The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Series Thread: Round 3 vs. the NY Rangers

BigTed3

38 members have voted

1. 1. What will it be?

A couple of thoughts from game 3.

• Are the NY Rangers the fastest team in the league? Or are we just terrible decision makers when trying to move the puck out of our own zone? Last night was embarrassing. Constantly turning the puck over and really poor breaking out. The ice was tilted all night, to the tune of 37-25.
  • The important takeaway was that Therrien was out-coached and the players were out-played. We won another game because of goaltending. Which has been the consistent thread this season. Carey Price, and now Dustin Tokarski.
  1. Combination of the two, probably. Rangers are fast, but the Habs make them look much, much faster with bad/lazy/slow/tired play.
  2. Yes, we were outplayed, but we outplayed the Rangers in Game 2 IMO and lost. It's a game of bounces. Plus, one of the main advantages in coaching is line combinations, and the home team with "last change" has lost every game so far.

Basically, the Habs definitely do need to play better, and I believe Alain Vigneault is a better coach than Therrien, but I also believe that the team that beat Boston is, when it shows up, a better team than the Rangers. Problem is the same as it's been for two decades: inconsistency and inability to finish. When the Habs play poorly, it only magnifies these problems while allowing other teams to appear much stronger.

But I'll tell ya, this "running out of gas" thing is getting really old to me. There's no earthly reason the Habs should be any more "out of gas" than the Rangers. In fact, it's the Rangers that have played two seven-game series already, while the Habs breezed by Tampa Bay in four -- the only team in the playoffs to sweep a series so far. It's probably a good thing I don't live in Montreal and go see many games at the Bell Center, because I would have thrown stuff on the ice years ago when they play like this in times where they should be more motivated than ever and have their "system" totally dialed in by then.....if there even is a "system," that is. Sometimes I'm not so sure.

Anyone else think Prust gets suspended?

probably... but I watched the hit in slo-mo & it was RIGHT in the chest... ( & it wasn't "that" late).. Prust's shoulder hits at bottom neck/collarbone area , bicep was dead in the logo & elbow was below the logo... nothing "high" or to the head that I could see.

I heard today tho that Stephan is out in-definitely with a broken jaw ( announced right before :rolleyes: Prust has his phone call).

Hit took him out & the fall on "ice" broke the jaw is my thinking... so 2 game suspension... for the ICE !

Three points:

1. Tokarski has now given the Rangers some food for thought, that perhaps they won't be able to just pelt a young goalie and win the series easily. I still feel like we're big underdogs in the series, but at least there's some doubt in the Rangers' game.

Agreed. I dont know if it will or wont affect how they play, but its definitely made things more difficult for them.

2. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves in interpreting this win... we played poorly, and this could easily be a 3-0 Rangers series lead, whereas it's hard to argue we should be up 2-1. Game 4, quite obviously, will be paramount to the way things go... right now, I would peg our chances of winning that game somewhere between 35-40%. If we can get back home with the series 2-2, that's a whole different ballgame because it's a series reset, but right now, it still feels like we're playing catch-up, both in the series score and on the ice.

Also agree. We did not play great hockey for most of last night. We have a lot of work to do but I think that win will give the entire squad more jump and life. Going into the game it was like "one bad move & you're out" we managed to not only come back, but also survive the letdown of the late, tying goal. I think the team will feed off of that & deliver a much stronger game 4. Obviously, like any hockey game, a bad bounce & who knows, but if we manage to get an early goal & take the crowd out of it well... ;)

3. The defence was abysmal last night. As a group, it was quite possibly their worst game of the entire season.

Couldnt agree more. I also believe it was the worst game Ive ever seen this group of Dmen play. To a man they were making mistakes - they made the nigh much harder on Tokarski than it need to have been.

