The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1, Game 2 - Friday, 18 April 2014 7:00 PM EST - CBC RDS CNBC SUN Sports TSN 690

habs_93

Game 2

Friday, 18 April 2014 7:00 PM EST

Marc Bergevin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYgD_bYm-TU

vs.

Steve Yzerman

(Or Habs vs. Lightning, I guess)

enONeEo.gif?1

Previous results:

TBL 4 - MTL 5 (OT)

I was going to continue with my "let's mock the other team" series of GDTs in this one. Pointing out interesting and amusing things, like that in 2012 Tampa was determined to be the most stressful city in the United States by a research firm. Or that at one point in the late 90s the Lightning franchise was worth less than half of the debt it carried, and it may have been owned by the Yakuza, a Japanese crime syndicate. A team that's been in almost worse shape than the Phoenix Coyotes? That's pretty funny, right? Right.

They were even coached by Barry Melrose once, too. Ew. Don't get me started on the baseball team. Comparing celebrities born/raised in Tampa and Montreal was getting pretty one-sided and sad. When the best you've got is a guy from the Backstreet Boys, Billy Mays, and the prop comic Gallagher… it's just not sporting. Also, our Gallagher is totally the better Gallagher. It's not even close.

But I didn't want to risk the jinx to end all jinxes. That much time in the alley doesn't sound particularly good. I also used up all the material already :ph34r:. So, let's not hate too much on our deep south hockey comrades. It's not their fault they like the wrong team and don't seem to know what offside or high sticking is. Instead, let's be positive and find common ground with them!

Cheer up, Tampa: Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St-Louis don't want to play for us, either. You'll get over it in a year or two. Our GM Marc Bergevin played for your team for parts of 4 years. He even scored a goal in your very first game. And how about your mascot? It's no Youppi, but it's kinda cute. And it likes Bruins fans about as much as we do:

(Pictured: the thinnest, cleanest, least violent Bruins fan on the continent. Also, "assaulted"? There aren't enough molecules in the known universe to contain the number of rolling eyes smilies necessary to comment on that.)

On with the game preview!

How about Wednesday's game, huh? It's starting to feel like Therrien and/or this team has an actual, physical switch somewhere that turns its level and style of play around completely. They dominated possession, they played pretty well overall (despite defensive lapses), and Carey wasn't good at all. The Power Play was still terrible, so there's some familiarity to take comfort in I suppose.

The inexperienced nature of Tampa's team probably had something to do with it, too. So, will we see an improvement in the play of the lightning? Or will the Habs show some desperately needed killer instinct and dictate the flow of play? Either way, we'll need significantly better performances from Carey Price and the defence. I wouldn't mind seeing the first line have a slightly less snakebitten game, either.

Will it be Lindback? Will it be Gudlevskis? Will it be Bishop? Who knows. But it'll be Game 2, and it'll be Friday.

GO HABS GO!

Guest mrsmarkov

I love the GDT, it's great! :) I just want to thank everyone who takes the time to make a GDT for every game :D.

Palat may play tomorrow for the Bolts and will be a game-time decision. Bishop will not play tomorrow!

Cooper, however, said Bishop's return is not on the radar for now.

"I don't think we're going to see Bishop any time soon. But I don't know what soon is," Cooper said. "This series would have to extend a little bit for him to come in."

Guest mrsmarkov

Should MT keep the same defence or would you like to see Tinordi? I personally would love to see Tinorsi?Murray replacing Weaver/Bouillion. Or at least Tinordi replacing one of them. He's a big body that we desperately need as well as Murray's. Murray can be effective if MT manages his minutes.

I'm going to have to disagree. We honestly don't need big bodies out there right now. It would honestly be a waste. The only way I can see it benefiting us is if they will hit Stamkos. Not hurt him obviously, but just stop him from taking control of the puck. For some weird reason, the Habs are all scared of hitting him. I'm not impressed by that at all. With all that said, I think the lines should stay completely the same. Hopefully the boys play the same way tomorrow as they did last night.

If Habs can win this game, they'll have one foot in Round 2 heading back to Montreal. It'll also deal a huge psychological blow to Tampa, cos 0-2 down means the exit looms.

But I think Tampa would have re-watched the video again and be tougher this game.

I don't think 2-0 means a looming exit for TB by any means... but what it does do is keep the doubt in Tampa's mind that they can win without Bishop. We need to keep the pressure going and pepper their young goalies with shots. If we come home up 2, then Tampa will be playing desperate hockey on Sunday. Either way, it's up to us to be the better team and not let up.

Refs tonight announced as Tim Peel and Chris Rooney, respectively a Leaf-loving abysmal referee (probably the worst official in the league) and a bottom 5-6 official in the league. What an awful combination. NHL doing its best to even up this series, I suppose.

OT and just to provide some levity from CBC sports:

"Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri will appear on Hockey Night in Canada as a guest analyst during Saturday's Columbus-Pittsburgh playoff game.
Kadri (@43_Kadri on Twitter) will join Ron MacLean and the Studio 42 crew of P.J. Stock, Elliotte Friedman and Andi Petrillo for the Hockey Tonight pre-game show (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 6:30 p.m. ET) and the second intermission of the Blue Jackets-Penguins game to provide analysis and his own perspective on the night's action."
Is he the best they could find? :lol::lol::lol::blink::blink:

Confirmed by Therrien, no change to the lineup ie scratches: Parros, White, Moen, Tinordi, Murray

When you get a goal from each line, why tinker with it? :) Good on MT, but some tinkering can and should be done with the PP and limiting their good scoring chances. On TSN radio, they were saying that Carey plays better when he sees a lot of SOG, but IMO that's playing with fire.

Refs tonight announced as Tim Peel and Chris Rooney, respectively a Leaf-loving abysmal referee (probably the worst official in the league) and a bottom 5-6 official in the league. What an awful combination. NHL doing its best to even up this series, I suppose.

So it's good Friday & that also means I get to stay home with family. Then I find this out.

Refs tonight announced as Tim Peel

Saw that one coming <_<

Hopfully the only "peesl" that has anything to do with the game tonight is the MANY Banana "peels" when WE SCORE ! :D

GO HABS GO !!!

Guest mrsmarkov

Great GDT..thanks. Hope the boys don't keep it as close tomorrow night..my ticker can't stand it. Win outright! :)

Um nor can mine. I feel like I'm dying throughout the entire game :lol:. Far too much stress on the body :P.

Archived