The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll of the Week - April 14

BigTed3

Playoffs Round 1  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Habs fare in Round 1?

• Win the series as the dominant team
    • Win a back-and-forth, even series
    • Win the series on the back of goaltending and luck
    • Play well but lose, just like in 2013
    • Mail it in and hit the golf course early

A little bit of a variation on the common playoff question. Instead of asking you how many games it'll go, we want to know how the Habs will play as a team, which seems to be the big question this year. Analytics tell us the Habs don't deserve to be a 100-point team. Logic tells us that if Bishop isn't there, they should have the edge. Will they go out the way they did last year? Will they do to Tampa what Ottawa did to us? Will this be a tight series? Or will one team just blow the other away? Vote now.

I think it'll be a tight even series, even though Bishop may not be there also added Habs will win it in the end. I can't foresee either team dominating one or the other, to me, the regurlar season is a good indication but not the only one. Variables are taken into considerations as well and as we all know, the playoffs series is a whole other "animal".

I feel that the Habs have the edge when it comes to the D for sure & as far as goal scoring I will give the edge to Montreal as well goal-tending Price has more experience in big pressure games.

Both teams love too skate for sure so look for a fast pace games & the Habs play best when it's in your face all out offence & they pressure Tampa's D.

If we can contain their big gun they only have one LOL in Stamkos the we should have this series in the bag in 6 games.

Go Habs Go !!!

I feel that the Habs have the edge when it comes to the D for sure & as far as goal scoring I will give the edge to Montreal as well goal-tending Price has more experience in big pressure games.

Both teams love too skate for sure so look for a fast pace games & the Habs play best when it's in your face all out offence & they pressure Tampa's D.

If we can contain their big gun they only have one LOL in Stamkos the we should have this series in the bag in 6 games.

Go Habs Go !!!

I am not so sure about the D. If Murray and Bouillon both play, then we are sunk.

I went with a Habs victory (although I'd probably never pick anything else before the series starts :P) and I think it will be in a pretty even series.

Go Habs Go !!!

I'm not sure that we have the D advantage, both because we don't seem to always play our best guys and because I think that Tampa actually has some overlooked players. I will say, though, that I agree with you about this second part! I'm glad we're playing Tampa just because I think that we'll end up with a fast-paced, fun to watch series. And if we can keep from making any big defensive gaffes we do tend to play well in these up-tempo kinds of games.

Also, there's Price. I hope he doesn't have to steal it for us, but I feel really good having him back there :).

If you look at all the games against Tampa this year, they've been close, low-scoring games, and in most of them, Tampa ended up with the slight edge. You can argue that if Bishop isn't there, it gives us ad advantage, but Lindback has been pretty decent and the team is still playing a tight system right now. Like us, Tampa has a lot of speed but I think they lack a bit of experience in terms of scoring in the playoffs. So in terms of play on the ice, I actually see this as being a fairly even series. However, that doesn't mean I necessarily see this as being a series which goes to 6 or 7 games. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the last if it goes 5 and one team simply gets on a run of capitalizing on its chances better than the other team, the way Ottawa did with us last year. If Tampa does end up starting the series with injuries to guys like Bishop, Palat, Hedman, and/or Filpula (even if they're playing through them), I think that's to our advantage, but ultimately I think we need to come out of the gate in games 1 and 2 strong and paint Tampa into a corner. if they start to lose confidence and feel the injuries are tough for them to overcome, that might just sink them. So while I can just as easily say Tampa in 5, my gut is that it will be Montreal in 5 or 6 games despite a fairly even amount of scoring chances and possession.

If you look at all the games against Tampa this year, they've been close, low-scoring games, and in most of them, Tampa ended up with the slight edge. You can argue that if Bishop isn't there, it gives us ad advantage, but Lindback has been pretty decent and the team is still playing a tight system right now. Like us, Tampa has a lot of speed but I think they lack a bit of experience in terms of scoring in the playoffs. So in terms of play on the ice, I actually see this as being a fairly even series. However, that doesn't mean I necessarily see this as being a series which goes to 6 or 7 games. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the last if it goes 5 and one team simply gets on a run of capitalizing on its chances better than the other team, the way Ottawa did with us last year. If Tampa does end up starting the series with injuries to guys like Bishop, Palat, Hedman, and/or Filpula (even if they're playing through them), I think that's to our advantage, but ultimately I think we need to come out of the gate in games 1 and 2 strong and paint Tampa into a corner. if they start to lose confidence and feel the injuries are tough for them to overcome, that might just sink them. So while I can just as easily say Tampa in 5, my gut is that it will be Montreal in 5 or 6 games despite a fairly even amount of scoring chances and possession.

Bang on how i feel.

I suspect we will win one of the first 2 games & then come home & win both, rolling back into TB with a 3 - 1 lead. It may be optimistic, but I think this is a series we can and will win. Aside from Chucky we have very few key injuries & the guys we are missing tend to be of the type we have lots of.

Bang on how i feel.

I suspect we will win one of the first 2 games & then come home & win both, rolling back into TB with a 3 - 1 lead. It may be optimistic, but I think this is a series we can and will win. Aside from Chucky we have very few key injuries & the guys we are missing tend to be of the type we have lots of.

We definitely have the depth to overcome injuries, and guys like Briere and Prust and Gionta are going to be even more useful in a short playoff series than they might be over a full season. My worry is that we don't use our players properly because of coaching. For example, an overuse of Prust, Moen, Weise, etc. over guys like Briere, Bournival, or Gallagher in order to react to Tampa rather than play our own game. Or if we lose a game, the reaction to go back to Murray and Bouillon repeatedly because of experience. If the coaches emphasize Subban and Markov and Vanek and Pacioretty and make Tampa react to them instead, we'll be in the driver's seat. If we allow this to be a series of Moen and Murray vs. Stamkos, we're in trouble.

Archived