The passes were awful, the decision-making was slow, even routine plays were complete disasters. If you look at the first goal, you have Subban failing to get the puck in when he's the last guy back, then you have an even bigger mistake in Gorges taking out his own goalie. Gorges' slide is Defending 101. A guy has to know he can't go straight back into the goalie and he certainly can't do it with that kind of momentum. Players are taught to slide at an angle to avoid the crease when they're in junior, so to me that's a mental lapse of epic proportion. On the tying goal, we've already gone over Emelin and how he shouldn't have been in the crease and should have had his eyes on the puck. Again, a lack of concentration and awareness more than anything. Weaver also struggled to clear the zone on a number of occasions last night, in what was his most difficult non-Murray-paired game of his stay with us. If we're going to win going forward, MT needs to correct the way the D is moving the puck and needs to consider bumping Emelin off the second pairing, either to the 3rd pairing left side or straight to the pressbox.

Also agree. Other than Gorges' huge gaffe on that first goal, I think he was one of the better dmen all night (not saying much) - Markov was the only consistenly decent dman (although he had some bad plays also). Subban may have played his worst game in a couple of years. Weaver was uncharacteristically bad/rattled.

But I'll tell ya, this "running out of gas" thing is getting really old to me. There's no earthly reason the Habs should be any more "out of gas" than the Rangers. In fact, it's the Rangers that have played two seven-game series already, while the Habs breezed by Tampa Bay in four -- the only team in the playoffs to sweep a series so far. It's probably a good thing I don't live in Montreal and go see many games at the Bell Center, because I would have thrown stuff on the ice years ago when they play like this in times where they should be more motivated than ever and have their "system" totally dialed in by then.....if there even is a "system," that is. Sometimes I'm not so sure.

Well, many believe the rangers have been running on the emotion of St. Louis' mother passing. Obviously at some point that emotion runs out (I think the first loss since then will have a big impact on that). Maybe they will come down to earth next game....

Also agree. Other than Gorges' huge gaffe on that first goal, I think he was one of the better dmen all night (not saying much) - Markov was the only consistenly decent dman (although he had some bad plays also). Subban may have played his worst game in a couple of years. Weaver was uncharacteristically bad/rattled.

If you watch that play, yes, Gorges did slide into Tokes and take him out of the play, but Gorges makes a save on the play as well. But the puck went into the air, and Hagelin was there to knock it into the net with his stick (which, interestingly, was never reviewed for being hit with a high stick). What was Gorges supposed to do....make two saves from his knees in the crease? Vanek should have been there about ten minutes sooner to make a defensive play. Pierre was right about that play by Vanek when he called it UNACCEPTABLE.

It was a comedy of errors last night (but we weren't laughing, were we?)....and they still managed to win the game against all odds. Hockey's a crazy game sometimes.

If you watch that play, yes, Gorges did slide into Tokes and take him out of the play, but Gorges makes a save on the play as well.

Credit to Josh for that mid-air save, yes, but had he not knocked his goalie out of position, he wouldnt have had to do that.

But the puck went into the air, and Hagelin was there to knock it into the net with his stick (which, interestingly, was never reviewed for being hit with a high stick).

I was surprised it wasn't looked at also. I think it would have counted but it was pretty close.

What was Gorges supposed to do....make two saves from his knees in the crease?

No, he was supposed to not knock his goalie down :P lol. :)

Vanek should have been there about ten minutes sooner to make a defensive play. Pierre was right about that play by Vanek when he called it UNACCEPTABLE.

I dont totally fault Gorges - he made a bad play but played overall a pretty strong night. Vanek was once again very very bad & he was not alone in that regard.

OK, so Carcillo got suspended for 10 games. I'm sure if his name had been "Crosby" or "Chara" they wouldn't have even had a hearing. (They might have had the phone call, but just to discuss lunch plans or something.)

OK, so Carcillo got suspended for 10 games. I'm sure if his name had been "Crosby" or "Chara" they wouldn't have even had a hearing. (They might have had the phone call, but just to discuss lunch plans or something.)

Actually i think anyone that did that to a ref/linesman would be out. That was one of the dumbest things ive seen in a while. Too bad it was their worst player, mind you at least we're less likely to be run from behind now.

With Derrick Brassard out with an injury (day to day) and reportedly Derek Stepan out with a broken jaw, that takes out there 1st and 2nd line Centre for game #4 possibly.

I think Brad Richards is their de-facto #1 centre & Zuccarello was their highest scoring centre this year too... but yeah, 2 of their top 4 centres for sure. On a team like the Rags (that divvies up their scoring) thats a pretty big deal too.

