The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Series Thread: Round 3 vs. the NY Rangers

BigTed3

38 members have voted

1. 1. What will it be?

The other thing I'll add to the length-of-series discussion... with LA likely to move on, we'll be the "freshest" of the four remaining teams. LA and NY will both have played 14 games in the first two rounds, while Chicago will have played 13 and Montreal 11. I don't think that's going to mean much this season, but it's something we could potentially take advantage of. If we can beat NY, you'd have to figure Chi-LA will go at least 6.

Jimmy Fallon has raised the stakes in the NHL's Eastern Conference final.
The late night talk show host and the Montreal Canadiens agreed to a bet over Twitter on Friday night based on the outcome of the Habs best-of-seven playoff series with the New York Rangers.
If Montreal wins the series and advances to the Stanley Cup final, Fallon will wear a Canadiens jersey during one of his monologues on The Tonight Show. If New York wins, the Habs will change their Twitter avatar to a picture of Fallon's choosing and Youppi, the team's mascot, will have to wear a Rangers jersey and have 10 photos of it taken around Montreal.

"We got you @jimmyfallon! #NYRPlayoffs" tweeted the official Rangers account.

I never watch him,,, but I would definitely make an exception to see that.

It seems like everybody forgot what we did in the 3rd round of 2010.

We are currently doing the same thing all over again. Fans & players alike.

I think it's a little early to make that comparison. This team has shown resilience all year. Only game 1.

Have been re-watching the video of Kreider running Price. You can see on the replay that Kreider is NOT taken down by either Emelin (who misses him) nor Gorges (who hits him on the wrist). If Emelin had taken him down, he would have tripped over the stick and fallen FORWARD. Instead, Kreider shoots then leans backwards and slides, the way a baseball player might go feetfirst into a base. He makes no conscious effort to stop and he keeps his skate blades up going into Price.

Interestingly, someone has also pulled video of him doing the same thing to Craig Anderson last year, injuring him quite badly. To me, it's clear Kreider thought he could pass off a hit on the goalie as a loss of control, but the replay is clear that he deliberately initiates contact and probably does it with the intent of roughing up Price. It's a despicable act, cleverly disguised, but despicable nonetheless and by a player with a history of the same gesture in the past. Even if the league thinks he didn't mean to hurt him, it's clearly a contact on the goalie (when the league mandated trying strongly to protect goalies) that is reckless and unnecessary. Given how many weak penalties Kozari and Watson called on us, this was a no-brainer missed call that took out our best player.

Wow, we could all see that coming... right? No excuses... right?

We can all look to many reasons why what happened was inevitable... for the Habs at least. We are all up there and then POW!... we're brought back down to earth. Why are we surprised?

Were the referees instructed to be tough on the Habs after beating the Bruins (Jacobs and Campbell could not have been to happy about that... right?). Are the Rangers really that good? Are the Habs burnt out by the stress and physical games with the Bruins? Was Bergevin's press-conference with the hint of extending Therrien ill-timed? Whether any of this has any bearing on the series, or not, is up for debate. It couldn't have started out any worse (or better depending how you look at it) for the habs organization and their fans.

I simply think the Habs didn't take NY seriously enough. I think they felt that they beat a tougher team and that NY was a team they matched up better with and a team against which they were now the (mild) favorites. This team needed to adjust to the Rangers' speed, not just play the same style of game that beat Boston. In particular, our defence got torched time and again by the Rangers speed... I almost wonder if we're going to be forced to play 7 D just to keep up, because Markov and Emelin can't go on playing that many minutes that poorly.

I simply think the Habs didn't take NY seriously enough. I think they felt that they beat a tougher team and that NY was a team they matched up better with and a team against which they were now the (mild) favorites. This team needed to adjust to the Rangers' speed, not just play the same style of game that beat Boston. In particular, our defence got torched time and again by the Rangers speed... I almost wonder if we're going to be forced to play 7 D just to keep up, because Markov and Emelin can't go on playing that many minutes that poorly.

Markov-Emelin pairing is, IMO, currently the Habs weakest link on defense. Therrien and Bergevin clearly haven't done much about it as they have basically stuck with it since Emelin's return from injured reserve. I think there is more needed than simpy adjusting to the Rangers speed and style of play... though it is definitely a start. Using the right players at the right times in the right circumstances falls squarely on Therrien and his assistants.

I am, once again, reminded of the time we defeated Pittsburgh and Washington only to be thoroughly defeated by a lesser Philadelphia team in round 3. I really hope the same story doesn't unfold here, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm glad I missed the game yesterday because, oh man... It looked bad. We almost want to embarrass the Rangers in the next game just to get some mojo back.

I am, once again, reminded of the time we defeated Pittsburgh and Washington only to be thoroughly defeated by a lesser Philadelphia team in round 3. I really hope the same story doesn't unfold here, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm glad I missed the game yesterday because, oh man... It looked bad. We almost want to embarrass the Rangers in the next game just to get some mojo back.

Thinking the Rangers as a "lesser team" would be a mistake. They were one of the top possession teams in the league this year, and that was after having an abysmal start. They are pretty close to a carbon copy of the Habs except that they played better hockey during most of the regular season.

Thinking the Rangers as a "lesser team" would be a mistake. They were one of the top possession teams in the league this year, and that was after having an abysmal start. They are pretty close to a carbon copy of the Habs except that they played better hockey during most of the regular season.

That sounds bad. :blink:

I should have placed quotation marks around the word lesser to indicate sarcasm. I just meant, back in that play-off run we all thought we were going to win because of knocking off Pittsburgh and Washington. Which is similar to how a lot of people are thinking now because we knocked off Boston. NY sure showed us in game 1 what's what. I will be interested to see how the team responds tomorrow. A loss, and I'd consider our post-season run over.

Archived