The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Series Thread: Round 3 vs. the NY Rangers

BigTed3

38 members have voted

1. 1. What will it be?

Pretty similar teams.

Great goalies. Forward depth. Lots of speed. Two big name wingers (Nash/St.Louis, Pac/Vanek). Both coming off emotional series.

Alot of times I think home ice advantage is over rated, however when its at the Bell Center, I think it's a pretty good advantage. Come out flying at home, hopefully pick up 2 wins and put ourselves in the drivers seat!

Go Habs Go!

I had a thought after the last game of the season that this series could happen.

I was hoping for the Pens, but it is what it is.

At least Boston is gone. :lol:

I think we'll get more scoring chances than we had against BOS but it'll be tougher to put the puck past Lundqvist.

Interestingly, like Rask, Lundqvist has had his trouble with the habs. Lifetime (27games) he's 2.85gaa and .897sv% His win/loss is better than Rask (13 11 2 ) but he's definitely had more trouble with our team than most.

I like us in 6 or less. The Rags are good - built a lot like us really - but dont have quite the depth we do, although you could argue that they have more top-end talent up front (top line) than us.

I'm not gonna disrespect the Rangers. But we've played them well. I don't appreciate their team as much as I did Boston. Oddly, they are my second most hated team, after the Bruins. What a great play off year for me as a fan.

I think Gally needs to come back, fourth line minutes. In fact, It has to be Briere who comes out. He's been productive but in two game flashes really. It's hard to pull one of the all time playoff greats. But he has also been largely a disappearing act for some games. And everyone else is playing better. If we want Gally, coming off injury, it's a good swap. Gally is better already, as a two way hockey player. More suited to the 4th line than Briere. And still allows us that skilled 6th forward on the power play.

As for Beuiieau. He got 5 minutes of 5 on 5 time. I'd especially say the Bouillion is a better fit as the 6th D. Or TInordi. Especially when it comes to the Rangers. I don't think we will be flipping pucks and dumping and chasing as much against them. More of a normal game plan. Less reliant on speed is fine. MOre savvy. IMO of course.

Go Habs.

That line made me scratch my head...Bouillon is a better option? Against the Rangers, if anything, we need more speed. Their forwards are all about speed.

So, if Chuckie is ready to come back... who sits?

The nice thing is that we dont need our 4th line to be super rough so you could ease him into the lineup alongside Briere & Weise or something but all 12 guys have been playing well so it would be sad for any of them to have to sit.

The nice thing is that we dont need our 4th line to be super rough so you could ease him into the lineup alongside Briere & Weise or something but all 12 guys have been playing well so it would be sad for any of them to have to sit.

That's a toughie, there all playing well, even the 4th line is contributing.

I don't think Chuckie comes in unless we're struggling. Right now, the team is playing well with the roster we had for Game 6 and 7 ... you don't mess with that until it stops working.

Probably Prust? I think you make sure Galch has some more practices first though as long as everyone keeps playing well.

Probably Prust? I think you make sure Galch has some more practices first though as long as everyone keeps playing well.

Tough call to make on a former Ranger who probably would like to stick it to his former team. I think he sees game 1 at least. Difficult choice to sit somebody for Gally. Makes the likelyhood of seeing either Moen or White in this series pretty much nil.

Yep, we cannot underestimate the Rangers. They just knocked off the entire state of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia in round 1, and Pittsburgh in round 2. I'm reminded of the run we went on with Jaroslav Halak. Defeating Washington and Pittsburgh, only to come up way, way short against Philadelphia in round 3. And EVERYONE expected we would pass Philadelphia that season because of the victories over the two previous teams. Well, that didn't work out so well. New York has a good team. And when you have Henrik Lundqvist in goal, anything is possible (just like how we have Carey). The addition of Marty St. Louis is an upgrade, IMO, and that needs to be taken into account as well. This isn't Calahan's Rangers anymore. They've also accomplished everything without Rick Nash having scored 1 single goal. That's unlikely to continue.

Guest mrsmarkov

Watched the Rangers vs. Pens... they are on a mission just like the Habs.

