The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Series Thread: Round 3 vs. the NY Rangers

BigTed3

38 members have voted

1. 1. What will it be?

Ask Bruins fans about why they like their team's style of play and they'll give you the same reason #2 and cite Marc Savard.

It's silly. We can't take the moral high ground as fans and want someone to run Lundqvist or Kreider.

Yeah. I just don't see any strong argument for running any Ranger. It's just silly to me. I don't get why Lundqvist is even related. Carey's knee got taken out, but Lundqvist had nothing to do with it, so how you can want him to be injured is just beyond me. Fairness is all well and good, except for that when it comes to retribution, it doesn't exist. The fact that Lundqvist is hurt doesn't make Carey any less hurt.

And as for Kreider....well I guess getting him is all well and good, except for that as soon as we do, we will have a suspended player (and rightfully so). So, what does that accomplish? Seeing which team has better AHLers?

The reality is that our best player is out for the series. The odds of us winning this series are low. But to want retribution, when seeking it would also reduce the odds of us winning by virtue of not playing our game, is just silly. I see absolutely no good coming out of it.

It's technically still possible, but in the big picture of things, we need to win 4 of 5 and we need to play 3 of the first 4 games on the road. We also need to win those games without our star player,

But I;m not convinced we're any better than NY and that we can play 0.800 hockey against them. It's not impossible, it's just unlikely. I think if we lose Game 3, we'll lose Game 4. And even if we win Game 3, I think Game 4 will be a toss-up with a slight edge to the Rangers.

Wow, somebody finally doing the Math objectively :P . If you were a punter, how would you place your bets? Except for the Tampa sweep, I've never seen Habs string more than two wins in a row. Rangers just needs to win 2 more out of remaining 5.

The REAL issue presently is the team simply has no solution to crack a Rangers side able to soak up everything thrown at them. When you play your best game - outshooting, outpossessing, out-PPing the opponent whatever, and still LOSE, what more can you do :rolleyes: ? As what MT said, you need the lucky breaks and I'm afraid these have been used up in earlier series. Remember our series against Boston: how many times their shots hit the post, Iginla missing open goal, us putting them early in a 2-0 or 3-1 hole for them to chase the game etc..., that's why we won the series. It's not as if we were way better than them - we had the breaks, they didn't, or the momentum would have shifted.

I think behind the players' brave talk, they know themselves the series is basically done. But what else do you expect them to say to the media? They can't say it's a near impossible task, can they?

IMHO certain players are either worn down or close to that. Some have still not given everything they can. Others are simply not committed.

Worn down or close to it... Gionta, Gorges, Plekanec are key players not playing at the top of their games that look tired. Prust is defintely not 100%.

Players not giving everything they can... Vanek tops the list (unless what we've seen is all he's got), Eller needs to get to another level (I think he can), Weise has tailed off and Bourque too.

Not committed... Emelin, Vanek again, Briere (although in his case it could be argued he hasn't had the best chance to do so).

Bingo!! When watching the games, you can tell which team's players are hungrier and want it more. There's no more sustainable fire like in the Tampa games. Honestly, I've always suspected a fitness issue tracing back into my investigation of the dreaded late period collapse. Just can't sustain the punishing schedule of a long playoff run.

True, but it would be a shame to fall to the Rags.

Is that a subtle indication of 'disrespect' :P ? If even fans like us are susceptible, we cannot blame the players for underestimating the opposition. They paid the price in a costly Game 1, as had Tampa and Boston in the series for underestimating us.

I honestly think all we need is 1 win.

IMO I feel that the Rags have a feeling that they will win this in 4 games and I think if we win 1 of the next 2 games the pressure will be on them and they will crack.

Go Habs Go!

The reality is that our best player is out for the series. The odds of us winning this series are low. But to want retribution, when seeking it would also reduce the odds of us winning by virtue of not playing our game, is just silly. I see absolutely no good coming out of it.

The best retribution would be to come back & win the series.

The best retribution would be to come back & win the series.

