The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Devan Dubnyk

hdidou

Not sure the thought process on this trade. Was he supposed to replace Budaj? Is he here for no other reason than Nashville doesn't want him? What im speculating is; with rumours of Martin Brodeur being traded, they were going to trade Budaj+ Tokarski, and a pick for Brodeur, And Dubnyk would fill in for Tokarski. Seems logical as where a better place to finish your career than Montreal.

Either way, steal by Montreal. Still a good goalie (but not going to see the break of the NHL for quite a while), and I think a fitting nickname to have would be "the man of mystery"

I have had a chance to watch most of his games with the Oilers and he may need a fresh start Did not play well under lots of pressure with little or no defence in front of him for much of the year.I think he is better than what he showed this year, but the Oilers needed to make a change and management is definitely in damage control mode.

Who knows what Budaj may be looking at, he could be interested in moving next year.

Dubnyk could probably use some work to see what we could do with him. Maybe Waite thinks he can help with him. For now probably just more insurance for Price and Budaj. Picking up a goalie with NHL experience for pretty well nothing before the playoffs is not a bad idea. I like the job Bergevin is doing picking up some spare parts with experience like Weaver..

Personally,,,, i think he's just a bandaid move until Price is healthy and we return the kid to Hamilton. It cost us pretty much nothing to add him, and the Dogs are still in the hunt for a playoff spot. Just a case of needing another warm body in the system and a little insurance.

Most likely walks at the end of the season but we'll see.

Guest mrsmarkov

Ya when I heard we acquired Dubnyk I flipped out...in a bad way. I was incredibly shocked and in disbelief, felt like a joke. First off, I said why? We have solid goaltending. Both Carey and Budaj have improved with the help of Waite and have fixed their minor flaws. Even Budaj is playing like a starter. It's been a while since I could say I trust both goalies to play against any team. And then you bring in Dubs, what? He is a EDIT of a goalie and he makes me extremely nervous. I get it, I understand why he was drafted really high for a goalie and why the Oilers signed him. He was incredible in the minors and in the AHL, but he has significantly dropped since then. He is far too shaky for me and just can't be trusted. He just doesn't execute at the right time or have the necessary confidence. I understand, blah blah he had to be the best defense for the Oilers. That's a hard thing to do, but he didn't even do enough to give them a chance. Our goalies rather would eat him up. They're both great under pressure and give us a chance every night even though we most often play like peewee hockey players. I don't understand the acquisition, unless Carey's injury is far worse than they're trying to lead on. But still, him? Gosh Neuvirth would have been great if he wasn't signed until next season. Considering that we're fighting to keep our playoff spot, Dubs was the wrong choice. I don't want him anywhere near our pipes. Get your fresh start somewhere else, but it's over for him. Last note, the good thing is I don't see him staying after this season. Budaj is our guy!

Dubs was acquired and sent to Hamilton. That right there tells me, he was only acquired on the "what if" ...

What if Budaj leaves next season?

What if Price goes down with a major injury?

What if Dubs can regain his confidence and nerves and actually pan out on the promise of his talent and being drafted in the first round? Maybe Habs can flip him for something more than they gave up?

Dubs was acquired and sent to Hamilton. That right there tells me, he was only acquired on the "what if" ...

What if Budaj leaves next season?

What if Price goes down with a major injury?

What if Dubs can regain his confidence and nerves and actually pan out on the promise of his talent and being drafted in the first round? Maybe Habs can flip him for something more than they gave up?

Budaj is under contract to us next season.

Budaj is under contract to us next season.

Yeah, when I mentioned Budaj's future I meant after next year but I don't think I wrote it that way He'll be 33 going on 34 for the following season (2015-16). I am sure we got him for a seventh rounder and maybe a fifth if he pans out in the minors. He looked a lot better last year, but like the whole Oiler team looked completely ridiculous this year. He's a very tall lanky goalie (which is the way most teams are going now), probably similar to Waite. I think at worst we let him go and at best he improves his trade value or sticks around one day as a back up. It definitely doesn't hurt to check him out.

He apparently did play well for Canada at the World Championships a couple years back. It's so hard to judge with goalies. They can be off the map for years and finally emerge as solid NHL goalies (Thomas) or they can be lights out for a few seasons and then completely bottom out. Remember Raycroft?

Guest mrsmarkov

Dubby's not a spectacular goalie. Don't expect him to do much for you guys.

Trust me I don't need that clarification. I'm just hoping he stays in Hamilton and then over the summer gets shipped off elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

Archived