The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #69 Sun, 16 Mar 2014 Canadiens @ Sabres 7:00 PM RDS, TSN-HABS, MSG, TSN 690

kinot-1

WELL, HAVE WE ALL COME BACK TO EARTH AFTER LAST NIGHTS WIN?

TONIGHT'S ENTERTAINMENT HAS THE

yeahmatrixxp2.gif

AT THE WOEFUL

buffalo_sabres-206691.jpg

A stunning comeback might have given the Montreal Canadiens what they need to get back on track.
The win pushed Montreal six points ahead of ninth-place Detroit in the Eastern Conference.
A visit to the league-worst Buffalo Sabres could also help.

The Canadiens will try to earn back-to-back victories for the first time in a little more than two weeks
Sunday night by sending the Sabres to a sixth consecutive defeat.
Buffalo has been outscored 16-5 in its last five games and
Tyler Ellis tallied his team's lone goal in a 4-1 road loss to the New York Islanders on Saturday.
Peter Budaj is 4-1-2 with a 2.18 goals-against average in seven career appearances
against the Sabres and needed to stop only 14 shots in a 5-1 win in Buffalo on April 11.
Montreal is 5-1-3 in its last nine trips to Buffalo and has won in each of its last two.
Last 10: Montreal 5-4-1; Buffalo 4-6-0
Peter will get the start, as Carey remains in Montreal.
Canadiens C David Desharnais 5 G, 8 A in past 12 GP, P.K. Subban 2 G, 7 A in past 7 GP
Hopefully, the Sabres are in a "Fail for Whoever" mode.
Any line up changes will be forthcoming ASAP.
kinot-1's GDT record 14-9-1

Good afternoon!

Today's game will mark the return of Thomas Vanek to Buffalo as the opposition. He will be joined by former Sabre Daniel Briére.

The Sabres have struggled creating chances and finishing whatever opportunities in the form of goals. Allowing over 40 shots in a game on a daily basis and playing in their end neither helps the Sabres.

It should be a great game.

Thanks for the game summaries and analysis' from last game peeps. I didn't make it through the game, but caught the last couple of minutes. Crazy! The thread seems to be locked now, so I'm just going to drop this post here since I've already written it. Next time I guess I'll have to try to get in within a 12 hour window. :D

a match penalty is, not a game misconduct

that being said, i never knew what's the difference between the two

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought ...

Match penalty: Player commits a major infraction and is consequently removed from the game. (ie, intent to injure)

Game Misconduct: Player is removed from the game independently of a penalty being assessed. (ie, unsportsmanlike, abuse of officials)

Misconduct: Player is removed from the game independently of the penalty being assessed, but is permitted to return after a period of 10 minutes (ie: fighting)

While misconducts often occur at the time of an infraction, I think they can technically be applied at any time. Normally an unsportsmanlike penalty ends up being assessed at the same time however. If you are already taking a penalty, say for tripping, they might add the misconduct without assessing the unsportsmanlike.

Weird, the NHL put this out,

At 14:50 of the second period in the Ottawa Senators/Montreal Canadiens game, the Situation Room initiated video review after the puck entered the Montreal net. The referee informed the Situation Room that after a referee's huddle, it was determined Ottawa's Colin Greening made incidental contact with Montreal's Carey Price prior to the puck entering the net. The referee informed the Situation Room that he had also called a tripping penalty on Montreal's Lars Ellerduring the play. This is not a reviewable play, therefore the referee's call on the ice stands. No goal Ottawa. Penalty Montreal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=27211&cmpid=nhl-twt

I looked over this play, and there was so much going on that I don't think there was a clear or right answer. You could probably rule in either direction and give grounds for doing so.

-----

I didn't see most of last game, but judging on what went on in the last several minutes, I'm not sure this win was deserved, as much as it was a karmic balancing for the calls that often go against us. :P

I was surprised by how effective Briere and Vanek "could" have been last game, so hope they continue and aren't discouraged, as the chances they had will normally have better results. Also, EGG line! Give them a couple of games to re-familiarize.

Ummm, Murray, yeeeeeeaaaah. I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to sit out a few games.

I said last night, before the great comeback, that I would be satisfied with a one game winning streak...all bets off!! Forget it..two, three may be even a four game winning streak is now only acceptable. :rolleyes:

And...perhaps we can skip the second period every game here on in...just a suggestion.

I just found out about the epic comeback with tears dripping down my face. I was shocked at first and had to check multiple sources. It's crazy though....I always stick around till the game finishes out of principle, but yesterday I decided to go out early and get drunk.

My last comment from the last thread was something about pretending the Habs still had a chance and wish for a win in the morning when I check the score, enough said.

Both the Sabres and Canadiens had bad games last night. The Canadiens were lucky to get busy in the third period to tie the game and win it in overtime. The Sabres need to stop playing in their end and score goals.

I don't know if I'd say the Habs played a bad game. They played an excellent first period and dominated in shots 17-4 after one. They then stunk it up for 30-35 minutes before storming back. They had way too many defensive lapses, but there were a lot of good things in the game too. I still believe we were a better team than the Senators on the night.

Tinordi in, Murray out for tonights game. Tokarski starts. Two things I didnt expect from MT.

BEST NEWS EVER!!! Sorry, I thought this deserved caps lock!

I kind of have the feeling MT's plan was to put Tinordi in for Bouillon in the back-to-back, and Bouillon's GWG last night bought him another game, while Murray stunk and made a ton of bad pinches... sure, Therrien hasn't used performance as a reason to make line-up decisions before, but there's a first time for everything. The Tokarski decision also seems to be based on performance... really hoping we've turned a corner here with the coaching staff. If we bring Beaulieu back into the fold, keep the EGG line together, keep Subban unleashed, etc. I might actually forgive Therrien.

Guest habs1952

While misconducts often occur at the time of an infraction, I think they can technically be applied at any time. Normally an unsportsmanlike penalty ends up being assessed at the same time however. If you are already taking a penalty, say for tripping, they might add the misconduct without assessing the unsportsmanlike.

Referees have been know to issue 10 minute misconducts, without minor penalties called, near the end of the game when things are getting out of control(fights). It's not that uncommon.

BEST NEWS EVER!!! Sorry, I thought this deserved caps lock!

I kind of have the feeling MT's plan was to put Tinordi in for Bouillon in the back-to-back, and Bouillon's GWG last night bought him another game, while Murray stunk and made a ton of bad pinches... sure, Therrien hasn't used performance as a reason to make line-up decisions before, but there's a first time for everything. The Tokarski decision also seems to be based on performance... really hoping we've turned a corner here with the coaching staff. If we bring Beaulieu back into the fold, keep the EGG line together, keep Subban unleashed, etc. I might actually forgive Therrien.

Maybe MT has been reading the forum for guidance.

I don't know if I'd say the Habs played a bad game. They played an excellent first period and dominated in shots 17-4 after one. They then stunk it up for 30-35 minutes before storming back. They had way too many defensive lapses, but there were a lot of good things in the game too. I still believe we were a better team than the Senators on the night.

I like to see teams that play a complete game all 60 minutes. You can play good for one period, then the rest of the game bad play would tell a different story. For the Canadiens currently holding a wild card berth, there is little room to be stinking up games for over 30 minutes.

Archived