We all agree on that. I think we have some discrepancy on how to go about giving ourselves the best odds for doing that. The rumor now is that Price has a fairly deep gash on his leg (no idea if that's true, just saw this floating around twitter), in which case it's clear it was provoked by a reckless play from Kreider. He purposely went in blades up, whether you believe he purposely crashed the goalie or not. To me, crashing Lundqvist's net became fair game the moment Kreider did that. We can worry about fighting Kreider next year; taking him out doesn't help our cause all that much. For now, I want to even up the goalie losses to give ourselves an even shot at winning the series, and if the league's going to allow an intentional injury to our goalie, I'm 100% behind intentionally injuring theirs. Nothing personal against Lundqvist, I would even say he's a goalie I like more than many others, but in this case, the NHL's failure to provide justice off the ice reinforces my wish to see it delivered on the ice.

Guest Regis2

I don't have confidence in them without Price.

Game 2 they outshot the Rangers and still lost .

You can expect the Rangers to play better next game .

But how much better can you expect the Habs to play

Guest Regis2

All fine and dandy if you think the Rangers are going to play the same way they did in Game # 2 .

They know they were outplayed and they have to play better

All fine and dandy if you think the Rangers are going to play the same way they did in Game # 2 .

They know they were outplayed and they have to play better

Yeah I'm sure they will be better and we won't outplay them as much but I think the habs will play their best and the Rags can't match that IMO.

We all agree on that. I think we have some discrepancy on how to go about giving ourselves the best odds for doing that. The rumor now is that Price has a fairly deep gash on his leg (no idea if that's true, just saw this floating around twitter), in which case it's clear it was provoked by a reckless play from Kreider. He purposely went in blades up, whether you believe he purposely crashed the goalie or not. To me, crashing Lundqvist's net became fair game the moment Kreider did that. We can worry about fighting Kreider next year; taking him out doesn't help our cause all that much. For now, I want to even up the goalie losses to give ourselves an even shot at winning the series, and if the league's going to allow an intentional injury to our goalie, I'm 100% behind intentionally injuring theirs. Nothing personal against Lundqvist, I would even say he's a goalie I like more than many others, but in this case, the NHL's failure to provide justice off the ice reinforces my wish to see it delivered on the ice.

I don't buy the gash on his leg theory. If it had been a gash, they would have taken him off the ice immediately for treatment (stitches). He was clearly seen on TV before game 2 wearing a brace,,, which is yet another indication that it was something much more serious.

I don't buy the gash on his leg theory. If it had been a gash, they would have taken him off the ice immediately for treatment (stitches).

This is what i think too - seems strange if there was actual broken skin (i.e. cut) that he would have continued playing - the blood, even if not apparent right away - would have leaked through his equipment after a minute or 2.

He was clearly seen on TV before game 2 wearing a brace,,, which is yet another indication that it was something much more serious.

Yes, but thankfully it was an over-the-pants brace - the type of thing you often wear with just a sore joint or muscle, so again, cant read too too much into that. At least he wasn't on crutches or something.

Stop dumping the puck to the boards to chase. Rangers always come up on top in the battle of the boards. Use the middle of the ice and revert to the traditional passing game. Get into the dirty areas in front of goal and crash the crease.

Oh, forecheck harder and complete the checks because our one-handed efforts look weak in comparison.

Habs' play pattern is becoming predictable, and Rangers know how to counter. PK needs to take his shot away from the point. Everybody knows he'll shoot from there. If not, he'll pass to Markov who'll return the pass. Rangers find it easy to shut their shots down because they know where they'll shoot from.

Three points:

1. Tokarski has now given the Rangers some food for thought, that perhaps they won't be able to just pelt a young goalie and win the series easily. I still feel like we're big underdogs in the series, but at least there's some doubt in the Rangers' game.

2. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves in interpreting this win... we played poorly, and this could easily be a 3-0 Rangers series lead, whereas it's hard to argue we should be up 2-1. Game 4, quite obviously, will be paramount to the way things go... right now, I would peg our chances of winning that game somewhere between 35-40%. If we can get back home with the series 2-2, that's a whole different ballgame because it's a series reset, but right now, it still feels like we're playing catch-up, both in the series score and on the ice.

3. The defence was abysmal last night. As a group, it was quite possibly their worst game of the entire season. The passes were awful, the decision-making was slow, even routine plays were complete disasters. If you look at the first goal, you have Subban failing to get the puck in when he's the last guy back, then you have an even bigger mistake in Gorges taking out his own goalie. Gorges' slide is Defending 101. A guy has to know he can't go straight back into the goalie and he certainly can't do it with that kind of momentum. Players are taught to slide at an angle to avoid the crease when they're in junior, so to me that's a mental lapse of epic proportion. On the tying goal, we've already gone over Emelin and how he shouldn't have been in the crease and should have had his eyes on the puck. Again, a lack of concentration and awareness more than anything. Weaver also struggled to clear the zone on a number of occasions last night, in what was his most difficult non-Murray-paired game of his stay with us. If we're going to win going forward, MT needs to correct the way the D is moving the puck and needs to consider bumping Emelin off the second pairing, either to the 3rd pairing left side or straight to the pressbox.

2. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves in interpreting this win... we played poorly, and this could easily be a 3-0 Rangers series lead, whereas it's hard to argue we should be up 2-1. Game 4, quite obviously, will be paramount to the way things go... right now, I would peg our chances of winning that game somewhere between 35-40%. If we can get back home with the series 2-2, that's a whole different ballgame because it's a series reset, but right now, it still feels like we're playing catch-up, both in the series score and on the ice.

I agree with you, but by the same token we outplayed them for most of game 2 and we could say that the series could just as easily have been 1-1 going into New York. I'm not arguing that we're not still clear underdogs, but we haven't been completely outmatched here.

With that said, we definitely need a better showing on Sunday. From the D in particular, as you pointed out.

Three points:

1. Tokarski has now given the Rangers some food for thought, that perhaps they won't be able to just pelt a young goalie and win the series easily. I still feel like we're big underdogs in the series, but at least there's some doubt in the Rangers' game.

3. The defence was abysmal last night. As a group, it was quite possibly their worst game of the entire season. The passes were awful, the decision-making was slow, even routine plays were complete disasters. If you look at the first goal, you have Subban failing to get the puck in when he's the last guy back, then you have an even bigger mistake in Gorges taking out his own goalie. Gorges' slide is Defending 101. A guy has to know he can't go straight back into the goalie and he certainly can't do it with that kind of momentum. Players are taught to slide at an angle to avoid the crease when they're in junior, so to me that's a mental lapse of epic proportion. On the tying goal, we've already gone over Emelin and how he shouldn't have been in the crease and should have had his eyes on the puck. Again, a lack of concentration and awareness more than anything. Weaver also struggled to clear the zone on a number of occasions last night, in what was his most difficult non-Murray-paired game of his stay with us. If we're going to win going forward, MT needs to correct the way the D is moving the puck and needs to consider bumping Emelin off the second pairing, either to the 3rd pairing left side or straight to the pressbox.

I agree with you, but by the same token we outplayed them for most of game 2 and we could say that the series could just as easily have been 1-1 going into New York. I'm not arguing that we're not still clear underdogs, but we haven't been completely outmatched here.

With that said, we definitely need a better showing on Sunday. From the D in particular, as you pointed out.

Isn't this just like the Habs? Let's all face it... the team has yet to play firing on all cylinders in this series. And as a result they are hanging on by a thread depending on the heroics of the few. The big question as far as I'm concerned is why?

At a time of the year when a team needs things running effectively and for the most part set in stone, we're still seeing pebbles thrown together. The Canadiens may be the most change-prone team in the history of the game! It has become their identity. But whatever... it will no doubt continue. Beaulieu could be the next player mis-interpreted as needing to sit out in favor of Francis Bouillon... the next Bournival situation of a veteran vs. youth regardless of how error prone the vets have been.

IMO... Too often, the management and coaching staff seem to have no clue when it comes to identifying what is working "as a team" and what isn't... who is working and who isn't. Too often a singular change (like inserting one player like Tokarski) masks other poor decisions that require maintaining a level of consistency as a line or defense pairing.

IMO... lines that did work are/were subsequently broken up to accomodate the short-comings of one player on another line... often with a ripple affect throughout the line-up. This continued strategy (if you want to call it that), makes chemistry redundant. And so here we are waiting for the next change to occur... what's next?

Maybe its just me but I think we need to shoot more as we get in their end.

I know they like to look for the cross pass but the Rags have done a great job of taking those passing lanes away from us.

Anyone else think Prust gets suspended?

A couple of thoughts from game 3.

• Are the NY Rangers the fastest team in the league? Or are we just terrible decision makers when trying to move the puck out of our own zone? Last night was embarrassing. Constantly turning the puck over and really poor breaking out. The ice was tilted all night, to the tune of 37-25.
  • The important takeaway was that Therrien was out-coached and the players were out-played. We won another game because of goaltending. Which has been the consistent thread this season. Carey Price, and now Dustin Tokarski.

Archived