kessel had two points in the loss, while Jonathan Bernier made 30 saves on 35 shots faced.

Though the Leafs have plenty of offensive options and rank fifth in the NHL in goals scored (182) the team has allowed more goals against (187) than all but four other National Hockey league teams. Meanwhile, Montreal is ranked 20th in goals for (155) and 11th in goals against (149). The simple explanation for both teams’ struggles is shot differential. The Maple Leafs, who routinely give up 35 shots or more in a game, ranks last in the NHL with a 43.6% Corsi rating, while Montreal is 26th with 46.7%.

Absent for Toronto are Carter Ashton and Dave Bolland. Both are on injured reserve.

Montreal will have to do without Carey Price (lower-body), Brandon Prust (upper-body) and Michael Bournival (concussion). Ryan White has the flu but may play.

Saturday’s tilt will be the fourth of five season meetings between the teams. On January 18, the Leafs won 5-3 at the Air Canada Centre thanks to two-point nights from Phil Kessel, Nazem Kadri and Joffrey Lupul. Montreal did beat Toronto at home on November 30, 2013, when Max Pacioretty had three points in a 4-2 win.

gohabsgo-1.jpg

Guest mrsmarkov

There's always next year, omg :lol:. That's hilarious. Yup that was definitely me back in the day in that school photo. Always the only Hab fan and I loved it. I always picked on the Leafs and Wings fans. I'd always call them band-wagoners..oh good times :lol:. Funny game preview hatethoseleafs, I enjoyed it!

OMG! an HTL gameday thread!!!111!!111!1 :D

The boyz better show up and play, I dont want anything like the home opener this time

I'm glad you approve. :lol:

Your right about the "better show up". Losing is not an option.

LOL That is funny, dude. Before and After! Best GDT ever!

OK, so no Price, no problem. Budaj will be fine.....it's just the defense in front of him I'm worried about.

....AND our inability to pass, enter the zone, control the puck, score on the power play, plus a few more things....

But Budaj will be fine.

I expect a very frustrating game, with lots of bad calls. The Laffs will take their normal share of dirty hits. Habs will likely sleep through about 50 minutes of this one, and try to tie it up in the last 58 seconds, because that sometimes works. Will probably end up as another squandered opportunity to pick up points.

3-2 Leafs, but Budaj was fine.

I just hope Boston loses. (It's 0-0 about halfway through the 1st.....)

Guest mrsmarkov

LOL That is funny, dude. Before and After! Best GDT ever!

OK, so no Price, no problem. Budaj will be fine.....it's just the defense in front of him I'm worried about.

....AND our inability to pass, enter the zone, control the puck, score on the power play, plus a few more things....

But Budaj will be fine.

I expect a very frustrating game, with lots of bad calls. The Laffs will take their normal share of dirty hits. Habs will likely sleep through about 50 minutes of this one, and try to tie it up in the last 58 seconds, because that sometimes works. Will probably end up as another squandered opportunity to pick up points.

3-2 Leafs, but Budaj was fine.

I just hope Boston loses. (It's 0-0 about halfway through the 1st.....)

Sounds pretty accurate. Haha the amount of times you said Budaj will be fine. :lol: I agree though.

Another Leafs game, another battle of two coaches that time left behind. If it turns into a contest to see which team can be "grittier", it'll be out of reach by the second period. The Leafs' AHLers play 1985's game a lot better than our rookies/fringe NHLers do.

Another Leafs game, another battle of two coaches that time left behind. If it turns into a contest to see which team can be "grittier", it'll be out of reach by the second period. The Leafs' AHLers play 1985's game a lot better than our rookies/fringe NHLers do.

Maybe.....but we have "character".

Nice quiet night home all alone. Hope one of the two teams on the ice don't ruin the mood for me.

....there's always Crown Royal to get it back. :P

Hey....they didn't sing the Toronto national anthem.

Archived