I think Brad Richards is their de-facto #1 centre & Zuccarello was their highest scoring centre this year too... but yeah, 2 of their top 4 centres for sure. On a team like the Rags (that divvies up their scoring) thats a pretty big deal too.

Stepan, Zuccarello, and Richards all score at about the same pace. One of them being out sounds great to me!

Rumor is that Stepan might still be playing, but would just need to wear a cage. Brassard is day-to-day and could also be back... likely has a concussion. So basically, they could be down 2 centers or down none at all.

So that would assume he wouldn't have surgery right away then. THere's no way - cage or otherwise - a guy has jaw surgery & then plays... unless of course the Rags are totally blowing it out of proportion or something. "surgery" could just mean having a mole removed after all :P

So that would assume he wouldn't have surgery right away then. THere's no way - cage or otherwise - a guy has jaw surgery & then plays... unless of course the Rags are totally blowing it out of proportion or something. "surgery" could just mean having a mole removed after all :P

Rangers own statement was that Stepan would have surgery tonight but that his status for Game 4 was not yet determined. One of the NY reporters stated Stepan could still play with a cage, as per Rangers officials. Given Stepan played through it and that his initial x-ray was normal, this seems like it must be a very small fracture and if anything, probably requires a small surgery. I have no idea, maybe they're just wiring his jaw shut or putting a pin in... didn't Pat Lafontaine play through a broken jaw years ago (I think he missed time but came back with a cage even before they unwired his jaw)?

Rumor is that Stepan might still be playing, but would just need to wear a cage. Brassard is day-to-day and could also be back... likely has a concussion. So basically, they could be down 2 centers or down none at all.

Why would the Rangers play someone with a broken jaw that requires surgery? Could this be exaggerated? The rumor untrue? I'm sure the Rangers have others capable of stepping in.

I have no idea, maybe they're just wiring his jaw shut or putting a pin in...

Yeah, there's no way to know i guess without more info but I know a couple of people who have had jaw surgery - from minor to major - and even the smallest of them led to excruciating pan from the simplest bodily contact so it seems very very unlikely he could come back this series if at all this post season.

didn't Pat Lafontaine play through a broken jaw years ago (I think he missed time but came back with a cage even before they unwired his jaw)?

Lafontaine had a special face shield built so he could come back early but he still missed like 2 months (had his jaw wired shut) but his break was pretty significant. I don't think Stepan's is anything like that.

So weird. Lots of misinformation & head games going both ways I think.

This is already sounding fishy. NHL.com changed the story, because earlier today it was written as though Stepan had already had surgery. Now it reads he's "scheduled to have surgery Friday night" and his status for Sunday's game "won't be known until Saturday at the earliest." What? Broken Jaw Surgery Friday Night and a possible announcement the next day that he's good to play an NHL playoff game the following day? Wow. The miracles of modern medicine never cease to amaze me. I'll bet knowing that Prust was suspended for two games even makes the healing that much faster, or the surgery that much more likely to be successful.

I wonder how long it will be before the Department of Player Safety changes its verbiage to something like, "It's important to note that even though Stepan returned to action in the game, it was announced early the next day by the Rangers organization that he might have had a serious injury that might have required surgery...."

Agreed. I dont know if it will or wont affect how they play, but its definitely made things more difficult for them.

I dont know either if it will have an impact on the Rangers' game but I'm certain it will have one on the Habs game. He showed them he can have their back.

The next game is the series... how many times have we heard that one eh?

IMHO, Considering that the Habs have yet to play their collective best it will no doubt be the next turning point of the series. If the Habs win one way or another (hopefully in a more convincing fashion), it becomes a best of three... lose and its win three or nothing. I'm still shocked that it comes down to this but at the same time not totally surprised. The odds and the hockey gods are hopefully aligned for the Habs.

I heard Brassard has confirmed he'll be playing game 4. TSN Article.

Therrien: "If your last name starts with 'Bou' then you're playing in Game 4"... Bouillon and Bournival back in regular rotation at practice, Beaulieu and Prust out.

Bournival back in is the right call, playing Bouillon on the other hand over Beaulieu is wrong imo

Archived