The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Playoff supersticions. Do you have any??

We ran this thread in here quite a few years ago, and with the number of new members since then,,,i though it would be fun to bring it back for this years playoffs and read what you do to help our Habs be victorious.

Do you grow a playoff beard,,,, wear special Hab jerseys or gear,,, go through a pre game ritual??

Up until this season, I always wore my Habs jersey, hat and used a Habs mug/glass, to bring the team good luck. This season tho, I decided not to. We're still winning without my superstitions. I will probably try something for the POs. tho,,,,,,, or maybe I shouldn't. :unsure::blink:

#quandary

I do the playoff beard every year, but since I normally keep a short beard anyway it's usually more of a 'playoff shave' unless they make it out of the first round :P. This year though I'm getting married in early May, and despite my protestations the wife-to-be won't let me keep the long beard for the ceremony. Some people, eh? In any case, if they go farther this year but then lose out in May then you can probably blame it on me :(.

My only superstition is the playoff signatures... which I hope to do this year but I will be out of the country for most of the 1st & part of the second round... :( Should be able to watch / get updates, but wont have photoshop/illustrator access so no new sigs during that time...

Well i'm a creature of habit. The game has to be on RDS regardless of how many other broadcasters available and i watch almost every game exclusively in my dedicated Hab room. I have several greats on my wall ( 8X10's) and since the new year, i usually give one a good look before the puck drops. If we win,,,,i'll pick him next game again. If we lose,,,,,i move on to the next. The Flower got a lot of attention on that last win streak. :lol:

My only superstition is the playoff signatures... which I hope to do this year but I will be out of the country for most of the 1st & part of the second round... :( Should be able to watch / get updates, but wont have photoshop/illustrator access so no new sigs during that time...

I always look forward to those.

I have a habs shrine around my tv.

Each Period I have 1 beer. Labatt's Blue, Kronnenbourg Blanc, and Rickards Red

You should have one of all 3 each period & then that way by the third you'll be loving the game, regardless of the score :D

I always look forward to those.

:) Thanks.

I'll still try to do some. before and (hopefully!!) after.

No additional superstition in the playoffs compared to the regular season unless we play the Booins. In that case (over and above the Markov jersey and t-shirt, the flags on the car and trying to go to as many games I can) I add a Booins goalie voodoo doll to stab with pins during games and I sit my little habs teddy bear on the back my little Booins teddy bear that i place face down next to the TV B)

No additional superstition in the playoffs compared to the regular season unless we play the Booins. In that case (over and above the Markov jersey and t-shirt, the flags on the car and trying to go to as many games I can) I add a Booins goalie voodoo doll to stab with pins during games and I sit my little habs teddy bear on the back my little Booins teddy bear that i place face down next to the TV B)

:lol:

Guest habs1952

No superstitions here but I like to watch the games alone. People talk too much during the game. It's distracting, especially when they ask "what's icing?" :lol: :lol:

No superstitions here but I like to watch the games alone. People talk too much during the game. It's distracting, especially when they ask "what's icing?" :lol: :lol:

Same here, if I have company, I basically ignore them, even if they know their hockey. :rolleyes::o

Guest mrsmarkov

During the day before the game, I wear Habs socks and carry around a Habs tumbler everywhere I go because I'm usually not home during the day. When I arrive home I make sure the pooches are in their Habs jerseys, I always make sure to wear the correct jersey (home or away), I drink out of my Habs mug throughout the game, wear Habs slippers and cover myself up in my Habs blanket. When we get a penalty I cross my fingers :lol:. I never allow my mother to watch hockey with me though because I think she's bad luck :lol:. When we get scored on I make my father go to bed because the Habs always score whenever he walks off to the washroom or falls asleep. So he has no problem taking it for the team :lol:.

Oh and I almost forgot. I never answer texts during intermission from Wings or Leaf fans. For some weird reason they always love asking me what the score is and how the game is going. Lets just say, once I tell them...the game goes downhill. They're all bad luck I say...

Yes. It's much better in the Game Day Threads, where we all ask "what's icing?" :P

Seriously, though, I'm only superstitious if the word "superstitions" is misspelled. It's bad luck otherwise.

Actually, the only phenomenon I've seen that actually keeps proving itself, from which many of us have developed a superstition, is when someone uses the "s" word in the GDT. It doesn't happen every time, but I've seen it cause a ripple in the universe more often than it should in the natural course of things. Like, weirdsville. Now, most Habs fans don't break the rule by using the "s" word prematurely, but I just hope the next time it happens, I'm wearing my lucky Habs sweater and my lucky hat.

i dont really have superstition but every year the habs make the playoffs i hang a boy montreal canadiens flag off the top of my garage roof so every one can see it. oh cant forget to meantion im serounded by leafs fan. i get a lot of dirty looks this time of year. this year when people stop while driving by to complain ill make sure to let them know that i expect them to cheer for the only canadian team in the post season! that will fire them up but i might need to consider getting security ;)

Archived