It will be a close series IMHO. Two great goalies and talent on both sides of the equation. They play a similar style with speed assets. The Rangers may not play as dirty as the Bruins, but still can play a physical game. At forward the Rangers have 3 players under six feet... the Habs 6. On defense The Rangers have 2 (Diaz/Stralman) under six feet... the Habs 2 also (Weaver/Bouillon). Lundqvist is smaller than Price but Talbot is bigger than Budaj. Both teams have great goaltending overall IMO. So a slight advantage to the Rangers in terms of size.

Habs have home-ice advantage if that really counts for anything.

Key players to watch for the Rangers... Nash, St, Louis, Richards, Zuccarello, Brassard, Pouliot and Moore at forward; McDonagh, Marc Staal "A", Dan Girardi "A"; Lundqvist of course. Brian Boyle could be an x factor because of his size at center and skill on the PK. John Moore is also an x factor to watch on defense. Daniel Carcillo and Derek Dorsett represent the Rangers agitators.

This is dead on. No need for me to reply to someone who wanted to know what their whole team is about. :lol: It's going to be an intense series because IMO nobody wants it more than the Habs and Rangers.

Guest mrsmarkov

Who is a better goalie between Rask and Lunquist?

Honestly for a few years I use to think they were tied as being the best goaltenders..I honestly had a ton of trouble choosing who was better. But IMO Rask is a better goalie. Henrik tends to have rough patches here and there..Rask doesn't. The interesting thing is that Henrik plays really bad at the Bell Centre...I honestly can't tell you the last time he played there. They never want to risk it. So it's something to think about. That's definitely the main reason I'm banking on the Habs taking it, but then again the playoffs are a completely different animal. But then again it could be close because the King is a real animal at the garden.

Guest mrsmarkov

THIS! It's a great position to be in, but sad at the same time.

I don't think Chuckie comes in unless we're struggling. Right now, the team is playing well with the roster we had for Game 6 and 7 ... you don't mess with that until it stops working.

Agreed. I want Chucky to be healthy, but the lines should not be messed with. Don't mess with anything that doesn't need to be fixed. Unfortunately, I'm sure Therrien will disagree...

Habs in 5 :D

SAME :D!

If Galchenyuk's healthy, I think he plays. If he's not 95%+, he waits. Yes, it's tough to sit someone, but sitting Prust or Weise or Briere or Bourque for a game doesn't mean that guy needs to sit the entire series. You have an internal competition for guys to keep their ice time and line-up spots, and that's not a bad thing. Galchenyuk is ultimately a better player than half of the forwards we have right now and if the goal is to win a Cup, you need to re-integrate a good player when you have him. You could be worse off for it, but you can't be afraid of risk and you can't be afraid to be better.

I'm aware any decision will be controversial, but the two guys I'd look at sitting in Game 1 if Galchenyuk is ready are Briere and Bourque. Weise and Bournival have been two of our top forwards, and I think Prust was one of best players in Games 6 and 7, in addition to possibly being motivated to play his former team. But I wouldn't have a problem with Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta as a third line nor with Galchenyuk playing the 4th to start, along with some PP time to work him back in.

Guest mrsmarkov

If Galchenyuk's healthy, I think he plays. If he's not 95%+, he waits. Yes, it's tough to sit someone, but sitting Prust or Weise or Briere or Bourque for a game doesn't mean that guy needs to sit the entire series. You have an internal competition for guys to keep their ice time and line-up spots, and that's not a bad thing. Galchenyuk is ultimately a better player than half of the forwards we have right now and if the goal is to win a Cup, you need to re-integrate a good player when you have him. You could be worse off for it, but you can't be afraid of risk and you can't be afraid to be better.

I'm aware any decision will be controversial, but the two guys I'd look at sitting in Game 1 if Galchenyuk is ready are Briere and Bourque. Weise and Bournival have been two of our top forwards, and I think Prust was one of best players in Games 6 and 7, in addition to possibly being motivated to play his former team. But I wouldn't have a problem with Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta as a third line nor with Galchenyuk playing the 4th to start, along with some PP time to work him back in.

Well said...no matter what Weise should stay in the lineup...Bourney too, we need his speed.

BnshdYdCAAElu0s.jpg

LOVE IT CRB!

Archived